1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

*advice wanted from the guides in this forum and Steve58*

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trophynuts, Sep 20, 2011.

1. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    VS, BO, Darkcyber, Colchiro if your out there ....Steven58 you as well..any other guide that i forgot as well..i seem to be at a point of possibly leaving this device soon....I don't really want to but here is the thing.

i have 3 individual burn in spots on my screen that seem to be getting worse. Not rapidly but i have noticed in the last 3 months they are more evident. only on white screens mainly but its there.

Also my back button doesn't seem to register every time I press it anymore. It definitely doesn't click at all like the other buttons when you press them.

I bought the DroidX on Launch Day. A week later i got a new one as an exchange for the speaker buzz in the first one and i've been on that one ever since. I thought about doing an insurance claim on it with Asurion but i'm having trouble deciding if i should. The MAIN reason i haven't done it before now is because I DO NOT WANT AN X2 as a replacement. However if i were to call them and some how talk them in to giving me an Inc2 i might consider it. I really like the forums here in the DX section and you guys have been great over the last year.

I know at some point, probably in the next 3 to 6 months, a lot of us are going to part ways and go with a new device.

I guess i just want some of your guys input if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Geezz, group hug time already? :D

How much more time before you can't use it any more? Does it get hot a lot? Do you use the auto brightness setting?

Are you eligible in March like me? I would think the early upgrade notices should be coming out early next year... might cost an extra $50, maybe $100 to upgrade before then.

There's plenty of new phone debates in the main section.

There are button apps like Button Savior or SoftKeys for ROOT USERS that might buy you some time on that back button. O/W I'd check at your friendly VW store and see what they think, if it's going to require an Assurance claim or not.

3. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Production Engineer Mngr.
    Stockton, CA
    Sounds like pretty sound advice from Colchiro, don't know that there's anything to add.

Maybe risk getting the X2 and sell it when your upgrade comes up to recoup some money.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Nothing to add other than I feel left out.

5. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

6. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    I just checked...i'm already available for a discounted price....i can get the Inc2 for 149 or the bionic for 249...i really don't want to use my discounted price card....actually my next device i get from VZW i had planned on just paying full retail for ......not sure what to do lol

7. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    might i add that i am a world traveler very often about 4 to 5 times a year and that is why i'm even considering the Inc2

8. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    im eligible in march as well, but as of right now, both of my lines are eligible... so im going to take both of them :) i may have the droid prime in december, because i get paid 3 times that month ^_^ woohoo, go me :)

are the burn sports from being outdoors? or something hot that has burnt the screen? such as keys, change, stuff of that nature?

9. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i am going to go out on a limb, and say i believe the droid prime will be a world phone...

10. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

not a chance. I always put my phone in the truck where that wouldn't happen.

+1 to getting paid 3 times in December lol. It helps with buying Xmas gifts.

11. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

yeah i need some more deets on that. if it were to be a World phone AND 4G that would be awesome sauce. ..

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

I would not tolerate those issues with a device, just to add my two cents worth for you, trophynuts.

Although we do see posts around the various device areas here talking about how they finally got a good refurb after several tries; sometimes five or six exchanges! I would have moved on to another model of Android device long before that. ;)

13. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

yeah i really don't want to start a refurb dance and go through 5 devices before getting a good one.

14. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    im not buying anyone christmas gifts, im hoping to have a 2nd job by then, that will buy christmas gifts lol, only my niece and nephew will get christmas gifts from me lol, the rest of the money will be christmas gifts to me :)

well it is going to be a 4G LTE phone, im just really really, almost positive it will be a world phone, most of the new phones coming out from samsung are world phones. i just foresee it being one

problem with that is, a replacement after your initial device is no longer covered on the manufacturers 1 year warranty, instead you have 30-90 days to discover issues with the refurb, its how they got me to claim insurance, maybe i was scammed, but i am not sure at all

15. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    good points VS. You would think that Sammy would not spend the money to make a special phone for VZW that didn't include the GSM radios in it....if it is 4G/World then that thing will probably have two separate sims in it. One for LTE and one for GSM world travel....i hope that doesn't make it a brick to have all of that in there.

btw i'm liking that new Avatar

16. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i bet it would be 1 sim, as i would assume 4G LTE sim would have the gsm radios integrated into it.

and thanks, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden 3 when his past misdeeds finally catch up to him, he starts turning into a fiend, they say this will be the best ninja gaiden yet.. going to be hard, the other 2 were very impressive.

i think i will stick with this avatar for a while lol

17. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    trophy,

Hey, not much to add here device advice-wise. To me, what's really important is that you are a valued and contributing member here at AF, regardless of what device you currently own or use on a daily basis.

I've seen you in many different device's forums here at AF and I'm sure that if you move on from the DX, you'll still pop in from time to time (I know I still plan to, whether its the Prime, Bionic, etc.).

We'll all be around (somewhere) and hope you will be, too! :)

Cheers!

trophynuts likes this.
  18. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

You're right.. :) but what I keep seeing, and posting here and there when the issue of what to do about a lemon comes up, is the wide disparity and variability in responses and offered remedies by store reps.

I keep telling the story about the lady who just kept going from store to store (Verizon in her case) until she got what she wanted: a different device, even though she was past the "buyer's remorse" time.

Other anecdotal accounts, like mine back when I had Blackberry issues, include leaving the store, then going right back in the next day and making sure to talk to a different rep in there. It worked. ;) I got my exchange.

19. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

thanks man. I try and spread the help. Now that i'm going to be home for a few months i may toss my name in to Phases for that Guide spot.

scary alien likes this.
  20. emaN resU

emaN resU Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    Systems engineer
    Arizona
    I totally agree with Scary. You should have applied during the last recruitment stage. I think you would make a great guide.
    Anyway, I think you should stick it out with the X for another month at least. There are quite a few new shiny toys about to drop. Either way, good luck, and like Scary said, I know we will be seeing you around no matter which device you get. :D

trophynuts and scary alien like this.
  21. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    The Vigor and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (or whatever it's going to be called) are both going to be superior phones that should take you out to 20 months of usage. You mentioned that you had Asurion, but my question to you is if you have the full coverage which included extended warranty.

If you have an extended warranty, you can just swap out the phone for a refurb and sell it at a handsome price, when the phone of your choice comes out. All vzw refurbs that I have ever gotten, have been fine, fyi.

Regarding getting an X2, I've noticed that folks on here say that Asurion or Verizon is upgrading warranty/insurance phones. The Incredible was no longer available, for instance, so they were sending out newer phones. Not so, in my experience. I just swapped out my wife's Dinc and that's what they sent her. So, it may not be a Dx2 that you get. Even if you do get a DX2, it's a newer device and is worth more when you sell it for the big boys coming out next month or early November.

I think I'd be going over to the Prime when it comes out. The next step, after that, would be to wait until spring for the quad-cores.

Good luck.

trophynuts likes this.
  22. anabsa

anabsa Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Middle of Nowhere NE
    I just recieved an insurance replacement on 9/20 and it was the original X. If you want to keep the phone they seem to have them still.

23. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    this is so true, its why i always say if you talk to a phone rep, and they dont get you what you want, call back and keep trying lol

24. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    thanks for the feedback guys.

25. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US

BOOM! thanks for the reminder Steven i do have the extended warranty :)

Total Equipment Coverage* offers combines the benefits of Asurion