• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alhenderson

Nov 16, 2010
Northampton, UK
Morning All,

I always put my Moto X into aeroplane mode overnight when I put it on charge. Every morning there are notifications on the screen. I thought maybe they had come in just after I put it into aeroplane mode. However, last night I used the phone as an alarm and all night there were buzzes and beeps as notifications came in. The apps varied - Facebook, GMail, Flickr. This isn't supposed to happen in aeroplane mode, is it? Certainly never has in any other phone I've had.

Also, when I turn aeroplane mode off, WiFi is left turned off, despite it having been on the night before.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have googled it and found surprisingly little about it, which suggests that problem is not widespread. Assuming it's a problem, of course - am I mis-understanding what aeroplane mode is supposed to do?

Cheers,
Al.

This has been happening for a while, have rebooted any number of times, but will do so again tonight as a test. I see the plane icon in the status bar, and the WiFi and network icons all suggest they've been turned off, yet these notifications are getting through. If I click on the notification to get to the email, FB post or whatever, then it can't do it due to no network connection.

I think I must be going mad. Beginning to doubt myself!

Al.

Upvote 0
Just did a little test. Put phone into aeroplane mode, confirmed I had the plane icon on the notification bar, and then got the missus to send me an email. Hey presto, one gmail notification. When I swiped it, I could read the email. Tried to send a reply, but that didn't go until I turned aeroplane mode off again.

I then rebooted the phone and repeated the experiment, and interestingly I have not had any notifications yet, so maybe that was the issue. No, WiFi gets re-enabled when I turn AM off as well, so looks like its sorted. Wierd!

Thanks for humouring me.

Al.

Upvote 0
After thinking I'd cracked it, left the phone overnight on AM. Came down this morning to Facebook, Twitter and email notifications. Also, when I turned off AM, WiFi got turned on but then straight back off again.

So back to square one. Guess a factory reset is going to be next. This never used to happen. Last major change was when I sent the phone away to Motorola to have the screen replaced.

Couldn't say whether that's when this behaviour started or not..

Al

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones