1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root after the ota update will my phone be clean?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xfighter1188, Sep 16, 2011.

1. xfighter1188

xfighter1188 Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    clean as in i could send it back to motorolla and they wouldnt know the difference?
    i was just wondering cause i dont want my warranty to be void. i have rooted it but after the ota update i should be fine right?

Advertisement

2. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    the OTA will definitely UNROOT the phone. It does leave your apps, and settings in place. So you'll want to remove SU. Other than that, technically you should be fine. I've returned a few phones back after rooting and then applying flash back files. They shouldn't really tell the difference unless there is an obvious flag.

3. xfighter1188

xfighter1188 Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    so what i was going to do is unfreeze everything that i have frozen, then unroot it.
    will me unrooting it delete super user and the other apks installed? or will i have to do that manually?

4. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    once you unroot, I believe you have to manually uninstall the apps, but honestly, I haven't done it, so I dont know. Try it, The apps dont give you root technically. But, if the dev was smart enough he would have written the scripts to remove all root related files. Try it, probably wont hurt. report back your findings for the rest of us. :)

5. xfighter1188

xfighter1188 Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    so I used the one click root and before I did that I just removed titanium backup, root explorer, bootstrap and any other root dependent apps. then I unrooted it and it deleted superuser for me and the other 2 apks. it was fine after that, but to make sure I did a factory restore. the first time it didn't reset my phone completely, but on the 3rd time it asked me for the backup assistant pin and stuff. also when I did a factory restore I didn't delete the stuff on the sd card be cause I wanted to restore some setting from it, but it ended screwing up my sd card, not allowing me to read it or format it on my computer. however I rebooted my droid and the put the card back in, and it asked me to format the card. and that worked