• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ahh, a question about SD cards.

So I've been mostly a lurker, because I just got my Ascend on the 11th! My damned contract finally ended! I've fallen in love with this smart phone. It's my first ever. Anywho! I was curious I have been reading about this Icarus mod that is on myascend.org and really would like to try it, but I only have a 2 GB sd card that came with the phone. I want to go out and pick up a 16 GB card so that if I do the icarus mod I only have to do it once! Then I'll have tons of space for whatever I want, hehe.

My question is, are there only certain micro SD cards that will work with the Huawei Ascend? Or will all micro SD cards work? I just really don't want to get burned on a purchase (because I will most likely be ordering online). I know how finicky technology can be, so I feel better safe than sorry. I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, I've wracked my brain trying to find an answer to my question with really no luck at all.

So I've been mostly a lurker, because I just got my Ascend on the 11th! My damned contract finally ended! I've fallen in love with this smart phone. It's my first ever. Anywho! I was curious I have been reading about this Icarus mod that is on myascend.org and really would like to try it, but I only have a 2 GB sd card that came with the phone. I want to go out and pick up a 16 GB card so that if I do the icarus mod I only have to do it once! Then I'll have tons of space for whatever I want, hehe.

My question is, are there only certain micro SD cards that will work with the Huawei Ascend? Or will all micro SD cards work? I just really don't want to get burned on a purchase (because I will most likely be ordering online). I know how finicky technology can be, so I feel better safe than sorry. I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, I've wracked my brain trying to find an answer to my question with really no luck at all.

Any brans micro SD card will work. I do recommend Kingston though. They are the ones that give you the least problems and are most durable. Also, the higher the Class of SD card, the faster the transfer speeds will be. This helps with the Apps2SD feature of Icarus. Make sure that you do not go over 16GB though. 32 GB would not work on the Ascend. Only a lucky few have that ability. Feel free to PM me at anytime if you have any questions, problems, or concerns. Good luck!:)

Upvote 0
Any brans micro SD card will work. I do recommend Kingston though. They are the ones that give you the least problems and are most durable. Also, the higher the Class of SD card, the faster the transfer speeds will be. This helps with the Apps2SD feature of Icarus. Make sure that you do not go over 16GB though. 32 GB would not work on the Ascend. Only a lucky few have that ability. Feel free to PM me at anytime if you have any questions, problems, or concerns. Good luck!:)
Right on, I read some on SD cards and found out about that higher class the higher the transfer rate. It's a shame the nice ones were totally out of my price range! Haha, so I ended up going for a plain old 16 gb sd card. Oh and wow I have to say I feel a bit stupid asking this question now, I started thinking about how silly it would be to have specialized sd cards, if they were all going to be the same size......They call me Stoney Mcdoobers.

I definitely need to start reading up on this Clockworkmod stuff. It seems like I have to have a recovery if I want to do this Icarus mod thing. Still got a few days to peruse some threads while waiting on the sd card! So I might bug you soon!

Upvote 0
Right on, I read some on SD cards and found out about that higher class the higher the transfer rate. It's a shame the nice ones were totally out of my price range! Haha, so I ended up going for a plain old 16 gb sd card. Oh and wow I have to say I feel a bit stupid asking this question now, I started thinking about how silly it would be to have specialized sd cards, if they were all going to be the same size......They call me Stoney Mcdoobers.

I definitely need to start reading up on this Clockworkmod stuff. It seems like I have to have a recovery if I want to do this Icarus mod thing. Still got a few days to peruse some threads while waiting on the sd card! So I might bug you soon!

Part of the Icarus instructions are how to flash Clockwork mod. So do not need to worry.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones