• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Afraid my Droid is going to Self Destruct....

iPhoneMilk

Oct 29, 2009
So...to start off this story i will say that i've been on these forums since the droid came out and i've already read several other stories of people having "random" weird problems of things just turning on by themselves.. and turning off..

Well I never had any of these problems personally so when i read about them I kept saying to myself wow i sure hope that doesn't happen to me! knock on wood..

Well today.. it happened..

I woke up this morning and got ready for work, and as i headed out the door i grabbed my droid off the Dock, check an email or 2, then put it into sleep mode. (That's all i did was check an email)

As i'm driving into work i decided to stop and grab a smoothie on the way in, so I get there.. and as i'm standing in line i felt something REALLY hot in my pocket, i pulled out my droid and it was MELTING HOT...i turned it over and the CAMERA was turned on...

WTF?? So how long was it on for?? basically the camera randomly turned itself on, and out of my phone being Locked as well...

What's next? i'm afraid this thing is going to self destruct, Am i going to have to keep a close eye on this thing to make sure random Apps don't turn on??

i mean just the other day some other forum poster was commenting on how some App had installed itself on his phone even, and it was paid for, and he never boughtit! LOL

I am under the impression that they are evolving and becoming self aware, this is a plot from google to take control of the world.

but in all seriousness Im not sure what to tell you. is there any way you might of hit the camera button before putting it to sleep? I just tried this turned on the camera and put the device to sleep, the woke it up and unlocked it and the camera was still running.

Upvote 0
It looks like you purchased an Imperial Probe Droid.

Most probots are launched in one-way pods which transport the droids to their target locations. Once there, they gather information. If confronted with a hazard, the droids can protect themselves. If confronted after their main mission has been completed these droids can self-destruct.

StarWars.com | Imperial probe droid

My suggestion: get into your X-wing and escape to the Dagobah system ASAP. You don't have the Jedi training required to defeat Darth Sergey or Darth Larry just yet, let alone take on Emperor Schmidt.

Upvote 0
I just had an experience yesterday that I wanted to share. The symptoms were the same as described above - phone hot, screen on, battery dead. The cause may be similar too.

I'm 90% sure what caused it for me: the GPS app that I was running ("My Tracks") set a property that told the Droid not to let the screen go to sleep. This combined with the app's increased CPU usage, GPS usage, network usage, all at once, combined to give me a hot phone, dead battery, with the screen not automatically going asleep after 15 seconds as normal.

The blame should be shared equally between the app and the droid. First, the app should have allowed the screen to go blank IF its activity was backgrounded - in onPause(). Second, the Droid should have noticed that the activity was paused and so it doesn't need for the screen to be kept awake because its activity is no longer active.

So it seems if there is an app that sets the "don't let the screen go to sleep" property, that app must relinquish that setting when it gets paused, otherwise the droid won't be allowed to go to sleep automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones