• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alas, I am leaving the EVO for the Epic

The spring loaded keyboard is where the Epic lost me. I hate how cheap it feels when the two halves wiggle together while grabbing it. Contrast this with the Moto Droid's keyboard. I may have bought the Epic if the keyboard was like that on the Droid.

i would love see how the new Z-hinge on the HTC Desire-Z. It looks like a great design that would give the whole thing better rigid feel and sturdy.

Upvote 0
Had an EVO and thought I needed an EPIC due to the screen.

Never had dropped calls with the EVO...did with the EPIC.

Was really unhappy with the fact that it was a slider even though I thought I needed a real keyboard.

camera on the EPIC is better. Increased size on the EVO screen makes a big difference actually working on it.

Came back to the EVO as I now know which one is actually an all around better device....and I've still not dropped a call :)

On paper the Epic blows away the Evo. I had the Evo first and made the huge mistake of buying into the Epic's overblown hype. Yes the Epic is great and all, but it sucks at one thing, making calls.

I don't know wtf is wrong here in Milwaukee, I have Sprint[Evo, Epic], At&T[Iphone 3G], and Verizon[Droid] and they all suck at calling. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds before the call connects. I get drop calls all on 3 carriers. Yes, At&T is the worst at drop calls.

For 2 months with the Evo, I had zero drop calls. In a month with the Epic, I had more then 10 drop calls.

I love the Evo so much I went back and bought it even though I still have the Epic. The Evo is just a better over all phone.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if anyone else has had dropped call issues with their Evo? I love love love love my EVO but I cannot deal with the dropped calls. I've had Sprint for 8 years with damn near 30 different phones and I've been running at 89% call completion since I got it. This is my second Evo and Sprint I guess has taken on new policies of not satisfying the customer since retentions basically told me the old thing they could do for me is buy back my Evo for 125.....yeah, not happening. So I cancelled my line, selling my EVO on ebay as we speak, opened a new line and got the Epic. I finally got to play with it for the 2 hours I was sitting at the Sprint store the other day and I really liked it though it does seem a bit chincy and the 2.1 is disappointing since I really enjoyed having flash on my phone. Has anyone else used the EVO for an extended period of time and traded in for the EPIC? If so what was the biggest disappointment and improvements that you saw?

Thanks,
Debra
I am actually doing the opposite. I got the Epic on the suggestion of the sales guy at the sprint dealership. It is my first smart phone. After reading all of the reviews and looking more at the capabilities and comparisons of both phones. I am returning the Epic and getting the Evo. The Epic is a good phone, but it is just not what I was expecting. The keyboard is flimsy. It has a lot of play in it and feels cheap. The screen is nice but doesn't look all that much better then the Evo. I spent more time looking at the demo in the store and the other features like HDMI out, larger screen, and senseui(sp) just suit me better. I don't have experience either way with screen keyboard or touch keyboard so that part doesn't really matter for me, I can get use to either way.

My wife did like the Epic more though while we have had it and will probably get it when her upgrade is available in a few months. She will be upgrading from a non smart phone with slide out keyboard so she is used to that and likes the idea of that more.

Upvote 0
I am actually doing the opposite. I got the Epic on the suggestion of the sales guy at the sprint dealership. It is my first smart phone. After reading all of the reviews and looking more at the capabilities and comparisons of both phones. I am returning the Epic and getting the Evo. The Epic is a good phone, but it is just not what I was expecting. The keyboard is flimsy. It has a lot of play in it and feels cheap. The screen is nice but doesn't look at that much better then the Evo. I spent more time looking at the demo in the store and the other features like HDMI out, larger screen, and senseui(sp) just suit me better. I don't have experience either way with screen keyboard or touch keyboard so that part doesn't really matter for me, I can get use to either way.

My wife did like the Epic more though while we have had it and will probably get it when her upgrade is available in a few months. She will be upgrading from a non smart phone with slide out keyboard so she is used to that and likes the idea of that more.

welcome to the fold....

Upvote 0
My wife got the Epic first and I followed with the Evo (used, great deal). After 3 weeks, I think she would consider swapping phones but I wouldn't. Usually, having a keyboard makes a phone "more professional", but in this case, the keboardless Evo feels much more the business device than the Epic. The Epics quicker, the camera's better and the screen is amazing, but the Evo is the better all around device IMHO. The Epic feels cheaper, the gps is all but unusable, it seems slightly less sensitive and occasionally won't connect to our Airave (like the Pre it replaced). It also gets the occasional run away process that heats it up and burns battery (fixed with 2.2?), not the Evo. Even in pairing with our Garmin PNA, the Evo was flawless while the Epic wouldn't sync contacts and looses connection frequently. From the Garmins bt troubleshooting tool, it would appear that the Evo puts out a much stronger bt signal. The wife bought the Epic for the hard keyboard that she almost never uses anymore and constantly makes the comment that she wishes she had my kickstand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones