1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Airplay like functionality on Android

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by FredSki, Jan 5, 2013.

1. FredSki

FredSki Lurker

I have tried lot's of apps in the app store to basically get airplay like functionality on Android. Music only. They all suffer from the same problem: it's not transparant. They all come with a player app, each with it's pro's and con's.

Apple has done it beautifully right: You can simply reroute the audio of the device to an airplay player. It's like bluetooth a2dp but then using WiFi. All Android alternatives i found do the same thing but only for the app itself. With Apple, it doesn't matter what app you're using, all is rerouted, and you have volume control on the mobile. I prefer DLNA over Airplay btw, but it doesn't matter much, because I will be sending it to XBMC.

So: use case as an example: I have Spotify on my mobile, and I want it's output to play on the speakers thru XBMC.

Anybody know how to do this on Android platform?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. FredSki

FredSki Lurker

Are you sure? I have just installed AirBubble and it is used to receive on android. Then Airfoil makes sense. However, I want from mobile to XBMC (thru uPNP or Airplay).

spotify or google music on android ----> XBMC on PC/Mac/RPi -----> receiver -----> speakers

3. FredSki

FredSki Lurker

I'm Sorry. Still not what I want :-(

Again, this one comes with it's own player, so that's app-based streaming. I do not want that. I want device based streaming. Music output from any app will be "redirected" via wifi. Exactly the same as with bluetooth. I am currently using bluetooth, but it cant compete with wifi based streaming, like airplay.

4. Can't you connect your smartphone directcty to speakers input?

5. FredSki

FredSki Lurker

If you mean wired: sure, but that's not the point, is it?

I want to sit on the couch, select with whatever app whatever music, and play that on my speakers. Not with Bluetooth, but with wifi.