• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Airline Pilot Logbook

I have been trying to find a logbook program for my Samsung Moment (Sprint) since I got it in January. I have tried several ways to download Intellipilot and can't find it in Android Market. Any suggestions.

The only explanation I can think of is that you're still on Android 1.5 (intelliPilot only supports Android 1.6 or above). Have you upgraded to 2.1 yet? Check out this Sprint support page here.

Upvote 0
Can you make XC time export to a column in the export file?

Also, is there a way to make XC the default (checked)?

Some of the fields wrap the text on my EVO if I hold it verticle...
They look like this on my EVO.
-Depart- -UTC-
2010-07- 17:
.......09 ....54

Also, Arrive(Date and UTC) , Duration, and PIC/SIC Day/Nite wrap the last digit(minutes).

All the fields look correct if I hold it horizontal.

I like the updates!!! Keep 'em coming...

Attachments

• snap20100709_193556.png
    snap20100709_193556.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 61
  • snap20100709_193632.png
    snap20100709_193632.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Can you make XC time export to a column in the export file?

Sure can (in the next beta).

Also, is there a way to make XC the default (checked)?

So you fly XC often, I guess. We can add an config option, but is this useful to other pilots?

Some of the fields wrap the text on my EVO if I hold it verticle...

We're aware of this problem. In fact, this issue is documented in our product page. This happens with HTC Sense UI handsets, and it seems that the airport fields are assigned a very long field length, causing the other fields to be squeezed. Check the screenshots in our product page, and you can see how the screens should be rendered in stock Android.

We definitely need to fix this up before we hit v1.0.

I like the updates!!! Keep 'em coming...

Thanks. More goodies are coming. Please help with the testing and send feedback. Thanks.

Upvote 0
So you fly XC often, I guess. We can add an config option, but is this useful to other pilots?

Yes, Every leg I fly is XC... Most all commercial pilots will be flying XC every leg. There are always exceptions... Banner Tows, Traffic Watch, Crop Dusting, Site Seeing, and Joy rides, to name a few.

We're aware of this problem. In fact, this issue is documented in our product page. This happens with HTC Sense UI handsets, and it seems that the airport fields are assigned a very long field length, causing the other fields to be squeezed. Check the screenshots in our product page, and you can see how the screens should be rendered in stock Android.

We definitely need to fix this up before we hit v1.0.

Thanks. More goodies are coming. Please help with the testing and send feedback. Thanks.

Yes, I would agree that this needs to be fixed before V1.0. If I can help in anyway I would be glad to.

A couple of more thoughts...

1- On the "Choose an aircraft" page... At the bottom, add a button for "Add aircraft Reg". I fly many different A/C and I am adding an A/C Reg. almost every leg. I am slowly getting them added to include our fleet but it's hard to remember if I've allready added the reg. When I'm adding a new leg and I get down to the A/C Reg., I would like to scroll through the "Choose an A/C" and if the reg. is not there be able to go to the bottom of the list and click a button for "Add aircraft Reg." This way you would not have to back out of "Choose and aircraft" and then hit Menu, Codes, Aircraft Regs, Menu, Add Aircraft Reg.

2- When Exporting data - have filters for: "After a date" or "All data since last export" or "All Data". I have been manually deleting the rows from the export file, before importing to LogBook Pro. An Export all Data since last export would be awesome!

Ofcouse I'm not the one writing this and I have no clue what you are going thru to write it. I maybe suggesting something that is one click to add or something that would require a total rewrite. Just trying to give you some input. With what you have produced allready, I can use this everytime I go to work.

What you have done in such a short time is great! Thanks again for writing this and making steady improvements!!!

Upvote 0
I like this app alot. I've just started using it tonight and will probably by the full version at the end of the trial. On the next beta, or at least somewhere down the line, would it be possible to make the "plt/cplt" a selection instead of one or the other? I fly with other capts sometimes and we switch legs back and forth, not always cplt or plt. Otherwise, so far I like what I see, good job!

Upvote 0
Yes, Every leg I fly is XC... Most all commercial pilots will be flying XC every leg.

Ok, will provide a config option for default :)

1- On the "Choose an aircraft" page... At the bottom, add a button for "Add aircraft Reg". I fly many different A/C and I am adding an A/C Reg. almost every leg. I am slowly getting them added to include our fleet but it's hard to remember if I've allready added the reg. When I'm adding a new leg and I get down to the A/C Reg., I would like to scroll through the "Choose an A/C" and if the reg. is not there be able to go to the bottom of the list and click a button for "Add aircraft Reg." This way you would not have to back out of "Choose and aircraft" and then hit Menu, Codes, Aircraft Regs, Menu, Add Aircraft Reg.

Ok, we'll think about this. We're planning to implement a convenience feature that is along this line, slightly different but more consistent with the UI of the app. That is to allow you to long press the aircraft reg field and select add, edit, etc.

2- When Exporting data - have filters for: "After a date" or "All data since last export" or "All Data". I have been manually deleting the rows from the export file, before importing to LogBook Pro. An Export all Data since last export would be awesome!

Yes, we have planned more features of the export to make it more useful. We will have export by a date range and export all since last export. We can probably add "export data after a date".

Of couse I'm not the one writing this and I have no clue what you are going thru to write it. I maybe suggesting something that is one click to add or something that would require a total rewrite. Just trying to give you some input. With what you have produced already, I can use this everytime I go to work.

Ok, that's great. It's fun developing this app, and the changes will not require a rewrite 'cause we have planned for most of what you suggested all along :)

What you have done in such a short time is great! Thanks again for writing this and making steady improvements!!!

No problems. Glad to build a app that is useful.

Upvote 0
I like this app alot. I've just started using it tonight and will probably by the full version at the end of the trial. On the next beta, or at least somewhere down the line, would it be possible to make the "plt/cplt" a selection instead of one or the other? I fly with other capts sometimes and we switch legs back and forth, not always cplt or plt. Otherwise, so far I like what I see, good job!

Glad you like the app. I must admit that we've been using confusing terminology in our app (e.g. pic/sic vs pilot/copilot). The original intent of the pilot/copilot default (based on user request) is to specify your qualification, not the flying position. So if you're a SIC, you'll always be in the co-pilot position, but you can be flying or not. Are we confused, or is this treatment not universally applied in all countries or companies? Would be very happy to discuss further.

Upvote 0
We're planning to implement a convenience feature that is along this line, slightly different but more consistent with the UI of the app. That is to allow you to long press the aircraft reg field and select add, edit, etc.

Yes, we have planned more features of the export to make it more useful. We will have export by a date range and export all since last export. We can probably add "export data after a date".

I guess that's why you are writing this and I'm not... :)

A long press to add an A/C Reg. would be great. I didn't even think of that.

Those export options would also be wonderful. I am already using this app. and would be glad to purchase what you have already released.

Posted from my EVO.

Upvote 0
Glad you like the app. I must admit that we've been using confusing terminology in our app (e.g. pic/sic vs pilot/copilot). The original intent of the pilot/copilot default (based on user request) is to specify your qualification, not the flying position. So if you're a SIC, you'll always be in the co-pilot position, but you can be flying or not. Are we confused, or is this treatment not universally applied in all countries or companies? Would be very happy to discuss further.

Not necessarily. Really, after going back and looking at it, what really makes a difference is the PIC/SIC box, not the pilot/copilot. You could actually remove that I think (if everyone tends to agree). I was thinking after going back and looking at it some more that I would even just remove my comment about that. So far so good.

Upvote 0
I have the cliq, which shows firmware version 1.5 Which means I'm SOL until Motorola learns to design, (supposedly 2.1 is around the corner. That corner started last yr) Starting to think G1 was better

According to Motorola support info, Android 2.1 for Cliq is being tested.

A leaked test ROM is out, and it seems that an August release date is possible.

Upvote 0
Another Update... Wow you got it going on! :)

I like the support for IATA and XC default, my Logbook Pro has been IATA. I had to go back and edit all of my previously entered data in IntelliPilot and change to airports to 3 letters. Glad you got this changed before I had a ton to edit.

I also noticed you may have changed some of the screen settings or something with the screen layout. It looks a lot better but there is still some tweeking to do... I'll attach a screen shot. The date and the PIC still wraps. I did just do an update on the EVO software, maybe they made some changes too?

One more thing and I don't know if this is too much to ask. In the Approach box: Is there a way to make it a dropdown selection for the type of approach? I'll also attach a screen shot of Logbook Pro where they select the number and type of approach. Not sure how this would import to Logbook Pro, but I'm sure if anyone can figure it out you can!

Thanks agian!!!

Hope these screen shots help...

Attachments

• snap20100731_102940.png
    snap20100731_102940.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Logbook Screen.jpg
    Logbook Screen.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Another Update... Wow you got it going on! :)

I like the support for IATA and XC default, my Logbook Pro has been IATA. I had to go back and edit all of my previously entered data in IntelliPilot and change to airports to 3 letters. Glad you got this changed before I had a ton to edit.

Oh, sorry about the hassle. We were planning to auto convert ICAO to IATA, but realised that not all ICAO has IATA code, so didn't implement it.

I also noticed you may have changed some of the screen settings or something with the screen layout. It looks a lot better but there is still some tweeking to do... I'll attach a screen shot. The date and the PIC still wraps. I did just do an update on the EVO software, maybe they made some changes too?

Yes, we did make some changes to the screen layout hoping to fix the issues with Sense UI. It's a bit better now, but as you can see, some fields still wrap. I'm interested to see what Sense 2.2 (supposed to be out in the next few days) will bring.

One more thing and I don't know if this is too much to ask. In the Approach box: Is there a way to make it a dropdown selection for the type of approach? I'll also attach a screen shot of Logbook Pro where they select the number and type of approach. Not sure how this would import to Logbook Pro, but I'm sure if anyone can figure it out you can!

Other pilots have also raised the approach request. We haven't decided what to do yet, but one possible solution is to add an extra tab to capture individual approach types (like LogBook Pro). Some pilots have told us that they don't log approaches at all.

Is a dropdown box sufficent? That would be quite easy to implement, but you can only log one approach type per flight. Is this correct?

Stay tuned for more updates :)

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry about the hassle. We were planning to auto convert ICAO to IATA, but realised that not all ICAO has IATA code, so didn't implement it.

No problem at all, it was only 44 flights...

Yes, we did make some changes to the screen layout hoping to fix the issues with Sense UI. It's a bit better now, but as you can see, some fields still wrap. I'm interested to see what Sense 2.2 (supposed to be out in the next few days) will bring.

I am also looking forward to the 2.2 update!!!

Other pilots have also raised the approach request. We haven't decided what to do yet, but one possible solution is to add an extra tab to capture individual approach types (like LogBook Pro). Some pilots have told us that they don't log approaches at all.

Since I use Logbook Pro, you can guess which way I would like it ;).
Also, it would need to be reflected in the export file, each type of approach would have to have a column. Logbook Pro will import a column into each type of approach. Some pilots don't keep a logbook at all... This is just something I have done from the beginning.

Is a dropdown box sufficent? That would be quite easy to implement, but you can only log one approach type per flight. Is this correct?

In a perfect world... yes one approach per flight. But, sometimes you miss an approach and go to an alternate airport (2 approaches - one flight) or you execute a go-around and have to complete a 2nd approach at the same airport. Also, student pilots make several approaches and types in a one hour lesson. One approach per flight is not always correct. You may even do two types of Approaches - A NDB approach at one airport and miss, then an ILS approach at your alternate(or any combination).

Also don't forget the export file needs a X-C column...

Hope this helps... If I can help in anymore with the Sense screens let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Since I use Logbook Pro, you can guess which way I would like it ;).

Sounds like we need to add a tab for logging the approaches :) We'll keep the original text field as comments.

Also, it would need to be reflected in the export file, each type of approach would have to have a column.

Sure, we'll cater for that as well.

Also don't forget the export file needs a X-C column...

Yes, we haven't forgotten about that. The export function is undergoing major changes, so we haven't included the XC yet.

If I can help in anymore with the Sense screens let me know.

When you upgrade to Sense 2.2, please test and let us know if it screws up the screen layout further. Thanks.

Upvote 0
When you upgrade to Sense 2.2, please test and let us know if it screws up the screen layout further. Thanks.

I finally did the upgrade to 2.2 and I can't tell any difference in the screen layout. (Screen shot attached)

I was waiting on a Rooted OTA ROM and elected to root with the Fresh OTA ROM. I thought I backed up everything(Apps & Data) with Titantium Backup. After I applied the ROM, I tried to restore all my data from Intellipilot... :( Had to re-enter 52 flights and 5 A/C types with 35 Registrations. Oh well, At least it wasn't too many.

So now I have another suggestion...

Please add a way to import or at least a way to backup and restore to SD card? (All flights, A/C, and registrations) When the 5G phone comes out I will have too many flights to re-enter all of them.

Here is the screen shot from 2.2 Sense...

Attachments

• CAP201008080951.jpg
    CAP201008080951.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
I finally did the upgrade to 2.2 and I can't tell any difference in the screen layout. (Screen shot attached)

Ok, at least they didn't mess it up further :)

I was waiting on a Rooted OTA ROM and elected to root with the Fresh OTA ROM. I thought I backed up everything(Apps & Data) with Titantium Backup. After I applied the ROM, I tried to restore all my data from Intellipilot... :( Had to re-enter 52 flights and 5 A/C types with 35 Registrations. Oh well, At least it wasn't too many.

Sorry to hear about your problems. So did the databases get restored successfully, or just empty?

An user told us that MyBackup Pro (rooted phones only) works with backing up and restoring.

So now I have another suggestion...

Please add a way to import or at least a way to backup and restore to SD card? (All flights, A/C, and registrations) When the 5G phone comes out I will have too many flights to re-enter all of them.

Yes, we'll have a backup/restore feature by v1.0. You can at least backup to SD and possibly Google account. The current export only export flight details, so that will be enhanced too to include other data.

Upvote 0
Ok, at least they didn't mess it up further :)

Sorry to hear about your problems. So did the databases get restored successfully, or just empty?

An user told us that MyBackup Pro (rooted phones only) works with backing up and restoring.

Yes, we'll have a backup/restore feature by v1.0. You can at least backup to SD and possibly Google account. The current export only export flight details, so that will be enhanced too to include other data.

It was probably user error... When I backed up with Titanium I selected backup all apps and data. I couldn't find any files to restore for Intellipilot. I am trying MyBackup now. Thanks for the tip. It looks a lot more user friendly.

Upvote 0
To be honest one app really won't fit, or suit, all the requirements for the different types of flying. Ideally I'd like an option at initial set up specifying what type of flying I do and tailoring the screen layout and data output accordingly.

As a commercial airline pilot I'm primarily interested in keeping track of flying and duty hours based around the limits set by the aviation authorities, in my case European flight time limits. Having a check box asking if the flight is x-country, for example, is just superfulous. The proposed option, mentioned above, to log all the different approaches, for me, is of little use. I rarely divert, and if I do I can add any information I think relevant in the comments section. In other words I don't want to be bugged every time for information that I don't want to record. Of course for instructors and students this information may be important to log.

On the summary page the day/weekly/monthly/yearly hours are of little practical use. What I want to see straight away, as a commercial pilot, are:

Rolling 28 day flying hours (ending at midnight on that day) - most important
Rolling annual flying hours
Rolling 7 day and 14 day duty hours

To have just one single interface for all is going to get too cumbersome.

Upvote 0
I've been reading your progression on the pilot logbook since february and finally took the plunge and purchased the new Samsung Epic. Downloaded Intellipilot but can't get past the initial "Flight List Empty", press "Menu - add Flight to add.??? I know the Samsung Epic does not come with the new Google update as of yet, is this the problem?

Upvote 0
I've been reading your progression on the pilot logbook since february and finally took the plunge and purchased the new Samsung Epic. Downloaded Intellipilot but can't get past the initial "Flight List Empty", press "Menu - add Flight to add.??? I know the Samsung Epic does not come with the new Google update as of yet, is this the problem?

Hi flygirlm,

Sorry, didn't realise that you posted. Do you still have problems adding a flight?

It should be quite simple - press the MENU and then select "Add Flight".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones