1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support After Kit-Kat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WonderFull, Apr 2, 2014.

1. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    I got the Kit-Kat upgrade last week. Since than I've:
    - the phone got restarted by itself a number of times
    - sometimes the phone hangs and whatever I do no response for almost a minute or so
    - today I was chatting on Viber and suddenly the phone rebooted and I found Viber & Skype was uninstalled by itself
    - I downloaded Viber & Skype and installed it again. All my previous data (conversation) and setup (user id & password) was intact
    My question did anyone else faced similar problems.
    My device is i9500 Build number KOT49H.I9500XXUFNB4
    I cleaned the cache but did not do a factory reset yet after the upgrade.

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Apart from clearing the Cache Partition, there are other steps that you can take to help diagnose and rectify your problems, as outlined in the Update Problems - Dummies Guide.

WonderFull likes this.
  3. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    Today I found some more apps have been deleted. Don't know why?
    Going to do a factory reset.

4. sreum

sreum Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    michigan
    If your still having problems, take the phone too best buy that has a Samsung kias inside. Make sure they have the smart software at the Samsung kias. They'll be able to do a re-download of 4.4 kitkat onto your phone. It fixed many gliches glitches on my S4 when I tried doing the update on my own.

WonderFull likes this.
  5. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    I'm still facing the same problems. Suddenly yesterday randomly few of my apps got uninstalled. Also i'm facing some of the processes get stopped and at one point the phone got hanged and only way to restart was by getting the battery out.
    I once again did a factory reset. lets see if it will resolve the issue or not.

6. labarge

labarge Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2014
    Do people that buy the Note 3 straight from AT&T with KitKat already running still have all these buggy issues?

7. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    NW Arkansas, USA
    Probably not. A big part of the reason KK is causing all the problems that is is because it changed the way apps can access external memory. So it broke a lot of apps. With a phone that has it factory installed, there won't (or at least shouldn't be) be any apps on it that won't work. And most of the app builders are addressing the issue with new releases.

8. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    I think what jejb said makes sense otherwise there is no reason for the apps to stop working suddenly which worked perfectly before KK.

9. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Male
    Digital marketing intern
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Formatting is needed with KitKat, thats the 1st thing I did after updating, and I haven't had a single issue, my S4 is running beautifully and I'm getting up to 6hours Screen On time and 1.5days on a single charge.

I know it's not easy format especially if like me you have A LOT of data, especially within apps e.g. Reminders, Calendar entries, Notes, WhatsApps, BBM chats as well as a lot of apps and media, best thing to do is try find ways to back up that data.

10. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    Can you please elaborate what you mean by "formatting"? I did once factory reset but the problem happened. I did factory reset once again since the second reset none of my applications have been uninstalled but got error in Viber - which stopped working.

11. WonderFull

WonderFull Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2012
    Male
    Bahrain
    I think I found the cause of the issue I was facing. It is related with apps moved to SD card. I found out after the restart the apps were uninstalled. Actually the SD card was responding and as such the applications were not identifiable. I moved all the apps to the phone and than tried few times restart All worked well. Moved few apps to SD card and same happened again. Although it seems there was no issue with card but I formatted the SD card and will try to move application by application to see which one is causing problem or it is the SD is the problem and replace it.

12. jshaw42

jshaw42 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Commercial actor (retired)
    Wisconsin
    This morning my Galaxy S4 updated KitKat to build number KOT49H.R970TYUFND1. I'm hoping this will improve the battey usage. Anyone else get this? Anyone know what the update includes?

13. quest7

quest7 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Student
    oklahoma city, okla
    Can you still access your music and pictures after the update? I have not received the update yet.

14. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    IF the app isn't updated for KitKat, I believe it's a known issue. Kitkat changed how the apps can use the SD card storage.

15. cocokasper

cocokasper Well-Known Member
    None

May 13, 2012
    Automotive, computer, & electrical Tech
    Bay Area CA
    root your phone and use titanium backup to make a backup of your system apps and or user apps, as well as all the data and settings for each app.
    if you don't know what root means; and are not competent with computers, and can't follow directions. You'll prolly break your phone.

but since I rooted and removed all the stock apps, and did some kernel tweaks, I'm getting 2-3 days out of my battery depending on use.

If your phone is under warranty and you try to take it back for a warranty exchange or service (with root permissions and custom software) they will not honor the warranty. Return it to stock and unroot first.
    if you make your phone take a dump, my self nor android forums are responsible.

But we will help you get it working if you should have trouble.
    Search for your device/carrier "all things root" sub-forum for the step by step guides, info on root, and download links.
    DO NOT skip or miss a step when rooting or flashing your device.
    and always read the first page, and last 3 pages of a mod you are interested in using, flashing, or installing.