• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Album art with a Linux host system

gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I have seen some threads that discuss getting album art on Android phones. One of the best ones I have seen is here:

http://androidforums.com/android-media/1108-album-art.html

However -- there is relatively little information about getting artwork on the phone when the mp3 files are coming from Linux. I don't have Windows Media Player nor can I install much of the rest of the software as I'm not running Windows.

I do see someone mentioned to use MusicBrainz so I downloaded Picard 0.12 and installed the covert art plugin, and after loading up the folder and scanning the collection -- it's still a no go.

I know there is an app in the market that will download cover art but that's not the solution that I'm looking for. Does anyone have the definitive program that will properly tag mp3 files on Linux to be transferred to an Android phone with album art and proper ID3 tag?

If not, does anyone know the exact specs that Android is looking for in ID3 tags? I have read that Android doesn't like ID3 v2 tags, but works much better with v1 tags. Can anyone confirm EXACTLY what type of ID3 tag needs to be set and exactly what values it is looking for?

Cool thanks. A little bit of a late reply but I found that picard actually does work just fine -- I just wasn't aware of how to use it properly. Once you scan files and it tags them, it places the tracks with proper tags in a panel on the right side of the program. You have to click on them and hit "save" to actually write the ID3 data to the files -- simply scanning a folder isn't sufficient.

It was a pain to go through and tag things (for over 4000 mp3 files) but now that my collection is tagged, it will be rather painless to add new things and push them to my phone as it's just a few new files at a time (incremental changes as opposed to 1000+ files at once being pushed to my SD card).

Hopefully this will help others (including those who look into using Banshee)!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones