• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Album art

If your music collection is mostly comprised of albums, you can save a lot of disk space by not embedding album art in every file.

Adding a single JPG file per album folder is simpler than embedding that image (in an ID3 tag) inside each MP3 file of the album. Naming the file "albumart.jpg" works for me on the Sprint HTC Hero--but the album art may not show up until you start playing one of the songs from the album.

Behind the scenes the Hero copies the image to a numbered file in a root folder named "albumthumbs" as a JPG file without a file extension, usually resizing the image to about 320x320. (Once it has done this, you no longer need the original image file in the music folder.)

Upvote 0
...but the album art may not show up until you start playing one of the songs from the album.

Thanks citycreek - the bit about having to play a track before the player rescans the folder and picks up the album art was the key for me!

All working fine now with AlbumArt.jpg in every folder - I just need to go through and play the first couple of seconds of a track from every album.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Have copied my music direct to my SD card, and with it one art image, that now comes up with every track if I enable album art.
I've found one of the images in SD card> MP3>small.jpg but am unable to delete, read only,if I disable album art, all the the art comes down normally and displays ok.

Basically how can I get rid of this one [hopefully] file.

Thanks,
Max.

Upvote 0
hello mate i have been using album art grabber to sort my album art out , but i suspect you have your art saved to mnt/sdcard in a album thumbs folder , therefore it will show up with the same thing for every track , album art grabber was ok but could only find things marked as albums , yesterday i downloaded itag from the market and it allows you to go through each song one by one and get the art for that song .. so if you download itag from market (100% free) install it open it it will list all your songs, track by track , click on song and if not already there enter title of song, artist, and album .... if you dont know what albim it is just put artist name again then press search pic , it will find the pic click it then when on editor screen scroll down and press save , then you will have the right art for the right track or album

Upvote 0
Album Art Grabber, is just amazing, and very easy to use. There are two version and one of them is free. But all your songs have to be in your SD card. but once you open the application it took 15 seconds to find almost 100 album covers, give it another minute or two, and all the covers will appear on your music player. Really impressive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones