• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alert Repeats on HTC Hero

D

Deleted User

Hello HTC Hero Gurus:

I just bought an HTC Hero (for my Sprint account). I get SMS test messages to alert me to problems with our systems at work. I need the alert sound to repeat until I acknowledge it (I may not have been in the room when the message was originally received). Is there a setting for that on the Hero? If not, any suggestions for an ap that will work?

Thanks.
reidlb

There are two options. One is to download Missed Reminder from the market. This allows you to configure reminders for SMS messages and missed calls, with a wide range of options for sounds, intervals and vibration. It has not been updated for a long time and I found that recently it has been taking a lot of Partial Wake Time, which could drain the battery.

The other option is Handcent SMS which also has a range of options for reminders. The reminders are not quite as flexible as Missed Reminder but come with the already excellent messaging app so you don't have to install anything else.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I stumbled across Missed Reminder and downloaded it before I read your reply. Just curiously, how did you know that it was taking alot of "Partial Wake Time"?
reidlb
There is an application from the Market called Spare Parts which gives you some additional data about battery and usage statistics. There are also some performance tweaks which might speed up some of the animations on the phone.

From testing the phone over the weekend, I am not sure that Missed Reminder has that much of an impact on battery usage even through it has a fairly high partial wake usage. For me the benefits of Missed Reminder outweigh the disadvantages.

Upvote 0
jaybea830802,

Thanks for the info, especially the "Spare Parts" application. I will certainly look into it.

So far I agree with you ... the value of the "Missed Reminder" application far, far, FAR outweighs any battery concerns for me (to this point anyway).

Thanks for all the advice and help. You folks are GREAT!

reidlb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones