• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AICP 5.1.1 for ZTE ZMAX

okay, first time poster here, been looking around here for a while and maaannnn, yallre doing some crazy good work phew! and lemme also add before I usually ask a question I search the forums to the best of my ability, and im sure I missed it SOMEWHERE, just obviously, lol, not sure where, but to get this straight, coming from a freshly permrooted metro variant zte zmax z970 stock rom, to install aicp rom, what are the steps I need to taktake? im thinking I need to flash a switcher to get R/w and then the ROM, but then I saw master say never do that, could someone be so kind as to please enlighten me on the correct process? PLZ and ty!

Upvote 0
They wouldn't install because you have to do a clean install the first time and you can't flash them over a different GApps package.

I guess everyone's definition of bloat is different. I like to start with the Google stock package and customize which apps it installs/removes by making a .gapps-config in /sdcard/TK-GApps. I hate having to manually download all my Google apps every time I flash a new ROM and prefer having them pre-installed.
I like to install pretty much all the gapps except Google keyboard, books, newsstand, launcher, camera, docs, and slides.
that sounds good i don't like to install all them again either

Upvote 0
okay, first time poster here, been looking around here for a while and maaannnn, yallre doing some crazy good work phew! and lemme also add before I usually ask a question I search the forums to the best of my ability, and im sure I missed it SOMEWHERE, just obviously, lol, not sure where, but to get this straight, coming from a freshly permrooted metro variant zte zmax z970 stock rom, to install aicp rom, what are the steps I need to taktake? im thinking I need to flash a switcher to get R/w and then the ROM, but then I saw master say never do that, could someone be so kind as to please enlighten me on the correct process? PLZ and ty!
Message me.on hangouts. ethanbanker2428@gmail.com

Reactions: nicklandi
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
steps are :
1 download ROM: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347775001
MD5: 418f613eb9d52fb7b2f3ff7a98966e7c

2 download GAPPS http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/?rom=banks&device=gapps
3 install twrp after permroot http://androidforums.com/threads/zte-zmax-twrp-new-version-2-8-6-0.918537/

4 wipe cache data system storage (factory wipe) then flash with twrp wait few mins 5-10

5 if u need sensors after first reboot http://androidforums.com/threads/cm12-1-sensors.922452/

okay, that's an awesome answer BTW thank you, a lot actually, cuz I couldn't seem to find that anywhere dude hah... anyways tho, I'm like extra confused now... so after I install the ROM and gapps, is when I would do this whole zip switcher and restore thing? I understand that's only for system R/w permissions but wouldn't a ROM need that to install? what exactly is the type of stuff I can do that needs R/w permissions first? and is it only R/w to system? or until I enable r/w am I not allowed to move stuff around? for instance in twrp file explorer I can't cope movies from my internal to my external because, and I could be wrong & can double check if necessary, it says no system mounted? or something similar, to that effect... I'm real sorry normally I wouldn't be bombarding with questions, but this in particular is just leaving me blank as to what I need to do... also, I saw a few ppl mention they needed a stock ROM for metropcs ztezmax? well I have one, this backup I made, everything is stock, its got latest twrp custom recov. installed, and rooted with latest SuperSU zip? if that's what anyone is in need of just let me know I don't mind... I'll send a link to dropbox

Upvote 0
After you're done flashing ROM and GAPPS ...
Then ... Unless you are gonna flash some other mods... Like sound or kernal...
After all that.....
Reboot recovery.... Mount system in TWRP.....
Flash switcher... ONLY.....
Then wipe dalvik cache ....
Reboot system.... I always do just because...
Then boot recovery... It'll boot into system....
Set up your favourite apps...
Get it perfecto....
THEN....
you only need to flash restore before you make a backup/flash mods/flash ROM's...

Upvote 0
okay, that's an awesome answer BTW thank you, a lot actually, cuz I couldn't seem to find that anywhere dude hah... anyways tho, I'm like extra confused now... so after I install the ROM and gapps, is when I would do this whole zip switcher and restore thing? I understand that's only for system R/w permissions but wouldn't a ROM need that to install? what exactly is the type of stuff I can do that needs R/w permissions first? and is it only R/w to system? or until I enable r/w am I not allowed to move stuff around? for instance in twrp file explorer I can't cope movies from my internal to my external because, and I could be wrong & can double check if necessary, it says no system mounted? or something similar, to that effect... I'm real sorry normally I wouldn't be bombarding with questions, but this in particular is just leaving me blank as to what I need to do... also, I saw a few ppl mention they needed a stock ROM for metropcs ztezmax? well I have one, this backup I made, everything is stock, its got latest twrp custom recov. installed, and rooted with latest SuperSU zip? if that's what anyone is in need of just let me know I don't mind... I'll send a link to dropbox
ive moved stuff from internal to external with no issues

Upvote 0
I just answered.. Because everyone that asks the same question..... seems to want to do the switchy thingy...
But. I dunno if they really flash them.. One and then the other... Cancelling out switching... right after switching..
Which makes me wonder... How many people have done that.....
And not figured out by the names of the zips....
That one restores.... What one switches....
And I/everyone that's read an op.... so far... From the first switcher/restore made.. and on every ROM.... has instructions...
But. Can't get that you don't restore what you just switched.. If you wanted it to be switched... Until you need to restore it...
I'm just hot...I dunno..
I use em in case they might help..
And I'm too dim to remember if and when they helped....
All I know is that... The only indication that the switcher works... Is that you can't Mount system in TWRP after you boot into system... And it takes you to recovery....
I'm not confused... I'm just rambling

Upvote 0
Will the bug in Snapchat and possibly other apps with the same problem be fixed? At the bottom, where the new Nexus devices has the built in back, home, and side buttons right in the interface so I'm guessing that's why there's a black band at the bottom. Attached is an example

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-24-09-26-11.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-09-26-11.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones