• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help adw launcher dock icons help

harryzwd

Jul 20, 2010
NJ, USA
search seems to be my enemy so i need to post and ask for help.

how do i get the app drawer icon back onto the dock in adw launcher...?

somehow i dragged another icon on top of it and its gone...i've been all over the adw settings and cant figure it out. :mad:

and on top of this...how the hell do i get into the app drawer without that icon? this is maddening...

The swipe action was a possiblity, but i use those actions for other things. I just wanted the button back to open the app drawer. I lost it trying to remove an app from the home screen. I didn't realize they moved the trash to the top instead of the bottom, so out of habit, I place gtalk on top of app drawer button. I've never bothered with shortcuts before so I had no clue. Good to know.

Upvote 0
found this post from google search. was having the same issue. helped me much. thanks guys.

I could play with the software for 20 minutes and work it out or I can google it and find the answer in 45 seconds....as I just have. So thanks to the OP for asking the question and thanks also to the person who provided a simple, useful answer that Google helped me find...and my "problem" is resolved....AND....I've now learned a lot more about ADW launcher.

The usual driver for learning is need....and while curiosity is also important, you don't want to be fiddling around in the corner when what you need is an answer to get to where you're actually trying to go right NOW.

Now I know the functionality is there, and I needed it, I'll check it out in more detail.

Thanks! Awesome.

Upvote 0
The swipe action was a possiblity, but i use those actions for other things. I just wanted the button back to open the app drawer. I lost it trying to remove an app from the home screen. I didn't realize they moved the trash to the top instead of the bottom, so out of habit, I place gtalk on top of app drawer button. I've never bothered with shortcuts before so I had no clue. Good to know.

I did the exact same thing!..

If ADW had an intuitive way of getting the drawer launch icon back, there wouldnt be an issue at all.. I too spent 20 minutes digging through all the setting for a way to get the icon back.. I find having to adjust the swipe up and down actions to be a workaround for an issue with usability.
AND changing the swipe functions to get to the drawer doesnt in itself fix anything regarding the launch icon, which is the real issue..

Upvote 0
I had this same thing happen today as well. I'm glad someone was able to post a fix, because I wasn't able to figure it out on my own. I spent about 15 minutes trying what I thought were the most intuitive ways to fix it issue, and came up with nothing. I'm glad Google linked to this thread. It fixed my issue in 2 minutes flat!

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to me last night. I am so used to having the trash down there that I dragged an icon over the app drawer. I solved the issue by going into settings ->applications -> manage applications ->running and selecting ADW.Launcher -> clear data. unfortunately I didn't have a backup so I had to rebuild my screens. Now I have a backups :)

They should have an easier way to modify the dock or an option to reset the dock to the defaults.

Upvote 0
wow! this was so helpful I kept doing this over and over again because they used to have the recycle bin at the bottom so I got used to that and I tried to put the applications back but with no luck I did try all of the shortcuts but never found that one so I had to unistall and install back again which was such a pain cuz I had to start all over again and set my screens just the way I like them...so thank you so much!!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone!

Sounds like some great help for ADW - way to go!

Sometimes though, you might find something not so helpful.

When that happens, don't take matters into your own hands - that violates the rules in the two links in my sig.

Just hit that handy Report button to the left of the offensive post and let one of us red-name types handle it for you.

We can make it go away.

Reactions: pj9cos
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones