• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ah crap, weird stuff with 2.0.1

Ok, I had read some people said that after the 2.0.1 update their home screen would now rotate when they rotated the phone. Mine doesn't do that ! So I wonder is it supposed to or not.

Also, Over the last week or so I've noticed random reboots, and I got the update last night, well about 10 minutes ago my phone randomly rebooted itself twice...so much for more stable....

-niko

Ok, I had read some people said that after the 2.0.1 update their home screen would now rotate when they rotated the phone. Mine doesn't do that ! So I wonder is it supposed to or not.

Also, Over the last week or so I've noticed random reboots, and I got the update last night, well about 10 minutes ago my phone randomly rebooted itself twice...so much for more stable....

-niko

The standard home screen still does not rotate, but who still uses the standard home screen when you can get Home++ or open Home for free. :p

My phone used to spontaneously reboot until I removed the Advanced task Killer. Haven't had a unwanted reboot since. You might want to see if you have a misbehaving 3rd party app. If not, get your phone replaced.

Upvote 0
I don't think your reboots have ANYTHING to do with the update. My first DROID (that I owned for a whole 24 hours) randomly rebooted quite frequently. I took it back for an exchange and my current DROID hasn't rebooted once. Perhaps your DROID just took a little longer to fail. I would take it back IMMEDIATELY and demand another phone. The fact that yours is rebooted now after the first update release actually works in your favor. ;)

Good luck.

Upvote 0
As for home screen landscape, that should only occur when the keyboard is opened. Unless I'm wrong, that was not a part of the update (mine stays in portrait mode). Quite frankly, I prefer my home screen not to rotate unless the keyboard is active.

After applying the update this morning, I can now browse the web in landscape mode WITHOUT sliding out the keyboard. However, my home screen only rotates to landscape mode when the keyboard slid out. Cool and cool!

Upvote 0
After applying the update this morning, I can now browse the web in landscape mode WITHOUT sliding out the keyboard. However, my home screen only rotates to landscape mode when the keyboard slid out. Cool and cool!

You couldn't browse the web in landscape before without the physical out? I know mine worked. On the homescreen, no, it wouldn't rotate without the keyboard out, but in apps such as the browser, it always rotated just based on the accelerometer, not based on whether the keyboard was out. That's very odd.

Upvote 0
You couldn't browse the web in landscape before without the physical out? I know mine worked. On the homescreen, no, it wouldn't rotate without the keyboard out, but in apps such as the browser, it always rotated just based on the accelerometer, not based on whether the keyboard was out. That's very odd.

Same here. Landscape browsing without keyboard was functional pre-update IIRC.

Upvote 0
No, no, no...lol

Landscape mode works fine with the browser, I just mean some people seemed to be saying that it also now worked "automatically" on the home screen (without sliding out keyboard). I'm just saying mine doesn't do that (which is normal IMO), but I didn't know if that was supposed to be part of 2.0.1 or something. lol

-niko

Upvote 0

My home screen has always rotated to landscape before and after the update AND, it does it when the keyboard is closed. Maybe it's one of the apps I have installed that allowed it.

Upvote 0
Since I upgraded to 2.0.1, I can't use the search key. So far, I can't find an app that will allow the search to function. I tried everything I could think of, but nothing worked. I finally called Verizon and we mutually decided to go to settings > privacy > factory data reset.

This solved the problem. I lost some settings and such, but I was happily surprised when I discovered all my applications were still on the phone. Since all my contacts were on google, they all came right back. The factory data reset wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and it solved the problem. This phone seems very stable now, I'm not sure what was going on with the search key, but --whatever-- it is fixed now.

This phone is awesome. Remember to go to http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list log in with your google account, and click the star to the left of issue 3902 to get the much needed cisco vpn support for droid.

Upvote 0
The standard home screen still does not rotate, but who still uses the standard home screen when you can get Home++ or open Home for free. :p

Does your home screen rotate when keyboard is closed with Home++? Mine does not..
Thanks.

Yes it does rotate with the keyboard closed. Be sure to enable this in Menu > Preferences > Screen Preferences > Orientation

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones