• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advise on buying Tablet

kristalsoldier

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2011
Hello:

I have the Acer A500, which was recently OTA updated to ICS. While my experience with the A500 has been good, I feel it is a bit heavy (given that I move around a lot) and the screen has too much of a glare which prevents me from reading out in the open. I have also found that there has been a slight - but noticeable - degradation of the battery (which is to be expected given that the tab is now over a year old).

I am now looking for a new tab. What I am looking for is the following:

(1) it has got to be lighter than the A500;

(2) Reasonable internal storage (which I will be augmenting with a SD card - I store my documents and movies on the external card);

(3) Screen glare (I don't know if anything can be done about this - I tried screen protectors etc. Honestly, my experience of using them has been sub-optimal and I am not inclined to use them again);

(4) Probably most important, it MUST come with ICS pre-installed and hopefully I should be able to root it as and when I want - I believe some of the tabs have their bootloader locked etc. I don't want that. Nor do I want a very closed system (I believe the Samsung Tab is something like that);

(5) Second most important element is a very good battery life.

(6) A full USB port is all good, but I have found that I have not really used it that often - so that is not an essential feature for me).

General points:

(1) I would probably upgrade again in a year's time - By then I expect JB from Google and Win8 from MS to have matured, which will give me more options. The iPad is not on my radar - nothing wrong with it, but it is not my cup of tea, in a manner of speaking.

(2) I am fine with the soft KB - so an external KB or equivalent thereof is not essential.

(3) This is somewhat urgent.

Given the above, what would you recommend? I intend to buy this in India. Budget - not an important consideration at this time.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones