• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After ICS, which bloatware can I disable/uninstall safely? [LIST]

Hey all, now that we have ICS, we should be able to disable much of the bloatware AT&T puts on the phone.

I was hoping that I could get help in compiling a list of bloatware that would be safe to uninstall/disable on the stock ICS.

Unfortunately, I already ran into a problem regarding AT&T's Ready2Go app. According to the App Info in settings, I can not disable or uninstall it. I'd want to disable other apps but you get that disclaimer about the App affecting other apps or whatever--I'm not too tech savvy and afraid to mess up my phone.

Please help me expand the list below for other users! I will update the list as other users reply with their suggestions.

LIST:

To Disable:

To Uninstall:

Unable to Uninstall or Disable:

• AT&T Ready2Go

It's not simply being on ICS that allows you to remove bloatware. You could always remove bloatware, by rooting, etc. This thread reminds me that I need to remove all that crap too. :)
There are some people like me that will probably never have the desire/need to root. It is nice that ICS allows the removal of much of the bloatware without rooting.:)

Upvote 0
There are some people like me that will probably never have the desire/need to root. It is nice that ICS allows the removal of much of the bloatware without rooting.:)

I agree... I probably have enough technical expertise to initially root my phone but if anything goes bad after the root or if I need to unroot, then I will probably run into issues. The reason for that is because it will probably have been a month or more before I might run into problems or need to unroot and by then, I will have forgotten how I exactly rooted the phone in the first place LOL.

Also, stock seems to be perfectly fine for me, but I'd just want to get rid of the bloat in the hopes of improving the experience with the device.

So... without rooting, has anyone been successful in disabling the Ready2Go app?

Upvote 0
I am running the Rooted Stock ICS (the official release with Root), uninstalled many of the bloatware AT&T apps and am running TW5 (5x6) and S3 widgets as well as SVoice. No need for a custom ROM for me and it's all stable and butter smooth.

I don't plan to do any Custom ROMs until JB ROM's start to drop and are stable (don't want to have to flash updates every other day).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones