1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Age gap in dating?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A.Nonymous, Mar 11, 2013.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

So my friend and I were discussing this the other day as we have a third friend we want to smack around right now. He is in his early 30s and pining for a chick who is 19. Granted she has a solid head on her shoulders and is more mature than most 19 yr olds (how is it that chicks get their crap together so much earlier than guys do anyway?), but it's still a big enough gap that it's weird. So we're trying to talk some sense into him and get him to snap out of it and look for someone his own age. Not sure if he'll listen to us though.

What are your opinions on age gaps in dating? At what point is the gap too much?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

Hang on while I calculate the difference between me and my missus .. :)

I think what's approprate kinda depends on your age: a 10 year gap when the older person is 20 is clearly wrong. When they're 30, not so much. When they're 70, really, who cares?

Re your mate: I'm with you. He needs to snap out of it. She's 19, FFS: anything more than a month is a long term relationship to her. Come back in 10 years, then she might be ready.

Re women getting their crap together earlier than guys: I think that's because most guys never manage at all. Besides, maturity's just old age: what's so great about it anyway? ;)

dan330 likes this.
  3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

It'll work for a short time then he'll realize the younger they are the more they argue.

4. A.Nonymous

Personally, I have a theory that all guys are knuckleheads until at least their mid-20s. At least that long. Some longer than others, but I don't see very many who are not knuckleheads into their mid-20s.

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I was one of those non knuckleheads in the 20's.

6. SiempreTuna

You were alive in the 1920s?!

:)

I was definitely a knucklehead in my 20s. And I can't claim to have changed much since.

dan330 likes this.
  7. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Android Expert

There is a 17 year difference between myself and my long-term boyfriend. I am 35. I think at my age, after being through the ringer a few times, I know myself well enough to know that he and I are compatible, despite age.
    As for your friend, 11 years isn't so much, with the understanding that she is mature enough.
    If he is in it for the long haul, leave him be. it might just be the best thing that ever happened to him. if it's not, he'll learn soon enough. sometimes we just have to learn these things on our own. :)

davoid likes this.
  8. A.Nonymous

Is he older or younger though? To me that makes a huge difference. If he's older then he's in his 50s and you're 35. If he's younger and he's 17, then I have to question your judgement. :) With my friend, the actual age difference is something like 13-14 years I think. Not sure exactly. I hate to see him get hurt. He has a habit of picking unavailable women.

9. shelliewnj

He's 52.
    I hope your friend doesn't get hurt either. You are a good friend to care so much :)

10. SiempreTuna

I think the traditional "rule" is half-your-age-plus-seven .. which means Shellie is just about spot on, while I ought to trade for a newer model :)

Your mate is well out though. Coincidentally, a quick calculation shows that my earlier suggestion of waiting a decade is pretty much spot on.

11. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I *wasn't* a knucklehead in my 20's, but I grew into it ... just ask the Mrs. ;)

Seriously, I went through some stuff in my youth that forced me to grow up rather quickly. It's not to say i didn't have any fun, but I took relationships very seriously, which is probably why we'll be celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary this year and the honeymoon isn't over. :D

As to the OP ... statistically a 19 year old girl with a 30+ guy isn't going to work out in the long run, especially if the guy is more serious than she is. But, who knows. My wife's parents married when her mother was 19 and her father was 32 and they were together for 50 years.

That's a different issue. We should probably meet every other Thursday to discuss it $ 175/hr. ;)

shalemail likes this.
  12. SiempreTuna

Actually, his problem is he needs to be more ambitious! Forget the 19 year old: what about Angelina Jolie? SHE is unavailble :)

13. lunatic59

Eeeeewwww. ;)

14. A.Nonymous

Not sure he could handle the drama. Now Natalie Portman? That's a different story. I'll suggest he stalk her instead. She is his age. Problem solved.

15. lunatic59

If he's really keen on the age difference thing, you could always suggest Angela Lansbury or Judi Dench. ;)

16. SiempreTuna

All true and she's very cute. Thing is: she's not living with Brad Pitt, consequently, I don't think she comes close on the unavailability scale.

17. A.Nonymous

I read - He has a chance with Natalie Portman.

18. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Really not a fan myself either. ;)
    And age has nothing to do with it. :)

19. A.Nonymous

Honestly, I find Angelina to be hot, but more than a little bit skanky. That is my only real objection. Natalie (we are on a first name basis now) seems to have more class.

20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Natalie Portman, class? :p
    Hidden for quite a bit of hilarious (censored) cursing.

21. A.Nonymous

Not a good friend. Just not fond of cleaning up the mess again. :(

Women jack with your head. Sometimes I think they don't even mean to.

22. unnamedny

unnamedny Android Expert

It works for some, not for all. I see some would say its wrong, but if your friend has good sense of life she might consider herself lucky. Many girls find right guys due to long trial and error runs.

23. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

She maybe mature...
    But too young to have experienced enough of love and life to make long term commitment yet.

So it is okay... Will be a learning experience for her.

If lucky.. Really lucky.. You guys could date long enough for her to be ready to settle down.. And you both still want each other. It is a long shot

24. shelliewnj

HEY! :p

25. siggy1964

siggy1964 Well-Known Member

For me they have to be at least 21. That's the legal drinking age here lol.