• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ADW Launcher

...Either push it to /system/app with adb, or use root explorer, ...

THANX! Well I must have been mixing steps in my testing as I believe I have it installed now... and maybe before but couldn't tell when I had used root explorer to copy it to /system/app... Now I only have Home+ and and Launcher=ADW... it does seem pretty smooth... now to try adding widgets and docking stuff...

Upvote 0
What is the Identifying feature to ensure I am actually seeing the default ADW home screen??? I can't really tell if I'm running it or Standard Launcher or Launcher2, or ?????

When you are on your home screen, press the menu key on your phone...if you see "ADWSettings" in the bottom right of the pop up menu...then you have it installed.

I think you would know when you launch the app drawer...by default, the apps are placed in a horizontal "pages" so you swipe left and right to access your apps versus scrolling up and down.

Upvote 0
When you are on your home screen, press the menu key on your phone...if you see "ADWSettings" in the bottom right of the pop up menu...then you have it installed....

Well not what I thought... I renamed original Launcher and Laucher2 to '-org'... then copy/pasted New Laucher.app to system/app... but it's Not then new Home/Laucher from what I can tell... No "ADWSetting" insetting menu... and looks like original...

Upvote 0
What is the Identifying feature to ensure I am actually seeing the default ADW home screen??? I can't really tell if I'm running it or Standard Launcher or Launcher2, or ?????

It doesn't mix well with helix, not sure about launcher 2.
Open the drawer and if you can scroll left and right, it's done.

vzw - nandroid back is your easiest solution. I too didn't know how to "undo" it when I needed. I am using it now and it's great. Like I said, doesn't mix with certain launchers it FCed nonstop on me with H2. Removed it and fixed.

Upvote 0
Opening the app bar is not an issue for me but closing it is. To open it, you can press and hold on the app launcher icon and then flick up. To close it, you have to find what is basically an invisible tab located above the app bar...kind of a pain but it's worth it. Hopefully it will be improved in future releases.

I don't know if my release is different from this post, I just installed it.
You don't need to hit that tiny invisible tab. If you press down on an app icon and drag down it will close it too.

Upvote 0
ADW comes standard on the new SuperBadCM51.2.3GJ4. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It's fast and I have had NO FC's of any kind. Just in case though, I made a BART backup... ha ha ha. I expect no issues with this. Can't wait for a new ADW version to come out!

Attachments

• Germany 2010.jpg
    Germany 2010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 73
  • Germany 2010 (3).jpg
    Germany 2010 (3).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Germany 2010 (2).jpg
    Germany 2010 (2).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
It doesn't mix well with helix, not sure about launcher 2.
Open the drawer and if you can scroll left and right, it's done.

vzw - nandroid back is your easiest solution. I too didn't know how to "undo" it when I needed. I am using it now and it's great. Like I said, doesn't mix with certain launchers it FCed nonstop on me with H2. Removed it and fixed.

Thanks issane for the tip.. I had thought I got rid of helix but when I go to applications and manage, then filter all I still see it but cannot install it from there.. is this something I need to do from a terminal emulator?

Upvote 0
Can't install with SPR...Going to try to push it from ADB when I get back from my eye exam...

If you get it to install I'd love to hear how... I've tried to push it, tried drop in plavce with root explorer and fix ownership and permissions, tried to install with Apkinstaller, and adb install ... all methods fail or the app isn't found after reboot...

Upvote 0
I have been playing with ADW for a few days and I am really starting to like it. No lag problems, I am getting used to the new ways of switching screens (now that I got it down pat it is much faster than the old swipe method) and so far have found no glitches. I originally tried install beta seven using Clockwork and the original file name and never was able to bring up the launcher. Duh! Upon trying with my eyes open, Clockwork found some kind of an error in the zip and aborted the install each time (might have been do to the long file name). I renamed the file to update.zip and all was well. It is nice to see useful innovations continuing to come out at this stage of the game.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add... after having SPRecovery fail to install this as upgrade.zip I bit the bullet since Koush has added restore Nandroid backups and installed Clockwork/Rom Manager for recovery and tried to install the update.zip... Also Failed, or at least homeswitcher can't find anything but the original Home and Helixlauncher though Clockwork did place Launcher.apk in /system/app (I had removed Launcher.apk before trying ADW install)...

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add... after having SPRecovery fail to install this as upgrade.zip I bit the bullet since Koush has added restore Nandroid backups and installed Clockwork/Rom Manager for recovery and tried to install the update.zip... Also Failed, or at least homeswitcher can't find anything but the original Home and Helixlauncher though Clockwork did place Launcher.apk in /system/app (I had removed Launcher.apk before trying ADW install)...

Did you click on the "Home" launcher when you had that as a choice? Might wanna check that out ;)

Upvote 0
has anyone noticed any lag on this when coming out of sleep? i have tried it on both CM and BBv1 and it seems fine unless i let it sleep for a while. when i wake the phone up it is very laggy. and i don't see a way to keep this launcher in memory.

The Spare Parts version included with NexBeast and CM does have the launcher in memory option. I haved turn off the LWP option in in ADW (not using live wallpapers) which seems to have improved speed and stability.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones