• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After update, predictive text/spelling doesn't remember stored words

Beadmaster

Aug 6, 2020
Hi, I have a huge problem after the latest Android update. The new predictive text/spelling suggestions have turned my smartphone basically, um, stupid.

Pre-update, I had the phone well trained to the way I write. There were some things that didn't seem to delete when I repeatedly told the phone to delete them, but I had a lot of abbreviations and purposeful misspellings (plus timely proper names) I often use in various specialized groups and with certain people (not to mention four letter words I sometimes use). Those are now gone. And no matter how hard I work at retraining it, the phone doesn't learn. (On the subject of four letter words it's gone from drunken sailor level to prim and proper schoolmarm. Every time.) Once in a great while it will suggest a word I've used repeatedly within a particular conversation, but most of the time it offers stupidly nonsensical matches. Which can sometimes be hilarious, but very annoying. It slows down my posting and texting to have to Spell. Out. Every. Word. Isn't that the point of spelling suggestions and predictive text, to help one write instead of needing to fight with it every time?

Sadly, it's even forgotten my cat's name, and she's a constant topic of conversation. Now, not only do I have to spell out her name, it no longer understands it should automatically capitalize it. One or two lowercase letters were previously all I needed for her name to appear - properly capitalized - as a suggestion.

Why did this update change everything? And more importantly, are my previous predictive text words/spellings still stored on my phone? If so, is there a way to restore them? If not, how do I (can't believe I'm asking this) make the phone understand it's being trained and properly respond by being attuned to the way I write instead of remaining so uselessly, horrifically stupid?

I've searched in vain for any conversation about this particular issue, but the only matches I found thus far involved foreign dictionaries. I have no other languages installed on my phone.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for so much great info!

I tried, but haven't found a good replacement keyboard yet. Nothing has the flexibility of the Samsung keyboard. OpenBoard looked promising, but it has no emojis, which I use frequently. I seem to be stuck with this awful Samsung keyboard for now. Blech, so much useless crap in the Play Store!

Upvote 0
What flexibility does the Samsung keyboard offer that others don't? The only Samsung keyboard I've used is on my old tablet, which apart from having the option to switch to handwriting input (it's one of the old Note tablets) is awkward to use for symbols and so effectively useless to me, and didn't offer anything to compensate for that. But most keyboards have emoji options, certainly the big ones (GBoard, SwiftKey), though I'll confess to being old-school and preferring not to have emojis or gifs (for me it's an interruption of the flow and a waste of time when the keyboard misinterprets your typing as selecting one of those modes).

Upvote 0
Sorry, I wrote this answer a couple of days ago, thought I'd posted it, but hadn't!

I like the access to emojis on the Samsung keyboard; funny thing, when I type on a computer (like now), I'm perfectly comfortable with typing old-fashioned keyboard smileys that are interpreted as emojis in Facebook or Messenger. On the phone with the Samsung keyboard it's a couple of taps in the keyboard upper left-hand corner for an emoji, so it never gets in the way.

I wasn't happy with the reviews of GBoard & Swiftkey; OpenBoard being open source appealed to me, but even though the app page has pictures with emojis, it's just a plain old keyboard on my phone. I'll keep watching to see if something better turns up. If the emojis worked on OpenBoard, I'd use that!

Plus - update to the problem since writing the above - I discovered a solution.

Go into Settings/General Management/Language and Input.
Choose the on-screen keyboard. Then choose Samsung keyboard and Smart Typing.
Turn off Predictive Text.
Reboot the phone.
Go back into the settings as above and turn predictive text back on.

I had rebooted the phone since the update, but never with predictive text turned off.

Same thing also worked for a dear friend.

And now my phone can curse like a drunken sailor again. :D

Reactions: Dannydet and MU21
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones