• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alerts questions

Needsdecaf

Android Expert
Nov 6, 2009
Northern VA
Questions about alerts:

1) Is there a way to get your alerts to be sound only? It still plays a sound AND vibrates, and that's driving me nuts.

2) Is there a way for the "native" alert sound management software to recognize imported files for alerts? I've used a downloaded program that will allow me to pick song files, but it's use of them is inconsistent, even though when I go to the setting, it still has the file I chose listed.

3) Is there a way to have different alerts for different items: Gmail seperate from an SMS separate from an email?

I got spoiled by my BB Curve!!

I haven't used the stock messages app since I got the phone, so I'm speaking from a Handcent perspective.

1. If you haven't downloaded Handcent yet, do it. Go to the settings>notification settings and there will be an option to turn off vibrate for notifications.

2. Handcent also allows you to select an alert ringtone from your SD card. Easy as pie.

3. Yes, for each program, so to the settings and it will allow you to set the tone for the alert. Gmail and Handcent will allow you to choose your own. If you have another email acct set up, it will just use whatever you have set as your Alert tone in the phone's settings.

Now with a little further reasearch, I was able to disable the vibrate for alerts in the stock messages app's settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones