• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Alert from Mobile based on a value change in Firebase

asdafw

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
Hi,

I am trying to develop an app which will sound an alarm when value in Firebase db changes.
I am a part-time db admin and I want to get notified when ever a server is down or not accessible so that i can alert other team members. For this, I thought i can develop an app which will get triggered (with an alert sound) when the value in Firebase db changes (value in Firebase db will be updated from scripts running in other servers). I have completed the app but it only rings when the app is in the Foreground.
I am not an expert and i have developed this app by taking snippets from the internet. I am not sure whether this is the correct approach.
Could someone please guide me how WhatsApp notifies messages even though the app is killed? I can concentrated on that part of features and develop the app accordingly.

Many thanks!
-Sam

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones