• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AHH help!!!

BoulderErisfan (& giggalz, too!)

A set of instructions with pictures exist that show you what the steps look like inside the Amon_RA "custom recovery" for backing up ("Nand" or "Nandroid") the current ROM and flashing a new one. These are in the third post of the thread that scary alien referred to above; here is the direct link to that post.

But, this is giggalz's thread, and we are sort of thread-jacking it - start a new thread if you would like to ask further questions.

eu1

Upvote 0
at exactly an hour..i have finally got market working..*HUGE sighs* i tried everything..i searched everything..couldnt figure out how i didnt have this program linked lol..whatever that means..sooooooooooooooooooo i went back in boot recovery or whatever that part is called..i did a wipe..tried to do a restore etc etc..but it says nothing was there..feeling hopeless i tried and thought of just doing a factory reset etc..maybe thats what i did..i dont know..this is like another language we are speaking..so i gave up..rebooted..again..set up my phone..again..it the blue market app changed to green..thank god!

Hi giggalz,

I sort of struggled to understand your post above. As you said, you sort of need to speak a different language - it needs to be that way (very precise meanings) because computers are so darn fussy about small details.

Take a look at this post that shows pictures from an Amon_RA recovery session. It should look familiar, because you have clearly been using those menus. Maybe the language that is used in that post (with the pictures) will make things a little clearer.

I hope you got your phone working.

eu1

Upvote 0
lol thats what ive used to root my droid...and i go back to it and did last night..i'm not familiar with the proper usage of words so that when i need help like i did last night..people will understand....and after searching around a lot on this ..it can make my head spin a little lol..thank you

Upvote 0
giggalz ... I bet you made the same mistake I did! After, I did a Nand backup and wipe, I couldn't find the ROM I had downloaded.

It was because I didn't MOVE the ROM to the ROOT of the SD card!

In the Universal Root for Dummies guide, when you MOVE the gscript.zip to the root of the SD card (Figures 1 - 8), go back and repeat the process to MOVE THE ROM OF YOUR CHOICE to the root of the SD card before you start.

I bet a lot of us noob rooters (haha) missed that obvious step! I did.

eu1 - Could you possibly add a 'ROM move to SD' step to your most excellent GUIDE? Maybe tuck a sentence in about repeating steps 1 - 8 to move the ROM?

giggalz - Don't give up!

Upvote 0
giggalz ... I bet you made the same mistake I did! After, I did a Nand backup and wipe, I couldn't find the ROM I had downloaded.

It was because I didn't MOVE the ROM to the ROOT of the SD card!

In the Universal Root for Dummies guide, when you MOVE the gscript.zip to the root of the SD card (Figures 1 - 8), go back and repeat the process to MOVE THE ROM OF YOUR CHOICE to the root of the SD card before you start.

I bet a lot of us noob rooters (haha) missed that obvious step! I did.

eu1 - Could you possibly add a 'ROM move to SD' step to your most excellent GUIDE? Maybe tuck a sentence in about repeating steps 1 - 8 to move the ROM?

giggalz - Don't give up!

yea i didnt put it in the root folder..it wasnt until after that the process of doing it was coming back to me...beings i already rooted..i didnt need to do that process so i was skimming through to get me to the backup and wipe part (that sounded odd...lol) so that i could root to the new rom....

all in all it was a waste and a loss..to many force closings for me..i ended up putting the old rom back on..had a minor hiccup thats been fixed..thankfully..how can you have a droid without the market?!?!?! lol

Upvote 0
When I tried to partition my card after having xtrrom on my phone, It did the exact same thing when I tried to boot up. Everything was erased and wouldn't let me get past the loading screen on the rom. Maybe it has something to do with the rom? Never had that problem before when having to partition my card ( I like A2SD, but like the switch between froyo and 2.1 roms).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones