1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Advice Needed- LG vs. HTC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lawlibanc, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lawlibanc

lawlibanc Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the best forum to be asking but I could use the advice.

I was ready to pull the trigger and buy the Rezound after the price dropped to $199, but then heard the LG Spectrum was set to realease on the 19th for $199 also. I'm not a big hardware person but the specs look pretty comparable between the two.

My big concern is how long will the phones be supported & receive updates? I know you can't shake the magic 8 ball and predict the future, but who do you trust more to continue supporting the phones HTC or LG? Based on my phone (Droid Eris stuck on Eclair) & my husband's phone (Ally with Froyo), neither company has the best record. And if I buy a phone that doesn't receive ICS, I will not be a happy person.

And while neither of us are big into rooting (I only rooted the Eris this month), how easy is it to root LG phones? I saw that HTC unlooked the bootloader on the Rezound, making it easier to root (or that's what I'm assuming). But my husband hasn't let me take a crack at his Ally yet so I don't how rooting LGs will compare.

All my other questions will have to wait until I can compare the two phones side by side.

Any & all comments, suggestions welcome!

Advertisement

2. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    I was a LG phone fan until my last two LG's turned out rather poorly constructed and my friends lg's were also junk. That said I've never used am lg Android phone and haven't heard anything about the one you mentioned. I'd love to see they have gotten back to making good, Quality phones again.

The rezound is great, everything works and I haven't had any of the annoying glitches that bothered me with my Droid X. It's been perfect and I feel comfortable recommending it but would never choose it without testing other phones first.

lawlibanc likes this.
  3. kishin14

kishin14 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    The LG Nitro on ATT is the same phone and is already rooted. So it may take a little bit of time, but I definitely think the Spectrum will be rooted. However, the rezound will have much bigger dev support. LG phones are not that popular and many devs have already upgraded to either the GNex or rezound.

LG has also stated that the Spectrum will get ICS. Probably not before the rezound but I think the company will deliver on its promise.

Having checked out the Nitro, I can honestly say that it has the best HD screen of any phone I've ever seen. Yes, I think it's better than the rezound's. Honestly, as much as I love the display on my rezound, the Spectrum's screen will be clearly better. It's IPS display also has a max brightness of 500 nits (versus about 300 nits on the rezound), which means far better visibility in direct sunlight as well.

That being said, the display is the ONLY thing I think is better on the Spectrum. While the build quality looks a little better than the Nitro's, it still looks inferior to the rezound's. It also only has 4gigs of internal memory. 4gigs? In this day and age, I think all smartphone should come with 16gigs like the rezound. Based on reviews, battery life on the Nitro was very subpar. I don't think the Spectrum's will be any better. No search soft key either for those that care.

If the rezound was still $300, I think the choice would be much tougher. But since they are the same price, I think the rezound is the better choice. And lets not forget the $100 earbuds that come with the rezound.

lawlibanc likes this.
  4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Another positive about the Rezound is you already know what kind of issues (minimal at best, OMG PINK BUTTONS!) to expect with the Rezound. With the new phone, you'll have to hope someone's experienced the same issues that you have and see if there's a fix.

lawlibanc likes this.
  5. leroybrute

leroybrute Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    I also would include the the rezound camera with the F2.2 lense. The LG has a 4.5 screen compared to the 4.3 on the rezound. How do they compare feel in hand? Plus if your not into rooting you must decide between the htc sense ui or the lg ui.
    Most important how do the radios compare (3g and 4g handoffs, data drops etc.) Hard to beat the radios in the rezound right now.
    I personally trust hTC as the phone with hardware and build quality. We will see on software support and updates.

lawlibanc likes this.
  6. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    I like rooting my phones and flashing different roms all the time, but with the Rezound, I wasn't all too eager to root. That's because most everything works so well stock and it's so fast, that I didn't really feel the need to root it. So if you don't plan to root, this is a good phone for you.

Like leroybrute said, you gotta try how it feels in your hand. That was a big factor in my decision to get the Rezound. The Rezound was completely off my radar until I felt it up at the store. ;)

lawlibanc likes this.
  7. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    HTC updates faster then LG.

lawlibanc likes this.
  8. acousticshade

acousticshade Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Both are nice phones. I got the Rezound several weeks ago and was looking closely at the LG phone, but will keep the Rezound because of the nice headphones, better camera and better GUI. The downside with the Rezound in the battery life and the bulkiness (oh and yes the PINK buttons. ahhhhhhhh).

9. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Android Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2010
    Male
    San Diego, CA
    I would love LG to get back on level. That brand is one of my favorites. I haven't had one of their phones since my first camera phone though.

10. smokinjoewilson

None

Dec 2, 2009
    Dock Manager
    I have owned the Spectrum for over a week and I have to say it's a really nice phone. Compared to the droids X, X2 Droid3 the Spectrum blows them away. It's pretty darn fast and so far buttery smooth. Although I am not a big fan of the UI, I'm ok with it for now due to the phone being so fast and stable. The screen (well) if you have heard it is awesome, then you already know...because it is...I only get 3g in my area and it too is super stable, also since I'm stuck in a 3g area the battery lasts all day, granted I charge it nightly I'm at about 40% battery after being on from 6 am till 6 at night...Hope this helps someone. Don't be afraid of the LG name this phone really performs and for me feels great in my hand, also on the plus side it's super light.......

Tags: