• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AF Treasure Trove

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw one in as well: http://androidforums.com/literature/195386-what-you-currently-reading.html

The literature section was created after me and a former MOD (Roze) bugged phases to no end. :)

The thread I linked has over 18,000 views, and almost 1,100 views. Those of us that love to read have been discussing specific books and our passion for reading for going on two years now.

I have discovered books that I absolutely LOVE solely from recommendations from other members. Books I would have NEVER heard of otherwise.

There are a lot of us who check in EVERY time they start a new book/series and we are always looking for 'fresh meat!'

Come on over and join us.

Upvote 0
TF201 Root FAQ
http://androidforums.com/transforme...-transformer-prime-tf201-all-things-root.html
I mainly stick to areas where my devices are talked about(I lurk a lot), so I know they are better threads than this, but this thread is great for people who know about root, but don't know how to, but it does not hold your hand. The useful terms at the top is great because new rooters can get to know what all the most used terms are, and how it applies to them.

Reactions: kappacat
Upvote 0
I knew the topic of my favorite forum threads right off the bat - the HTC Merge; choosing the exact thread was a bit more difficult, though I finally choose the thread that I spent the most time in: the release date thread.
http://androidforums.com/htc-merge/217798-any-ideas-release-date.html

I absolutely loved this thread, constantly watching for any little tidbit of info on its ever imminent release. Sadly, I also came to hate this thread as the time went by... and by... and by, until it became fairly obvious that this phone would never release on Verizon. The Merge was to be my first Android phone, and I was so enamored with all the news on it... I was dead set that it would be mine eventually. But, instead, it became my "white buffalo" of phones. I came to settle for a Droid 2 and went on with my life, but I still remember the hours I wasted eagerly awaiting that release date.

Upvote 0
Long time reader, just joined realized It was a awesome time to I think my favorite thread would have to be http://androidforums.com/introductions/563459-samsung-galaxy-s-vibrant.html

The reason I love this thread is it was my first venture into the android world and my galaxy vibrant has been an awesome phone. I love the versatility of it, I have rooted it and come to love what I can do with it from running Gingerbread to running Ice cream sandwich and Im sure at some point it will run a version of Jelly Bean if it keeps on kicking along. So that is why the Galaxy thread would be my favorite:D.

Upvote 0
The Big List of Home Launchers

Yes it's my thread, and yes I think there are much better threads here, but it's my favorite. I've got probably upwards of 200 hours spent editing the first post, what with searching, Googling, checking older links, etc. I know most folks don't bounce around as much as I do, but I love app lists like this (mostly because the Play Store search sucks).

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I still remember that day in November 2008 when I made my way to the local T-mobile store and got my brand new G1. I was like a kid in a candy store. Sure all my colleagues were impressed by the Iphone and why not? It had a real polished UI and surely seemed to be the fad of the day but, there was something honest about the G1 with an open architecture that allowed third party development. And look at us now! The new Samsung S3 is an absolute marvel of technology. From G1 to S3 all in less than 4 years. This week's I/O development hints of sweeter things to come and leaves no doubt that we bet on the right technology. As I was browsing through Android forums today I came across a few G1 threads. Walk down the memory lane with me... http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/257-clear-photos-g1.html

Upvote 0
Guess I'll be shameless and throw my name into the hat!

http://androidforums.com/indulge-al...ery-smoothness-customizability-7-24-11-a.html

For me, AndroidForums is exemplified by the welcoming nature of the Galaxy Indulge forum's very existence. The other "big name" Android forums look upon prepaid devices and other smaller-name models with what can almost be considered contempt, relegating them to a big ol' "miscellaneous" pile at best. Not so here. The Indulge, among many other prepaid devices, was able to build a community of helpful users and developers, because it was given a chance to shine.

The device is an odd one, and many developers who wished to take a look at it turned away after seeing some of its, ahem, features. A select group, though, stuck around, and the users rallied behind them. I'm proud to say that I was one of them. Basix represented the first full-featured ROM - and to this date, the only ROM that remains accessible - available for the Indulge. I was lucky to have been introduced to this small-but-capable device by others including Shabbypenguin, and was able to bring the enhancements present on other devices (notably the Epic 4G, the Indulge's bigger, stronger cousin) around. Following Basix's release, I saw much generosity in kind words and other support from the Indulge community. They, like many in the AndroidForums family, are a great community.

I would not have been able to do what I did with the Indulge without having a unit. Being a college student, and a Sprint user (I have never been a customer of MetroPCS), I simply could not afford it - but AndroidForums user rjsweezy made it possible by offering me a heavily discounted, but brand new, unit to develop on - after loaning it to me indefinitely for the same purpose! His generosity was absolutely essential to the creation of Basix (and its later companion, the Electric Sheep kernel)! The development of a workable root solution was entirely reliant on the time of the Indulgers, as was the introduction of ClockworkMod. It would be fair, then, to say that Basix was as much created by the community as it was by me.

So thank you, AndroidForums, and the Indulge community! To summarize: the kindness, giving spirit, and drive for freedom and innovation of the AndroidForums community are what powered Basix. I'm confident it will continue to power many other custom packages, and bring joy to thousands - millions? - of Android users worldwide.

Upvote 0
This whole thread right here is best
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/572882-rom-port-4-1-jelly-bean-6-29-a.html

Why? Even though Google just unveiled Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, not even 2 days ago, it shows how much love developers/communiteers give to their respective device. This person released the port for the galaxy nexus, when he could've kept it for himself, but instead he decide to share. Not only that, but he gave a guide on how to do it so people aren't left to figure out what to do. So, kudos to the man.
The Galaxy Nexus is Google's flagship device ( for the time being), but they released Jelly Bean with Nexus support in mind. It just goes to show that when a device is loved by its creators, it won't be left in the dark. We have devs and communiteers alike who support the devices, making our experience with devices, in this case the Galaxy Nexus, that much greater.
The Galaxy Nexus is a great and beautiful device. Ice Cream Sandwich made it great, Jelly Bean makes it awesome. Jelly Bean shows how much time and effort Google put into making the Android experience even greater than before. Kudos Google, kudos. Enjoy Jelly Bean.

Upvote 0
i'd say the Introductions...

because, that is where we should normally say our first hello... and greet new members when they say their first hello... but I have to admit, I've not done my Hello yet but will do so by this week. :eek:

this is the one section/ forum that is relatively calm, peaceful and full of love... coz once we go into the other threads, opinions may differ, people get defensive... some go on the offence... and we start going for the throat.

but sadly, i think its one really neglected section...

update 1: I guess if I need to choose a thread, it might as well be mine: http://androidforums.com/introductions/573652-mydragoon-says-oi.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/private-chat-staff/

Because support has always been the most important factor when offering services. Being open to comments and criticism will eventually lead to (even) better services. I've seen numerous websites that don't offer any way of contacting the people behind it. I'm pretty sure in the end those will get what they ask for; being left alone.

I just signed up to this forum, and the above link makes me feel like having a warm welcome.

Now unless you guys are some grumpy old bastards, I guess you can take the "There are no posts in this forum" as a compliment!

Edit: I now see that that forum only contains private threads, which in addition to the above shows you are respecting your users. So for my entry in this contest, pick the latest thread in that forum as of the time I posted this, as I don't have the privileges to read it and that thread shows people are respecting you guys being open to your users.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones