1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Alcatel Onetouch Fierce Auto Focus (Won't scan barcodes)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by evonna_21, Jan 26, 2014.

1. evonna_21

evonna_21 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    I have recently bought the One Touch Fierce 4 days ago. I am in love with the phone except the camera. The auto focus doesn't seem to be working with the barcode app.

I need to scan barcodes for a job I'm applying to. I can't scan any barcodes because the picture is blurry. I thought maybe the phone was defective but my boyfriend bought the same phone so his won't scan either. I can't afford to buy a Samsung. Is there a way to get the autofocus to work? Is there a setting in the phone? I would imagine there isn't a setting because of the word autofocus.

I've been up all night trying to figure out what to do with this phone. I've read online that I could buy a macro lens and that would help with the focus. Is this true? Or is it a way to replace the camera lens. I don't really want to return the phone because I only paid 30$ for it which was in my price range. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Mikito1976

Mikito1976 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    \
    \
    The phone doesn't have autofocus. Read the pros and cons to the left side of the page, which it seems to be the only con under it. Not bad! Specially for the price and specs.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Alcatel-One-Touch-Fierce_id8161

3. evonna_21

evonna_21 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    I wonder why metro pcs told me it does have autofocus. Do you think buying a macro lens will help me with the camera. It won't scan because the pic is blurry.

4. jokerpks

jokerpks Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 13, 2013
    Male
    Education
    New York
    Never rely on MetroPCS employees they have no knowledge on the phones they sell whatsoever. You're better off doing the research on your own, ironically they are the last people you should ask.

Nothing will fix the poor camera on this phone. I'm sorry to say you are stuck with it all though you can use an app called camscanner to sharpen words on the pics you take by increasing contrast. But most apps that require you to take a pic don't allow you to browse through the gallery to chose a photo because you have the ability to modify it.

5. BraceForImpact

BraceForImpact Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2013
    Yeah, the employees know next to nothing. Hell even a couple if websites I ran into said the Fierce had autofocus, alas it does not. It will still scan QR codes, but not barcodes.

6. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    They also told me the S4 was CDMA and I would get to keep my $55 Limited Unlimited Plan. Turned out the S4 is GSM, and I was forced to upgrade the plan even though the $55 limited unlimited plan was the same as their $60 plan.

7. evonna_21

evonna_21 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    Will buying a macro lens help the situation.

8. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    lol, why would you want to do that?

You could of just spend another $20, and got the LG F3 which would of had a much better camera than the Fierce. Unless you physically removed the camera from the phone, and added a better one, you won't be able to make the camera work the way you want it to. It's just its hardware.

9. peraza03

peraza03 Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2014
    I just bought my Alcatel Onetouch Evolve 2 4037T (the cheapest) last Saturday and came across with the same ordeal.
    I got a solution that works for me, though I plan to improve it.
    My solution is using a magnifying glass (10x I think) to help the camera to properly focus.
    I'm placing my phone about 12" above the barcode and start moving up the magnifying glass toward the camera until it fetches the barcode some 2 to 3 inches over it.Of course keep the camera, the glass and the barcode as pararell as possible to each other and make sure the light is enough. Also get an app with a good reader. I'm using the one from the MyShopi app which allows to scan along the largest side of the phone. I will continue testing others and looking for a more decent solution.
    It is what it is, this cheap phone has a cheaper camera that doesn't have the MACRO (flower icon) feature.
    Hope at least it works for somebody else. I just had to respect my budget.

10. peraza03

peraza03 Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2014
    The good news is I tried with an eye loupe (those used in watch repairing) and it works perfect.
    I tried with a 2X and a 5X magnifying power and both worked perfectly.
    All you need to do is to hold the loupe against the phone covering the camera lens. This worked with any of the readers I have been trying.
    The camera has self focusing capability, the issue being, the range, which I'm modifying by using the eye loupe, making it possible to focus on closer distances.
    Hope this will help. I'm satisfied with this solution.:)

Attached Files: