1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Advice re Kingo Root debacle

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by skypilotpete, Aug 12, 2017.

1. skypilotpete

skypilotpete Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    I have a Samsung 7.7 GT-P6810 tablet. It's getting a bit old and won't do some things I want it to, so I thought I would have a go at rooting it. I read a seemingly authoritative article on an online PC magazine that spoke very highly of Kingo Root, so I decided to try it. I downloaded the PC desktop application, connected my tablet, activated USB debugging and ran the app. To my horror, throughout the rooting process all sorts of highly suspect crapware, such as online gambling apps and claims I had just won an iphone kept on appearing as part of the installation process. I didn't feel able to abort the process, as I didn't know if that would brick the device entirely. I eventually received a message saying that my device had been successfully rooted, and I then set about trying to remove everything - including Kingo Root - from the tablet. I'm not prepared to have anything on my tablet that installs this kind of crapware without any warning. However, I have been unable to completely get rid of the Kingo Root app. No matter what I do, SuperUser remains. The only uninstall related command I could find was a command to undo the rooting process. I ran this, and I am now told that my tablet is not rooted. However, SuperUser remains and can't be uninstalled through application manager. One forum post I found claimed that in order to uninstall it, you have to run the uninstall process while the tablet is rooted. So, I tried to re-root the tablet using KingoRoot again, but now I get an error message and KingoRoot won't run. I tried re-running the PC application with my tablet connected, but the PC application will not recognise my tablet. I just get a continual message saying "Please connect your device".

I have tried doing a complete factory reset, but SuperUser remains. I wonder if anyone here can help me resolve this.
    First, is there any way to completely get rid of SuperUser, which does not rely on KingoRoot?
    Second, is there any way to reliably check whether KingoRoot has let any dangerous malware on my tablet?
    Third, does anyone have enough experience with KingoRoot to confidently know that I don't need to worry about this process having compromised my security? Having had this experience, I feel very uncomfortable entering any of my passwords etc into any of my important apps.

Advertisement

2. Leon Marco

Leon Marco Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2017
    You shouldn't have unrooted your mobile. Those guys were just showing you a couple of advertisements. I have used kingoroot and they do install some apps.

First one is installed when your device is connected to the computer which gets install by ADB (which allows the computer to communicate with the mobile).

Second one is installed to let you manage you root permission. Treat rooting as opening of a gateway of all permissions blocked by Google. Now these permissions need to handled so that app handles it. You might see pop ups of that app when an app requiring root permissions is used.

The third one is a useless app that you might see as a lock screen. I deleted it.

3. Leon Marco

Leon Marco Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2017
    The app turns itself to a system which cannot be removed (unless you have rooted your mobile). Does your computer sense your mobile?

4. Aniruddha060

Aniruddha060 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    You should be able to remove it by deactivating the use of kingoroot as an administrator. Open settings-> security-> device administrators. Uncheck kingoroot. Then you should be able to uninstall it from application manager. I've added screenshots from my phone. Though I uninstalled it a long time ago. This should give you the general idea.

Also if you haven't rooted your phone using other software and still want to root your phone do not go for the one click root methods.

Attached Files:

#4 Aniruddha060, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. skypilotpete

skypilotpete Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I have decided that my level of technical expertise is not up to messing around any more. I will settle with simply disabling Superuser and proceeding as per usual.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    "Angels and ministers of grace defend us!"
    Hamlet, act 1, scene 4.

7. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician