1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Advisable to order for AT&T's network?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SaosinEngaged, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    I just switched over from the iPhone 4. I'm not a newbie to Android, I actually had the first Verizon Android phone (Droid 1) back in the day and switched last year to AT&T because the Android experience for me back then was lacking. I've used an iPhone 4 for a year now and honestly loved it, but I've seen Android definitely picking up steam and becoming a much better operating system in the past year.

I decided to switch back and I picked up the Infuse 4g. It's a really nice phone; I love the size and "4g" speeds, but reading about the Galaxy SII I realize how much better of a phone it is.

Would it be worthwhile to purchase the GSM unlocked SII for use on AT&T's network? 4G will function correctly?

I've never bought an unlocked phone and don't honestly know much about it. Would I be missing out on anything? I.E, would anything be disabled? Would I need the SIM from my Infuse to make it work? I have no problem hanging onto the Infuse and the SII.

Once again, is this a recommended route to take (using an unlocked phone in general).

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    short answer: yes

this phone caused me to eat the ETF from Sprint i wanted it so bad heh :)
    network, in my area, is better than Sprint. yes to "4G" speeds. in quotes because no one really has true 4G speeds here in US. i get, on average, about 3mb/s dl

SaosinEngaged likes this.
  3. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    So I would basically just pop the SIM card out of my phone and put it in the SII?

It would be "that simple?"

I may give my Infuse to my brother who is looking to switch to AT&T and would be getting a SIM anyway.

4. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Also where would be the best place to get it? I was looking at Amazon, but the one listed, someone's review stated it was a German version or something?

5. davidalow44

davidalow44 Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    It's a new phone and has some minor problems to be addressed in the firmware. Samsung creates different firmware versions for different countries and carriers. Their update schedule is not uniform, perhaps depending on who makes the most noise. If you're adventurous, there are guides online for using specialized tools for flashing just about any firmware.

6. geekaren

geekaren Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    I bought mine 6 weeks ago from ctinyc.com -- they were expensive but had excellent user reviews (important to me when buying from a co I haven't dealt with).

Mine also came with German language enabled. During set-up, I was able to select U.S. English, so it wasn't a problem.

7. garment69

garment69 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Ive had a few issues with ATT. mostly with MMS not working. I had to call ATT and they had to code my data plan differently. Now, all seems fine.

8. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    I pulled the SIM out of my Blackberry and it works perfectly with my GS2 including MMS. This is great for me as I can go back and forth between both devices.

Get the case mate "barely there" case for the SG2, it is the best I have found.

9. halfman21

halfman21 Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    DO you know what they did coding whys? I have having the same problem with mms. I am also having a problem turning 3g and going to edge where it somehow disables my sms messages. I can still receive messages but I get a send failure error, does anybody know why?