• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root After Rooting, How Will I Get Updates?

I am thinking about rooting my Cliq, and I'm so nervous because I'm so new at this. I have a question, though, before I take the plunge. How do I get updates to my Cliq after I root it? Will the OTA updates still work, or is there any special process needed to get it to work?

You cannot update via the OTA's once you are rooted. **IF YOU UPDATED VIA AN OTA, YOU WILL LOSE ROOT ACCESS**. there are upsides and downsides to rooting. one of the downsides is that if you want to stay up to date, you are at the mercy of the developers.

PS if you are asking this because you are worried that once 2.1 is released for the Cliq, you wont be able to have it because youre rooted - take my word for it, that once 2.1 is released, the 2.1 ROMs will QUICKLY follow....you wont be in the dark for very long, we are talking 2 weeks MAX that you would have to wait (trust me, being rooted is more of an advantage than having 2.1 so dont give up your root access instead of waiting 2 more weeks, stay patient my friends!!)

Upvote 0
I am thinking about rooting my Cliq, and I'm so nervous because I'm so new at this. I have a question, though, before I take the plunge. How do I get updates to my Cliq after I root it? Will the OTA updates still work, or is there any special process needed to get it to work?

BTW dont be worried....i was the same way, i didnt know much and thought i was going to screw my phone up....but i did it and ive learned SO much about the modding world and its now second nature to me, and i dont regret it whatsoever, i have a new hobby!!. just do it, but also keep up with the modding world (this is not a good forum for Cliq-root, i suggest www.modmymobile.com, thats where i am and will never leave for Cliq modding. all of your questions and problems will be answered/solved very quickly, and everyone is very nice and helpful, not snotty)and also, IF you do screw your phone up, do not worry. Rooting has evolved quickly and almost every mistake is now reversible by simply flashing the stock rom via RSD Lite. I bricked my phone and couldnt even boot into recovery (i got a little careless)...i was unbricked and rerooted within 4 hours.

Upvote 0
So I take it the IT'S updates go for the incredible as well... that sucks. Idk how much I want to root my phone anymore now. Thats a huge deal for me.

I didnt realize you were talking about the Incredible. This is a Cliq forum. Im assuming it goes the same for but i could be wrong. There may already be a 2.1 ROM for the incredible. HTC phones are much more evolved in the rooting world. youre going to want to go to xda-developers this is a site for modding HTC phones, all of your questions will be answered there. besides, even though you are posting on a Cliq forum, www.androidforums.com (this site) is not a good site for modding information in general

Upvote 0
I didnt realize you were talking about the Incredible. This is a Cliq forum. Im assuming it goes the same for but i could be wrong. There may already be a 2.1 ROM for the incredible. HTC phones are much more evolved in the rooting world. youre going to want to go to xda-developers this is a site for modding HTC phones, all of your questions will be answered there. besides, even though you are posting on a Cliq forum, www.androidforums.com (this site) is not a good site for modding information in general

HTC Droid Incredible - xda-developers - HTC Increedible thread

Upvote 0
I've had my Cliq for a while and i wanted to root the thing for so long. but my question is, should i just wait till 2.1 comes out in a month or so? then root it? or just do it now and wait the extra 2 weeks for the developers. because i may not understand the rooting process. Do you root the current version you have IE. 1.5 / 2.1. or do you have to root to a available ROM. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I've had my Cliq for a while and i wanted to root the thing for so long. but my question is, should i just wait till 2.1 comes out in a month or so? then root it? or just do it now and wait the extra 2 weeks for the developers. because i may not understand the rooting process. Do you root the current version you have IE. 1.5 / 2.1. or do you have to root to a available ROM. Thank you.

Once you gain root acces, you must flash a custom ROM...Android, Blackberry, Motorola & Palm News | ModMyMobile is where you can find all of them (cant provide direct link because the site is blocked at my work). All of the full ROMs run Android 1.5. There was one ROM recently released that runs 2.1 but its shaky and a lot of major features/phone components do not work (phone vibrate and other things, i cant remember off the top of my head, all i know is it didnt sound worth it to me to even consider it). So go over to that forum, find the Cliq forum, and after about 5-10minutes of floating around im sure you will come across the major ROMS and differentiate them yourself and decide if youd like to do it.
Personally, id rather be rooted than run Android2.1....but thats personal preferance. Keep in mind, unrooting is easier than ever now, so my advice would learn up about rooting, do it, and when 2.1 comes out, if you havnt fallen in love with your rooted phone, just unroot and flash the stock 2.1 firmware.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast reponse. I didnt know rooting your phone was that great. I need to do some research and see what kind of priveledges it gives you. but im sure it'll be worth it. i love modding. i just havent done it to a phone yet.

haha im bored at work and i actually had to send my cliq in for repair, so forums are the only way i can connect to the world at work! well what questions exactly do you have about rooting?
the main features are: faster performance, overclocking, wi-fi tethering, themeing, ability to delete/compress stock applications, apps2sd (unfortunately not yet available for the Cliq, but is being heavily worked on)

Upvote 0
oh ok well thats most of my questions. I've noticed my Cliq getting progressively slower. To the point where I want to throw it lol. but I'd be really interested in overclockin the thing and deleting the stock applications.

Hows is the overclocking? pretty stable? im guessing its a drain on battery...more than the phone already is lol.

Upvote 0
oh ok well thats most of my questions. I've noticed my Cliq getting progressively slower. To the point where I want to throw it lol. but I'd be really interested in overclockin the thing and deleting the stock applications.

Hows is the overclocking? pretty stable? im guessing its a drain on battery...more than the phone already is lol.

Well i noticed the difference in speed right when i rooted. i ran my ROM for a week before i started over/underclocking and noticed an upgrade in performance. In terms of speeding the phone up you wont see an INSANE difference. I know that there is that never-ending battle to make your Cliq as fast as the iPhone or NexusOne, but its just not possible.
However, before rooting, my Cliq was plagued with slow performance, as is yours, and since rooting ive scene a notable difference in overall phone speed in all areas.
Yes overclocking can drain the battery, HOWEVER youcan also underclock (slow down the processor to save battery). The app called SetCPU allows for profiles. For example, i my phone set to run at max speed by default, but then i have sub profiles, like i have it set to run at minimal speed when the phone is idle (screen is off), and i have it set to slow down to lower speeds when battery<40%, <25%, <15% obviously it personal preference, but the profiles allow for anyone to set their processor to their liking.....theres is also an automatic "failsafe" profile where the processor automatically slows down if the battery reaches a certain temperature, to avoid damage

Upvote 0
wow, i think SetCPU just sold me on the root. I love the whole profile things. I have Locale app also, and i got a bunch of profiles for that as well. so i know how useful the automation is. But thanks for all the info. Time to go read some root tutorials. :)

Yes, Locale is a great app, but be warned: it may not work for you with root. I tried it and it only works for like the first day and then stops working completely, not even Time-based conditions work. Im not sure if it has to do with root altogether, or just the particular Rom that i run, or if its just my phone, but thats just a little warning that it MAY not work for you ("Setting Profiles" is a good alternative, just no plug-ins :( ). Also, if you choose to run one of the Handler Exploit ROMs (i run HandlerExploit 1.5), the 3D does not work for them, so 3D games will not work. Other than that there are no issues.
Again, I suggest you go ahead and do it. The risk factor is minimal these days, virtually every possible mistake that may seem fatal at first, is reversible . Like i said, i bricked my phone my making a careless mistake. i thought all was lost and my phone was done, but before panicking i hopped on a forum and fixed it right away. And also, like i said before. Go ahead and root, see how you like it, experiment with different ROMs, and if you dont like it, just flash the stock firmware and youre back to normal.
Keep in mind when you root, it WILL wipe your phone. Also, if youre rooted and you decide to go back to stock firmware, that will also wipe. Rooting voids your warranty, but if you do have to send your phone in for repair, just flash stock firmware and you will be fine. So in conclusion, i suggest you root, try it out, and if you dont like it/need a repair/or want 2.1 immediately when it comes out, just reflash stock firmware :).

again, all infor youll need is at www.modmymobile.com
good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones