• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Air Fryer Cooking

just air fried some tacos. heated up some corn tortillas, lubed it with some oil, put some meat and cheese in it, loaded them up in the Ninja Foodi and air fried until the tortilla was crispy......so good.

You have piqued my interest my friend. That sounds so very good I immediately ordered some taco racks for my air fryer. Amazon has a four pack of racks for a fifteen and a half bucks... why not give them a try. Thanks for the idea.
51Cz8ZkVLlL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Upvote 0
You have piqued my interest my friend. That sounds so very good I immediately ordered some taco racks for my air fryer. Amazon has a four pack of racks for a fifteen and a half bucks... why not give them a try. Thanks for the idea.
the trick is to heat the tortillas first, otherwise they will break when you fold them. it took me a few tries before i got the technique down. that rack should help out as well. gonna look into getting that.

do you have a link?

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
the trick is to heat the tortillas first, otherwise they will break when you fold them. it took me a few tries before i got the technique down. that rack should help out as well. gonna look into getting that.

do you have a link?
They have different ones and packages to choose from. I went with this offer
https://www.amazon.com/Holder-Stainless-Steel-Stand-Kitchenistry/dp/B07CHY53R9/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2ZEWCWU4FKJDM&dchild=1&keywords=air+fryer+taco+shell+rack&qid=1610736719&sprefix=air+fryer+ta,aps,197&sr=8-13

The video I watched using a similar rack showed them putting a toothpick across the top of the tortilla to keep the taco shell the opening size you desire. Seemed like a good technique.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit concerned about the height of the folded tortillas being too close to the upper burners. I think I might try the tray in the bottom #1 setting on the Cuisinart and then invert the fry basket on top of it. Then place the taco racks on top of that. Who knows... a bit of experimenting is in order. :) The racks are Prime so I should have them Monday.
It won't be long after that I'll be giving the tacos a try. Man they sound good!

Upvote 0
I received the taco racks I ordered today. I did a couple of test drives two tacos at a time. It is a trick to keep the tortillas in the rack with an opening I liked. The toothpick trick sort of worked but was a bit hit and miss. There is also a fine line between chewy and too done. As far as the rack is concerned, it's okay but there may well be a better rack out there. I was just cooking the tortillas without anything in them. Some meat and bean mixture might have made a big difference. Ideally, I'd like to add the taco stuffing after I've fried the tortillas. I'm definitely not giving up on the rack and fresh tacos. Practice makes perfect... or at least better than my first attempts.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Tomorrow is frozen pizza night at the olbriar ranch. I have two pies that are just beef to cook. I have some sliced pepperoni and and Italian sausage I plan to add as well as a small can of sliced ripe olives.
I'd be indebted to you for some frozen pizza cooking tips. I went to the store for some dough and there was none to be found, so the fallback plan was frozen pizzas. I tried one in the air fryer and the crust rose perfectly and the cheese and toppings had the ideal browning, but the center of the crust was uncooked. :(

I googled air fry frozen pizza bot my results were for personal pizzas, not 12" rising crust ones. Did you use a pan? Air fry? Gimme the details please because I failed. :(

Upvote 0
I'd be indebted to you for some frozen pizza cooking tips. I went to the store for some dough and there was none to be found, so the fallback plan was frozen pizzas. I tried one in the air fryer and the crust rose perfectly and the cheese and toppings had the ideal browning, but the center of the crust was uncooked. :(

I googled air fry frozen pizza bot my results were for personal pizzas, not 12" rising crust ones. Did you use a pan? Air fry? Gimme the details please because I failed. :(
I have not cooked a self rising crust. All three I've cooked so far were thin and crispy crust. I used the "Pizza" setting and watched the time. The first was way crispy for I cooked it too long. The thin and crispy worked out great when I watched them a bit closer. I have cooked all of them at 375° with the rack inverted in position one.. or the lower position. I put the pies directly on the rack as the book suggested. The first two were Tombstone brand beef and tonight's was DiGirino supreme. I told the wife that I would like to try the rising crust for it's all the rave. I have shied away from them for their extra crust / carbs that my wife doesn't want. I wish I had something to offer.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I bought some bacon to try in the air fryer. Anyone with any experience? Tonight I'm frying some boneless skinless chicken thighs which has become an air fry favorite.
I haven't tried bacon because I'm afraid of the mess. :wtfdroid: I'm cooking drumsticks in the fryer tonight. Was going to try smoking for an hour then finish off in the fryer, but there is a Nor'Easter going on.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried bacon because I'm afraid of the mess. :wtfdroid: I'm cooking drumsticks in the fryer tonight. Was going to try smoking for an hour then finish off in the fryer, but there is a Nor'Easter going on.

It's almost 50° here right now with zero wind. I was going to smoke the thighs but the wife wanted them air fried.
I will admit that they are pretty darn good fried. They do make a mess much like I figure that bacon will. I've found that putting paper foil in the tray keeps juices from burning on the tray making cleanup much easier. Skinless chicken doesn't splatter much at all so a wipe down is all that's required on the inside of the cooker. Bacon... might be an entirely different deal.

Reading your post once more before posting, I might smoke my thighs and finish with a fry. Sounds like a great idea.

I hope your weather blows though quickly without too much left behind.

Upvote 0
I followed your sage advice and smoked my thighs until I was seeing around 150° then air fried them to put a crisp on the outside. Just WoW! It took a bit less then nine minutes to finish them off. I seasoned them with a new to me bottled seasoning mix of garlic, onion powder, coarse ground pepper, and sea salt. It was a nice one shaker blend I'll be using often. I sprinkled the nearly cooked thighs with paprika before frying. I ate too much. :)

Upvote 0
Air frying bacon is a bit messy. It fried up nice but here are the negatives. 1. There isn't room to fry very many strips at a time. Over lapping the strips is possible but they have to be rotated as well as flipped. One strip on top of another only cooks the strip on top. 2. Bacon by nature renders a lot of grease. I wrapped the pan beneath the basket to catch the grease and prevent it from burning on the pan. This worked great but had to be emptied multiply times while I was cooking to avoid a dangerous spilling amount of hot grease in the pan. 3. The bacon really didn't mess up the inside of the air fryer like I anticipated. There really wasn't that much splatter. There was a lot of moisture release that condensed on the glass door and some on the sides that I had to towel out. 4. Most bacon is cured with a certain amount of sugar. That sugar caramelized on the frying basket and took some effort to scrub out. It stuck on the inside as well as the bottom of the basket. It cleaned up and if that was the only means I had to fry bacon I would not shy away from the cook.
I will say that the bacon was very good. Not greasy and I was able to cook it to the degree that I like without a problem. (just starting to be crispy but not crunchy) Though the air fryer did a great job cooking the bacon, I'm back to using my electric griddle for bacon.

Upvote 0
Air frying bacon is a bit messy. It fried up nice but here are the negatives. 1. There isn't room to fry very many strips at a time. Over lapping the strips is possible but they have to be rotated as well as flipped. One strip on top of another only cooks the strip on top. 2. Bacon by nature renders a lot of grease. I wrapped the pan beneath the basket to catch the grease and prevent it from burning on the pan. This worked great but had to be emptied multiply times while I was cooking to avoid a dangerous spilling amount of hot grease in the pan. 3. The bacon really didn't mess up the inside of the air fryer like I anticipated. There really wasn't that much splatter. There was a lot of moisture release that condensed on the glass door and some on the sides that I had to towel out. 4. Most bacon is cured with a certain amount of sugar. That sugar caramelized on the frying basket and took some effort to scrub out. It stuck on the inside as well as the bottom of the basket. It cleaned up and if that was the only means I had to fry bacon I would not shy away from the cook.
I will say that the bacon was very good. Not greasy and I was able to cook it to the degree that I like without a problem. (just starting to be crispy but not crunchy) Though the air fryer did a great job cooking the bacon, I'm back to using my electric griddle for bacon.
Based on all that I'll stick to cooking it in the oven or on the Traeger. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones