• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help alarm clock failed me again today!

My Hero woke me an hour early this morning. Unfortunately I didn't realize the time was wrong until I got to work an hour early (5:00 AM) ouch!

It happened only once before (clock was off an hour last night too). Both times I shut off the phone removed the battery and rebooted and the time was corrected.

No Task Killer installed here. But I did install this new app yesterday "Floating Image" it's very cool and will float pictures across the screen. I think maybe this program used up all my cache memory.

If anyone has any suggestions please let us know. We all want to be able to use and TRUST our phone alarms. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Re: alarm staying 'silent', I suffered this for the past 3 weeks, tried everything above except factory reset (wanting to avoid many hours reloading software, customizing phone etc); then I found this advice on another site, and cured the problem!
Fixing a Silent Alarm on HTC Hero Chris Bunney

I had *not* expected the alarm to have its own volume setting; when I adjusted the volume control while selecting the alarm ringtone it came up from 'no sound' (but not 'silent') and then worked fine.

Overall I like my Hero but sometimes it's too clever for its own good...

Reactions: Jille
Upvote 0
Oops, it did it again! Actually it happened two days in a row. The clock stops during the night and the alarm does not go off. I think that it is a combination of running a paused audiobook player and probably silent email notifications. Maybe something else. I've recently updated to 2.1 and hoped that this problem would be gone. Apparently not.

Upvote 0
I'm now pretty much sure that the problem is caused by a combination of a paused audiobookplayer and a silent email notification arriving when the phone is locked. For some reason it makes the clock stop. When I unlock my phone this morning the clock (not the widget but actual clock in the upper right corner of the screen) was showing 1.34am. It got updated in a couple of second.

Upvote 0
I have this exact problem with the Samsung Galaxy S... The clock stops updating overnight, when the phone goes to sleep, so my alarm never goes off :( Then it updates after a couple seconds when you turn the screen back on.

I don't use a task killer. Nor do i have a paused audiobook. And my phone is on airplane mode overnight so there are no email notifications. I think the problem is somewhat deeper, and android related, not phone-specific =\

If anybody can find a fix for this i will love you forever (figuratively).

Upvote 0
Interesting. I always blamed sound management problems. I think the clock works on the hardware level (like in BIOS in a PC). Probably the alarm is set on the software level (unlike in Nokia phones for example where it goes off even if the phone is switched off). The thing is it does not look like a wide-spread problem. Probably some other appication causes it. I've got Advanced Task Killer installed but it does not kill anything automatically. Is there any way to identify the cause of the problem? Something like looking in some logs?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have this exact problem with the Samsung Galaxy S... The clock stops updating overnight, when the phone goes to sleep, so my alarm never goes off :( Then it updates after a couple seconds when you turn the screen back on.

I don't use a task killer. Nor do i have a paused audiobook. And my phone is on airplane mode overnight so there are no email notifications. I think the problem is somewhat deeper, and android related, not phone-specific =\

If anybody can find a fix for this i will love you forever (figuratively).

I was just wondering do you have the date and time on automatic?

Upvote 0
everyone is quick to blame task killer apps but i dont trust the phone alarm and i dont use a task killer.
i have posted prev about my alarm not going off and i think its a genuine bug not a person fault.
at the mo im using a back up alarm as i cycle to work and its a 40 min ride,so cant afford to sleep in.looks like we'll have to keep fiddling for a solution.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda with tool on this one... because I really can't think of any volume or setting that could be wrong with my setup. Although why most people have no problem at all is beyond me, in this case.

noddle, nah I've tried it with it on automatic, and then tried it without. Both failed to set off the alarm.

Diamond-Geezer, thing is, since it keeps failing, every time i do set it up it is directly before i go to bed :p and it says how long until it should go off. And the (alarm) volume is set near max so i cant imagine that would be the issue either.

Upvote 0
Has anybody else noticed the time lag, from when you turn it on in the morning after it being on all night? Like the time is wrong for a second or two, then updates.

Or if you haven't noticed, look out for it tomorrow morning and report back? :p

yep.i seen this..how is an alarm set for blah blah blah supposed to go off when the phone thinks its still 1.30 am?

Upvote 0
I, personally, have no idea how to go about debugging the issue. I've only had an android phone for a week :p haha.

I did submit a bug report though..

Issue 9974 - android - Time stops updating whilst phone is asleep (causing alarm clock to fail). - Project Hosting on Google Code

So maybe if people express a similar issue then it will get looked at :). I imagine google knows how to debug :p lol
I have added my star to the issue. In the meantime I have updated to 2.2 (using FroydVillain ROM) so we'll see if the issue persists.

Upvote 0
I, personally, have no idea how to go about debugging the issue. I've only had an android phone for a week :p haha.

I did submit a bug report though..

Issue 9974 - android - Time stops updating whilst phone is asleep (causing alarm clock to fail). - Project Hosting on Google Code

So maybe if people express a similar issue then it will get looked at :). I imagine google knows how to debug :p lol

There is this bug report too for the same issue:

Issue 9524 - android - [Alarm Clock] Alarm doesn't get triggered as per scheduled, triggered only when phone gets turned on manually after alarm set time! - Project Hosting on Google Code

It's definitly not a problem with a task killer killing the service / app as the majority of users don't have them installed as you can see from reading the 2 bug reports. If however, you do have a task killer then not adding the Clock to the ignore list will cause the same symptoms! But this issue is an issue with Google and the Clock app or their OS.

It's been happening for a year and still no solution / work around from Google. It's a pretty annoying bug! C'mon Google..!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones