• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alas, I am leaving the EVO for the Epic

2 million galaxys gone in two and a half months, flawed or not, thats a spec that cant be argued.

argument, you are comparing 4 phones on 4 different carriers to 1 phone on 1 carrier. how does this even work?

good move on samsung's part.. YES. fair to compare its sales to the evo.. NO

if you want to compare something go compare the epic sales numbers vs the evo's. or maybe all htc phones to all samsung phones, tho that's probably not fair either.

I hope you have noticed I have not bashed the epic at all. nor compared it to the evo. nor have I said the evo is a better phone. I only mentioned how its call quality was and that it doesn't drop calls for me.

can we let this thread get back on topic now?

Upvote 0
*Normally* no dropped calls. But a couple weeks ago the local tower was down, and that made it nearly impossible for me to make or receive phone calls for over a week where I live!:mad: Now it's back to normal.

@ OP: It wasn't my Evo's fault, and all the while I could have gone with an airrave to fix the problem. I would suggest that you had the same problem that I did, but considering that you claim to have an airrave and still have no signal, you either do not have the airrave plugged in or you have a bad handset...

Anyways, as you can overwhelmingly see, this phone is not prone to not receiving a signal... I hope you figure out what it was that was causing your problem and good luck with the Epic!

Upvote 0
argument, you are comparing 4 phones on 4 different carriers to 1 phone on 1 carrier. how does this even work?

You are right, but lets be a little more accurate, Verizon just released the Fascinate for the most part, The epic has been out for not even a full 30 days and definitely was not at the point of the 2 million sold point. So that leaves the vibrant and captivate split those numbers however you like. I wish I could give you a ACCURATE number for the evo, but sprint lied about their sales on the phone from the start.
Sprint Overstates HTC EVO Sales By 3X!

Upvote 0
:thinking: I thought the name of this thread was something about leaving the EVO for the EPIC:thinking:

aparently you didn't read the first post. The thread is about an evo owner having reception issues with sprint and having to switch to the epic, not your opinion on phone sex appeal(very strange by the way). the op was asking about anyone with a similair transition. NOT sales numbers.

dude, you own a captivate on at&t right?

Upvote 0
You are right, but lets be a little more accurate, Verizon just released the Fascinate for the most part, The epic has been out for not even a full 30 days and definitely was not at the point of the 2 million sold point. So that leaves the vibrant and captivate split those numbers however you like. I wish I could give you a ACCURATE number for the evo, but sprint lied about their sales on the phone from the start.
Sprint Overstates HTC EVO Sales By 3X!

I'm sorry but I don't care what has outsold what. Or whats more popular. For me hands down the epic has a slide out keyboard, therfore I am not interested. There I have now stated my opinion on the 2 are you happy?

you are using a phone that is not in the thread title nor are you on sprint, are you jealous of sprint users or something?

here since you seem to have lost your way http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/110482-evo-4g-vs-epic-4g.html bring your sales numbers here please.

Upvote 0
aparently you didn't read the first post. The thread is about an evo owner having reception issues with sprint and having to switch to the epic, not your opinion on phone sex appeal(very strange by the way). the op was asking about anyone with a similair transition. NOT sales numbers.

dude, you own a captivate on at&t right?

Alright after this I will no longer interupt your important discussion. First my initial post was only to address, how evo to epic is a downgrade? second you chimed in on something I wasnt even talking to you about. I did bring up display comparison once again to nothing you posted about. I admit it was I that caused a little detour in this thread for that i apologize, but I was on topic for the most part when the part of the thread that interested me was when it was stated that the epic was a downgrade. I am sorry that you could not follow that:(. Also it is you who seems to want to turn this into a heated topic, like the continuous reference to my manhood and being feminine, based on a remark that I made only to be funny:D. I never said the evo was not any good, in fact it is a nice phone, just not for me. I understand that sitting behind a computer may make you feel a little manly but dont let it get out of hand. Sorry to evolve your thread.

Upvote 0
Alright after this I will no longer interupt your important discussion. First my initial post was only to address, how evo to epic is a downgrade? second you chimed in on something I wasnt even talking to you about. I did bring up display comparison once again to nothing you posted about. I admit it was I that caused a little detour in this thread for that i apologize, but I was on topic for the most part when the part of the thread that interested me was when it was stated that the epic was a downgrade. I am sorry that you could not follow that:(. Also it is you who seems to want to turn this into a heated topic, like the continuous reference to my manhood and being feminine, based on a remark that I made only to be funny:D. I never said the evo was not any good, in fact it is a nice phone, just not for me. I understand that sitting behind a computer may make you feel a little manly but dont let it get out of hand. Sorry to evolve your thread.

its a forum, you're kinda talking to everyone when you make comparisons. I'm not the only who thought your comment was weird vs funny. sorry but you were the one that kept it going with your wife and sales comment, I only tried to state that it was weird.

glad we can let this rest. I'm no longer going to post here either.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problem with someone on the Evo forum claiming the Epic is a worse phone than the Evo, but calling it a "downgrade" isn't at all correct technically. If someone called the Epic glitchier, rougher around the edges or guilty of having a worse UI, I could agree: HTC's Android overlay is a work of art not only visually but functionally. The Epic's 3G reception at this point in the launch -- which is tilted in Evo's favor by several months, as anyone who remembers the Evo's initial issues should admit -- is clearly worse than the Evo's. Why that is, or whether it will be fixed with the next firmware upgrade, as Sprint claims, no one knows.

But that doesn't make it a "downgrade."

Saying that Froyo is faster than 2.1 is also true. But the Galaxy phones are slated for Froyo and that's going to happen soon. It's a question of a scheduled software upgrade, so, again, the phone's not a "downgrade."

For those and a number of other reasons, calling the Epic a downgrade is factually false. Worse than that, it's Tea Party false in that it quotes itself as a reliable source and then claims its views are validated by said reliable source.

The Epic's processor is faster, etc., etc. Fewer megapixels on the Epic, but better white balance and, as any professional photographer will tell you, megapixel counts are misleading. More screen real estate on the Evo, but the SAMOLED on the Epic is better. On a spec level, the downgrade argument doesn't hold.

The real argument for the Evo is that it provides a better user experience than the Epic, and I agree with that. If it weren't for the Epic's keyboard, I'd choose the Evo without thinking twice. It feels more solid to me as well.

But calling the Epic a "fairly universally accepted downgrade" on a "competitive" forum is monumentally childish. The part I take issue with is this:

bigddybn: EVO to Epic is a fairly universally accepted downgrade unless you just absolutely have to have the hardware keyboard.
Those three words show where bigddybn plunges from mere incorrectness to obnoxious phone bigotry. It is not "accepted" anywhere, "fairly" or "universally," that the Epic's a downgrade from the Evo. None of the reviewers' comparisons of both phones conclude the Epic's a "downgrade." Reviewers simply prefer one smartphone or the other, which is the truth about users on Android Forums as well as critics. Bgddybn can assume a professorial tone all he likes, but he's still making false claims to support personal preference and calling them factual.

And by the way: Which is it, "fairly" accepted or "universally" accepted? There's no such thing as "fairly universal."

He also fails to help the OP, who is complaining not about smartphone specs but reliable voice service. She wasn't trying to engage us in a smartphone pissing contest. She simply wanted advice on choosing the best phone that worked as a phone. You know, as in receiving and making phone calls.

I'm here to tell missdeevi to stick with the Evo. As of this moment on a day-to-day level, the Evo's the better phone -- specifically in terms of 3G reception and dropped calls.

That's all that needs to be said.

Reactions: tylerdurdin
Upvote 0
I don't have any problem with someone on the Evo forum claiming the Epic is a worse phone than the Evo, but calling it a "downgrade" isn't at all correct technically. If someone called the Epic glitchier, rougher around the edges or guilty of having a worse UI, I could agree: HTC's Android overlay is a work of art not only visually but functionally. The Epic's 3G reception at this point in the launch -- which is tilted in Evo's favor by several months, as anyone who remembers the Evo's initial issues should admit -- is clearly worse than the Evo's. Why that is, or whether it will be fixed with the next firmware upgrade, as Sprint claims, no one knows.

But that doesn't make it a "downgrade."

Saying that Froyo is faster than 2.1 is also true. But the Galaxy phones are slated for Froyo and that's going to happen soon. It's a question of a scheduled software upgrade, so, again, the phone's not a "downgrade."

For those and a number of other reasons, calling the Epic a downgrade is factually false. Worse than that, it's Tea Party false in that it quotes itself as a reliable source and then claims its views are validated by said reliable source.

The Epic's processor is faster, etc., etc. Fewer megapixels on the Epic, but better white balance and, as any professional photographer will tell you, megapixel counts are misleading. More screen real estate on the Evo, but the SAMOLED on the Epic is better. On a spec level, the downgrade argument doesn't hold.

The real argument for the Evo is that it provides a better user experience than the Epic, and I agree with that. If it weren't for the Epic's keyboard, I'd choose the Evo without thinking twice. It feels more solid to me as well.

But calling the Epic a "fairly universally accepted downgrade" on a "competitive" forum is monumentally childish. The part I take issue with is this:

Those three words show where bigddybn plunges from mere incorrectness to obnoxious phone bigotry. It is not "accepted" anywhere, "fairly" or "universally," that the Epic's a downgrade from the Evo. None of the reviewers' comparisons of both phones conclude the Epic's a "downgrade." Reviewers simply prefer one smartphone or the other, which is the truth about users on Android Forums as well as critics. Bgddybn can assume a professorial tone all he likes, but he's still making false claims to support personal preference and calling them factual.

And by the way: Which is it, "fairly" accepted or "universally" accepted? There's no such thing as "fairly universal."

He also fails to help the OP, who is complaining not about smartphone specs but reliable voice service. She wasn't trying to engage us in a smartphone pissing contest. She simply wanted advice on choosing the best phone that worked as a phone. You know, as in receiving and making phone calls.

I'm here to tell missdeevi to stick with the Evo. As of this moment on a day-to-day level, the Evo's the better phone -- specifically in terms of 3G reception and dropped calls.

That's all that needs to be said.

Just curious, what phone do you have?

Upvote 0
In about a decade with Sprint, I have had probably less than 5 dropped calls. Ever. I have NEVER had one with my Evo. I don't even read threads about dropped calls with Evo; this thread is a rare, rare exception. It's actually a fairly common complaint with the Epic though, which makes it surprising you'd get it to solve a dropped call issue.

Upvote 0
Had an EVO and thought I needed an EPIC due to the screen.

Never had dropped calls with the EVO...did with the EPIC.

Was really unhappy with the fact that it was a slider even though I thought I needed a real keyboard.

camera on the EPIC is better. Increased size on the EVO screen makes a big difference actually working on it.

Came back to the EVO as I now know which one is actually an all around better device....and I've still not dropped a call :)

Reactions: TMAG-FM
Upvote 0
I don't know but it seems strange to me that being your issue with the phone has a lot to due with the service in your area, why would you get another phone on the same provider?

I know the issue seems to be with just the phone itself as other devices have worked better than the EVO with the Airrave but what garauntee do you have that the EPIC will be better in this regard?

You should have tried the EPIC for 30 days before making the decision is really what I am saying.

I have had zero dropped calls with the EVO and it is the best phone I have ever had and even used as far as quality, reception, and lack of dropped calls and I have been on Sprint since the early Nextel days.

I've had Sprint for years upon YEARS upon YEARS and have NEVER dropped this many calls, and I haven't moved either. I live literally 6 blocks from the Walt Whitman bridge into Philadelphia which has 4g service all the way out to parts of Gloucester, Camden, Burlington, and Salem counties. I got my EVO on June 4th, the day it came out, before they'd announced the Epic. I found out about the epic a week after my 30 days and I'd sold my Palm Pre to buy the Evo. And my dropped calls were not just with the Airave..that was to improve service for my Evo at home. I've dropped calls in downtown Philadelphia with full 4g/3g.

Upvote 0
ANyway, I went to the EPIC for TWO reasons...one if I had known about Ultra keyboard adding tracer features would be a little less, and the other being dropped calls. You guys do not have to believe that it is happening or that it happened, Sprint even admitted my completed call rate was below their standards of except-able, but the ONLY offer they would give was the 125 dollar buy back. When I first got the Evo in June, Shaprewriter was in the market, when I got my replacement, it no longer was. I wasn't going to pay 12 bucks for a keyboard. I will be the first to admit that the Epic is by no means comparable to the Evo. In fact the Sprint reps at my local Sprint store even suggest the Evo instead of the Epic when someone SPECIFICALLY comes in to look at the Epic. I miss the widgets and the speakers on this phone have feedback but I as of yet have not dropped a single call. I have data service EVERYWHERE. With the Evo I had a lot of dead spots and hesitation especially in the market (mind you I had the Evo for over 3 months and I am way more than a power user, I'd describe my use as probably obsessive) so I'm acutely aware of any flaws. As I put it earlier to my coworkers who all have the Evo... I pretty much feel raped by having to use this inferior (in some ways) phone compared to my true love the HTC EVO....HOWEVER....I'd like to call my doctors office or the bank and not have the call disconnected in mid conversation...or best yet... when I call the MVC (dmv) to find out about the renewal of my NJ Surcharge which left unpaid could result in the revocation of my license just to sit on hold for 45 minutes and have the call drop LITERALLY seconds after the MVC rep gets on the line. I just went through a lengthy ordeal with Directv over EFC's and them billing my credit cards that they were not supposed to have saved on my one time payments..... I'd get someone willing to help me and my call would drop, then Id call back and get someone who basically told me to go eff myself. High stress as it is paired with a phone I feel should be able to handle what it was made to...you know, phone calls. I literally felt like I could have had an aneurysm one day and then I decided that I hated the Evo and I went through the process of selling it and buying the Epic. Reviews Unread. I probably shouldn't have been so hasty but it was months worth of thoughts about these damn calls and getting a new evo only to have it do the same thing. I have 6 phones and a data card, pardon me if I expect some service in the most densely populated state nestled between two of the largest cities in America.

Upvote 0
0 dropped calls ever on my Evo. Have fun with the epic. That phone is total CRAP. Saying it felt chincy is an understatement. I obviously don't know you personally, but you sure jumped the gun on this one, Debra. Enjoy your downgrade.

IT does feel chincy, and the Touchwiz interface is HORRENDOUS. I want to shoot myself just having to look at it everyday....but the upside is I am learning how to more thoroughly customize my phone and figuring out how to eliminate the UI all together and just crossing my fingers praying for great updates and miracles. If theres no word in a month or so, I'm selling the Epic, using an old Rumor 2 and getting that new HTC slider keyboard non 4g phone that should be coming out in December. lol Oh and Samsung is garbage, period, I got my brother the Intercept, lord is that a piece of sh*t

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones