• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After kitkat update battery drain

SwampRat

Lurker
Apr 6, 2014
Hi,

I updated yesterday from jelly bean to kitkat on Samsung Galaxy S4 O2 Uk network. Everything worked fine, but my battery drains so quickly 1% every 2 mins. When it reaches 30% my phone completely switches off/shuts down, so I have to plug it into charger before I can switch back on!

I see, from reading some stuff that's about on the net that people are having problems with SG S4 and kitkat, and im pretty savvy when it comes to launchers and whats running in the back ground and what shouldn't be running. I just don't understand how it can drain the battery so quickly?

I even updated go launcher to latest version to see if that makes any difference, along with all other apps.

Anyone got any ideas if they're bringing out a kitkat update to fix this? or any ideas how I can stop it wiping out my battery completely at 30%?

Thanks for your time

I updated yesterday from jelly bean to kitkat on Samsung Galaxy S4 O2 Uk network. Everything worked fine, but my battery drains so quickly 1% every 2 mins. When it reaches 30% my phone completely switches off/shuts down, so I have to plug it into charger before I can switch back on!

This sort of behaviour is not unusual immediately after an update and is not a firmware problem. 2 things that you can do are...

1. Wipe Cache Partition as per #1.2 of Update Problems - Dummies Guide

2. Re-calibrate your battery memory by using Battery Calibration, once, and allow a few charging cycles.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for both your input, im not sure what to make of it then? is it a bug with this kitkat update or just something random that happens after any update, not sure I understand u both as you say different things?

I will definitely try that battery calibration app, seems like it would be an easy fix if it works. Altho your advice about going back to jelly bean, I don't really understand flashing roms, lol etc, I have looked up on net how to rollback to jelly bean from kitkat but nowhere says how to do it, apart from an Italian youtube vid that I don't understand.

I would much rather go back to jelly bean if I could but im guessing that would involve some kinda factory reset? and its a mission to make the phone back to how it was lol. But if its possible and you guys know a noobs instructions on how to restore back to jelly bean I would definitely be interested in that? I did my kitkat update through Samsung kies just fyi.

Ironass (lol cool name) thanks for the link but the first one wipe cache partition for dummies doesn't work for me, just sends me to blank page?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones