1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

After Moving apps to sdcard will they use more battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trapperjohn, Sep 24, 2011.

1. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    After apps are moved to sdcard will they use more battery?
    On the thunderbolt do we really need to move apps to sdcard or is that for older phones with less internal memory?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Advertisement

2. jivens716

jivens716 Well-Known Member

You answered your question with your last sentence :p there's no reason to transfer them to your sd card because we have plenty of room on our internal hard drive

3. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

The only apps I move to SD are large games, Peggle, PvZ, etc, but it's really not needed as jivens said

trapperjohn likes this.
  4. trapperjohn

Ok its not needed which in turn i put all apps back on internal memory. A thing I had to do on the original droid.....
    I will put the bigger games back if needed as worm mentions he does :)

But I am curious are there negatives to moving the apps to the sdcard?
    Does it use more power to run application off of the sdcard?
    Does it slow the phone down?

Thanks,
    Bryan

5. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

It doesn't do anything but free up internal space. You're over thinking this, sir :)

6. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast

It might slow loading times down a tiny bit if the sd card is slower than the internal flash drive. I move big games, too.

trapperjohn likes this.
  7. trapperjohn

Ok I will under think :)

Thanks,
    Bryan

8. trapperjohn

After reading that WormDoes and you only move games I will do that? Sounds like a good way to go for the future.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

9. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

I assumed that moving it to the SD card made the phone overall a little bit faster because it wasn't stored on the phone itself

10. trapperjohn

Actually after moving everything back to the phone I see apps opening faster responding better nothing drastic just noticeable :)
    53 apps on phone with 1.8 gigs still available :)

Thanks,
    Bryan

11. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

:eek: 69 user apps on phone (none on the SD) 1.94 GB available:D. I see no reason to put my apps on the SD, I suppose depending on the class of the SD it could have a negative effect on loading things from the SD but if you have the stock SD card I don't think you would notice much of a difference.

12. Picaso86

Picaso86 Member

I dont know if this question belongs here... when I pull down my Notification bar, under Quick settings tab scroll down to "Total Memory" it reads:

583 MB
    used: 462MB
    free: 121MB

How can I free more memory there? I am not running any apps.

13. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Don't worry about it, really. The way the OS is set up it should be fine running with 0MB free* :eek: Android is much better at memory management than windows, as the OS needs more memory for a specific tasks it will kill other tasks to make the memory available.

*While I said it should be fine Android will kill tasks before getting down to having 0MB free by design

trapperjohn and Picaso86 like this.
  14. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

I do put games on my SD, I don't really see a need to keep a 25-30mb game on the internal memory.

15. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I'm almost out of space on my SD so I consider that space a higher priority than space on my internal memory

16. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Jeez.. what the hell do you have stored on your SD? Lol..

17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

No music or video. Most of it is extracted apps and extracted zip files. About 10k png files, a few roms, a few nandroid backups. A couple game downloads that have to be on the SD.

18. trapperjohn

Wow!
    Are you thinking of getting a 64 gig assuming it will work in the Thunderbolt?
    Having that much even on the sdcard does it slow down access at all?
    Thanks,
    Bryan

19. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

No I don't want to spend that much on an SD that I haven't confirmed it will work. I know there are reports the 64 GB cards work on android but they shouldn't.

I haven't noticed any degradation of speed other than my gallery takes forever to load but I don't use it very much at all so it doesn't really matter

trapperjohn likes this.
  20. trapperjohn

Hi,
    Thanks for the info :)
    I noticed my gallery slow to load also but that is usually after I flashed later if I go back in it pops right up with pics I assume that it caches the list on first view do you get the delay every time after the first time?

Thanks,
    Bryan

21. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

You assume correct sir