• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ah ha...can this be cause of droid reboot issues?

Jeffruby

Android Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2009
I have posted here a bunch on issues w/ my incredible doing the weekly or bi weekly reboot.

it has now become a daily or 4x a week reboot that gets looped at white htc screen...and can only be broken with letting phone cool down.

so seems like both lost signal AND overheat causes it.

now my q is...i have the seidio 1750 battery ...running since launch....no issues....

is this what is causing my dinc to run too hot? or is something just fried in my phone and i need new one.

let phone cool and now put in stock 1500 battery...no issues in last 12 hrs...

ill keep u posted

opinions welccom

I have posted here a bunch on issues w/ my incredible doing the weekly or bi weekly reboot.

it has now become a daily or 4x a week reboot that gets looped at white htc screen...and can only be broken with letting phone cool down.

now my q is...i have the seidio 1750 battery ...running since launch....no issues....

is this what is causing my dinc to run too hot? or is something just fried in my phone and i need new one.

ill keep u posted

opinions welccom

It's obviously very hard for any of us to state if that is the cause of your issues for sure, but overheating does seem like it could be a likely candidate. I can say I have the same battery without this issue though.

Upvote 0

ill keep u posted

opinions welccom
how hot is it getting?

Upvote 0
Yes, this makes absolute sense, and I agree with the OP, becuase the only times when my phone would reboot is if im out playing golf, in the hot sun, using the SkyDroid gps app. That is the only time it has done it, and it's done it about 3 times on 3 different days of playing. After it's done it's thing and rebooted though, I have no more problems for the rest of the day, and no, I didn't have a way to let it cool down. So I don't know why it wouldn't continuously reboot if its at the same temperature.

Upvote 0
Battery should not be an issue for reboots. If the battery power is able to bypass the capacitor and resistor circuit bridge to cause a volt spike, you would have a lot more problems than reboots- likely a fried Inc.

A voltage drop could also trigger a reboot though- no different than resetting the phone- depending how the Inc is set up. That would also be strange for the battery, since a voltage drop would trigger the same way a depleted battery would- low power warnings and then shut-off.

added:
I have the 1750 and 3500 and both have been very good. Pricey, but good.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have an htc evo running fresh 3.2 and have been having the same problem. It started last Saturday I used skydroid to play a round of golf and it rebooted about every 4th hole. Now every once and a while when I go into maps or skydroid it reboots immediately. If I leave either open for a while it eventually reboots. I'm wondering if it is the new version of maps that is the problem. Does anyone know how to get the old version to test?

I have had it happen in high and low temperature situations, but it is more likely to happen the longer the phone has been turned on (that is the only thing I have noticed).

Upvote 0
Sounds like a problem with your phone's GPS components. Probably has nothing to do with any apps, except that those apps use GPS, so the longer you run the app, the more likely you are to have the problem.

Reset your phone and try to exchange it for a new model, see if you can demonstrate the reboot issue using Google Maps. Don't mention any apps to phone store since they will try to blame the app (although after a reset , they can't even make that argument too well.)

Upvote 0
Could very well be defective hardware such as the phone's radio. My previous Incredible began suffering the reboot issue a couple weeks ago. At first, it was only with the 2.15 baseband. As the hardware degraded, the problem began exhibiting no matter the software on the phone or the battery installed. I could trigger a boot loop rather predictably by ding something that required a bit of power from the phone (batch restores in Titanium Backup were where I first saw the issue occur).

Upvote 0
I have had the same issue with it rebooting constantly when the phone seems to get hot while using a GPS related App. Anytime I use Google Maps or Navigation, I am able to use it for 5-10 mins and then it starts to reboot, which then I have to take the battery out, let it cool, and then it works again. I also recently had turned on Location services for the browser so that Google would know my location when doing Google Searches, (which probably is also gps related) so that after 10 mins of google searching the phone reboots as well.

Using other apps, or being in the market place for extended periods of time do not seem to have any effect on the phone, even though it seems to get pretty warm.

Upvote 0
On my previous (refurb) I would be likely to crash when battery temp got above 30C. We had a hot weekend and the phone crashed in a loop and couldn't recover. A factory reset brought it out, but I returned that phone.

The new phone hasn't exhibited any heat related crashes. Temps have hit mid 30s C.

Try using Android Battery Dog to record your temps. It isn't the prettiest program but it keeps a running log on the SD card. Within a day or two you should be able to see if your crashes are correlated with temp.

Upvote 0
I used to have the stock battery and my phone didn't reboot. Not once. I got the extended battery for free from Verizon a month ago and now my phone reboots once every couple of days in the middle of the day for no apparent reason. I just hear the phone say DROID! and know it rebooted. Very annoying. Now it reboots anytime I use the camera. WTF?

Upvote 0
I used to have the stock battery and my phone didn't reboot. Not once. I got the extended battery for free from Verizon a month ago and now my phone reboots once every couple of days in the middle of the day for no apparent reason. I just hear the phone say DROID! and know it rebooted. Very annoying. Now it reboots anytime I use the camera. WTF?
Looks like you're thinking that correlation implies causation. Your problem would most likely be caused by a failing radio or cpu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones