1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Alarm keeps sounding on Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbcamel, Oct 24, 2017.

1. jbcamel

jbcamel Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    I just upgraded from a Galaxy S4 to and S8. On my S4 my alarm would sound four times then automatically go into snooze mode. On the S8 it keeps going and going. Maybe 10 times or more. I can't figure out how to change it. It is SO annoying. It's also troubling because there are times when my phone is out of ear shot and the alarm will keep going and going. Can't be good for battery life and also annoys the hell out of anyone around.

Is there a way to change how may times it sounds before snoozing?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Kevin-B

Kevin-B Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    When I go to the Clock app's Alarm panel, the Settings (upper right triple-dot icon) offer to silence the alarm after an interval of my choice between 1 and 25 minutes. Is that what you're looking for?

3. jbcamel

jbcamel Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    That would be perfect if I had that option. The only thing I see when I press the three dots is "Delete" and "About Clock".

Do you have an S8?

4. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    I'm understanding from your question that the alarm rings, let's say for a minute. Then if you don't turn it off, it rings again a few minutes later and that happens 10 times. If that's so, and you have the same alarm app as me (Galaxy s5) then lower the repeat time and the interval between them (screenshots below) press on the snooze option and decide how long between each alarm, then scroll down and select how many times it repeats.

If however the issue is that the alarm rings for 10 min. Strait then you'll have to search for a different alarm app. As this one doesn't have the option to change that

Attached Files:

5. Kevin-B

Feb 24, 2010
    Yes, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, not plus, not Note.

However, your comment prompted me to investigate. I'm using the Google Clock app, not the Samsung app by the same name. The Samsung one has the Settings you describe.

I'd suggest switching to the Google clock app whose alarms offer the time-limitation options I described. You might be able to disable or hide the Samsung one so that you don't end up using it by accident.

Let us know if that helps.

6. jbcamel

jbcamel Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Thank you, thank you!! The Google Clock is perfect. I was using the Samsung alarm. It rings for 5 minutes without stopping and there's no way to change the settings.

Kevin-B likes this.
  7. Kevin-B

Feb 24, 2010
    Glad that helped!

This is my first Samsung in a while. In the past I bought generic Google phones (last one was the Turbo) because the apps just work more the way I want. But for various unavoidable reasons, the Samsung was the only one that handled certain apps I actually need to survive. (FDA-approved health apps.)

I'm mystified why Samsung's "Tough Whizz" or whatever it's called, and its inferior clones of the Google core apps even exist. As much as possible, I have eliminated them in favor of the Googles.

And after reading all the complaints about the Google Pixel2 hardware, I'm OK with the Samsung.

8. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    I always use Google Assistant to wake me up, I just ask it to repeat itself so many times in a certain and it stops because it had completed its task.

9. jbcamel

jbcamel Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Only complaint about Google alarm is if I miss it, it doesn't snooze, it shuts off. It only snoozes if I manually swipe it to snooze. The old Samsung alarm on the S4 would snooze (for length of time and number of times that I set it) if I didn't either manually shut if off or snooze it. Sometimes when I'm someplace very noisy I miss the alarm completely and it doesn't ring again until the next day. Since these alarms are for medication that can be a problem.

Oh well, it's still better that the one that came with the phone.

Thanks again

10. Kevin-B

Feb 24, 2010
    I wonder if you could achieve what you're looking for with a Calendar appointment or series of those during the day. (Perhaps that doesn't work with your particular medication schedule.)

I use repeating nagging reminders for my calendar stuff with Google Calendar in combination with the Calendar Notifications app that gives my fine control over auto-snooze/auto-remind options. (I just hate being in the shower and missing the one alert that I'm late for something.... you get the idea.

If that works and you don't want to clutter up your visible calendar with your medical alerts, you might try creating a new calendar to manage those reminders which is connected to the Calendar Notifications app but not visible in your standard Calendar view.

I bet that was really confusing. Sorry if I'm over-thinking this.

11. jbcamel

jbcamel Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think it would get a bit confusing since the times are not the same every day. The vary depending on when I wake up.

Unfortunately I discovered that Google Clock has another annoying problem. The only way to snooze it or shut it off is to swipe the screen in exactly the right way. The Samsung alarm shuts off if I just turn the phone over or put my hand over the screen. This is handy if I'm driving or if it goes off and I need to shut it down very fast. like in a quiet place. This is enough of a problem so that I had to go back to the Samsung Clock even though it rings for a full five minutes if I'm not there to shut it off. The ladies in the locker room of the YMCA just LOVE that when my phone goes off every 15 minutes and I'm not there to shut it off. Luckily that doesn't happen often.

Maybe there's another alarm app somewhere that does everything I want. What I don't understand is why Samsung changed something that was working so well.

Kevin-B likes this.
  12. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    I had a similar issue with the g clock. Usually when my alarm rings, i snooze it by pressing any button on the phone. But with the Google clock, the only way to turn it off or snooze was to swipe on the screen.

After playing with the app i realized that if i block notifications for the app (settings>app manger>clock>notifications>block) it then allows me to snooze by pressing buttons.
    Really strange.

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8