• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AFV File Verifier for Android

An ice-storm and Ground Hog's day present for everyone: v1.3! ;)

Nothing major--just some more things on the to-do list that I finally figured-out how to do.

version 1.3 - 2-Feb-2011:

- now supports SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 digest/checksum algorithms (along with the MD5 and SHA1 algorithms, these appear to be all functions that the MessageDigest API supports)

- will now also display checksum results in a pop-up to ensure viewing checksum results on all phones

- keep screen on while progress-bar is displayed in long-running calculations (suggested long-ago by eu1!)

- directory name is now remembered from last file selection (about time, lol)

- added help menu function for file selection screen

Thanks and hope these changes are useful.

Cheers!

Reactions: Podivin
Upvote 0
And here's a link on the new web-based Android market:

https://market.android.com/details?id=sa.afvx

doogald,

This is pretty cool! (How did I miss the new web-based Market update? lol, been in the middle of the ice-storm as I'm sure a lot of folks have been too... I've been hunkered-down working from home and making tweaks to this app whilst the world froze-up all around us. Hope all are safe too).

Thanks again for the reply and the heads-up!

Cheers!

edit: the new web-market is just a smidge behind though...I'm sure it'll take a few hours before the new version information shows-up there (its already in the Market on your phone though); I've noticed that the download and install stats are only usually updated every 24 to 36 hours or so (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Upvote 0
Scary, I hadn't looked at this for a while - very attractive UI!
And like you, I apparently missed the memo on the new (?) online market. Thanks to Doogald for pointing that out.

Thank you!

Yeah, I was pretty busy yesterday with everything going on that I didn't get a chance to scour the various Android sites for news like I usually do. Looks like they've got my 1.3 version showing now...looks like Google is finally starting to make some much-needed changes with hopefully more goodies to come.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Yes, yesterday was a big Android day, with the official announcement and demo of Honeycomb for Android tablets. The new web-based market for Android was part of that.

I've always liked appbrain, but this will be good, too.

I tried using it in install-from-web mode, but got tired of waiting for it to happen, and eventually fired up the market app. Do you know- is it supposed to operate in a "push" fashion, or does it just wait for the phone to eventually do a check-in? (My result might have differed because I had a prior version already on the phone, dunno)

eu1

Upvote 0
I tried using it in install-from-web mode, but got tired of waiting for it to happen, and eventually fired up the market app. Do you know- is it supposed to operate in a "push" fashion, or does it just wait for the phone to eventually do a check-in? (My result might have differed because I had a prior version already on the phone, dunno)

I did a push install myself last evening (of an app I care little about, and will likely uninstall after it arrives) and I am still waiting. I may go into the Market on the phone manually and see if it arrives then. Or perhaps they are not ready for push installs?

I also wonder if they have a new version of the market that you need on the phone for this to work?

Ok, I just went into the market and it started updating apps that were set to auto-update (CPUBoost Lite and Google Maps), but, interestingly, the Market remained at a white screen for a long time before it finally started appearing. But, still no update of that app I tried to push last night.

I may try again and see what happens.

Upvote 0
All,

I just uploaded my newest version of AFV to the Android Market.

Been working on this one for a while (sorry it took so long ;)).

Thanks again to eu1 for suggesting the "launch / send" from other apps idea :).

Hope you enjoy it!

Here's the change log:

version 1.4 - 7-Apr-2011:

- display elapsed time for long-running operations

- allow app to be invoked from other applications (tested with Astro File Manager, Estrongs File Explorer, OI File Manager); use the "Send" function

- added donate button (donate version of app will be published soon)

- added 'md5sum -c Type Check' function for .md5 files (equivalent to 'Verify Nandroid Backup') to make it clear that functionality exists for non-Nandroid .md5 files too

Upvote 0
AFV (Android File Verifier) v1.6 just published to the Market.

Change logs for v1.6 and v1.5:

[version 1.6 - 02-May-2011]:

- thanks to all who have donated or purchased the donate version (very much appreciated!)

- fix FC issue when null/empty URI is received via Send function (please contact me if you experience an FC or other issue)

- several other minor fixes

- dynamically identify external storage directory instead of hardcoding /sdcard

- make pop-up dialogs cancelable via back button

[version 1.5 - 11-Apr-2011]:

- fixed FC issue when last remembered directory is no longer present (renamed / deleted) and app is re-launched (thanks to Michael C. for bringing this to my attention)

Upvote 0
Change log (hope these changes are useful):

[version 1.7 - 12-May-2011]:

- display file size after file name in file selector (with menu option to disable)

- add 'Return to Main' menu option in file selector (so you don't have to hit back key)

- tighten-up Nandroid-verification function so that non-'nandroid.md5' files do not cause FCs [ note/reminder: the 'Nandroid Verify' function is done against the nandroid.md5 file in your Nandroid backup's directory

- revise/enhance results pop-up display for the Nandroid Verify function

Upvote 0
Change log (hope these changes are useful):

[COLOR="Blue"][version 1.7 - 12-May-2011]:

- display file size after file name in file selector (with menu option to disable)

- add 'Return to Main' menu option in file selector (so you don't have to hit back key)

- tighten-up Nandroid-verification function so that non-'nandroid.md5' files do not cause FCs [ note/reminder: the 'Nandroid Verify' function is done against the nandroid.md5 file in your Nandroid backup's directory

- revise/enhance results pop-up display for the Nandroid Verify function[/COLOR]

You've been too busy to be a scary alien lately ;) lol

Upvote 0
You've been too busy to be a scary alien lately ;) lol

:D :) Yeah, since I didn't get to go to Google I/O, I stayed home and watched all of the session on-line. Lots of new stuff to learn (Honeycomb, etc.)--heck, I wasn't even done learning the old stuff! :eek: :p

Thanks...got some ideas for future improvements to AFV too that are in the hopper:

1. Proper orientation handling (right now the screens are locked to portrait since it takes logic to get notified and handle an orientation change (and re-populate the screen items))

2. Tablet support (just got a Xoom yesterday (since I couldn't go to SF for Google I/O, I figured I'd "invest" in a new development platform :D -- that's the "official" story in case my wife asks ;))).

3. Generate an .md5 file from selected files; this is in preparation for a future thing I've got planned to allow you to build a catalog/database of files you've already scanned, allowing for file comparisons, etc.

4. Tasker support

And more! :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
just wanted to let ya know scary i use your app all the time :cool: i have it on all my phones,and whenever im about to flash an hboot file i always double check the md5 on phone(im not satisfied that it matched on the PC before i transfered it ;)) before powering off to get into hboot :)

I'm not tech savy like you boy's but I got AFV on all mine too Scary.;):D

Upvote 0
just wanted to let ya know scary i use your app all the time :cool: i have it on all my phones,and whenever im about to flash an hboot file i always double check the md5 on phone(im not satisfied that it matched on the PC before i transfered it ;)) before powering off to get into hboot :)

Thanks! I know for most folks, its not a daily app, but I'm glad its helpful to you when you need it.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have been using AFV for a short time and it works well, but I am not sure that I am using it correctly. When I use t to get the checksum from a file that I have downloaded, I cannot figure out how to easily check this with the number that is reported it should be. I usually go to the download site on my computer and match the number from the computer screen to my phone.

Is this how everyone does it? Is there an easier way to do this checking?

Thanks
Steve

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hello,

I have been using AFV for a short time and it works well, but I am not sure that I am using it correctly. When I use t to get the checksum from a file that I have downloaded, I cannot figure out how to easily check this with the number that is reported it should be. I usually go to the download site on my computer and match the number from the computer screen to my phone.

Is this how everyone does it? Is there an easier way to do this checking?

Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve! :)

Sounds like you're doing it right ;) -- just visually compare the checksum value that you see calculated vs. the value that's published. I know that's not perfect, given the number of digits / character to compare.

If you are surfing a website on your phone and can copy the checksum of the file from the web page into your phone's clipboard, you can use the menu -> Preferences / Settings -> Input Checksum function (as well as having the Display Comparison Info checkbox enabled) to store a checksum. Then, the next checksum that you compute using the app will automatically be compared to the one you just pasted and the results displayed for you.

Additionally, if the file that you are checking is a signed, .zip file like a signed ROM or app's .apk file, etc., you can do a Verify Jar-type File function on it and the app will check the integrity of the file without you even needing to know the file's checksum (because the checksum / digests are stored within a signed file (in the META-INF directory structure).

Let me know if you have other questions!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Additionally, if the file that you are checking is a signed, .zip file like a signed ROM or app's .apk file, etc., you can do a Verify Jar-type File function on it and the app will check the integrity of the file without you even needing to know the file's checksum (because the checksum / digests are stored within a signed file (in the META-INF directory structure).

Let me know if you have other questions!

Cheers!

That totally rocks! I just tried it on a zip file that I downloaded (yes a custom ROM) and it said 0 files failed verification.

Thanks for the help for a noob!

Steve

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones