1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sewnlady, Aug 9, 2011.

1. sewnlady

sewnlady Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I am considering getting a new phone. I have chosen three possibilities. One is the Samsung Mesmerize (2) is the HTC Desire (3) the HTC Merge. I currently have a blackberry 8530. I would like a phone that is dependable and will have the memory and speed to use for my business. i am a little hesitant about the touch screen phones which is why I was considering the Merge. I have read lots of reviews and it seems that the Desire is a good choice. My son has one and it fits well in my hand and is much lighter than my blackberry. I don't understand all the conversations about rooting or what it is and why I would want to do it. It seems like it is a little too technical for my needs. I would really appreciate any advice that anyone would like to share with me. thanks

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Welcome to AF!

One thing we have plenty of around here is opinions on the different phones.

You may want to ask in our Android Lounge and have a look in there as well to see what pops up.

Android Lounge - Android Forums

Good luck!

sewnlady likes this.
  3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Rooting is not for everyone. In essence, rooting it obtaining admin rights on the phone so that you can manage/remove unwanted programs that come with the phone. Rooting is also the first step taken to place a custom rom on the phone which completely changes or modifies the look/use of the phone. I have had my phone for over a year and have not bothered with rooting. Not to say it isn't an option at some point... at least with an Android phone I have that option. That being said.. welcome to Android Forums. I think you will enjoy the phones with android os. Don't be intimidated by the touch screen. You will love it once you use it a bit. I too had a BB and once I got my android phone.. I've never looked back. We have sub forums for each of the phones you are interested in. Each has users of that device.. talking through problems and sharing tips. You might want to read through each to get a feel for each of the devices prior to a purchase. Here is a link to all the Android phones. Click the link for each of the devices of interest to join in it's area. Android Phones - Android Forums Best of luck to you.

sewnlady likes this.
  4. sewnlady

sewnlady Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the advice and the answers to my questions. I tried to type on my husbands Mesmerize and my fingernails (which are not really very long) seemed to interfere with the touch screen quite a bit. I seem to use my fingernails to type on my blackberry the most I guess. Thanks though