• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alien: Covenant

D

Deleted User

Anyone going to see this one?
Being a fan of the series, I was hoping that this film would answer the questions raised in Prometheus. Like who are the mysterious 'Engineers'? Why did they create the devastating bio weapon, and why was the guy at the end of the film trying to reach Earth.
I could be wrong, but I fear we won't get these answers.
Anyway, it looks scary as hell, judging by the trailers.

I have a soft spot for Alien 3 - maybe just because it's rare you get a film that unremittingly bleak from start to finish through Hollywood. And because it's better than the fourth one (clones from forensic traces that come complete with memories and the parasite that was inside her - I can suspend disbelief with the best of them but there simply are limits).

I'm half hoping that they don't try to squeeze too much of that storyline in and stick mainly with the basic premise.

Reactions: codezer0 and mikedt
Upvote 0
I totally forgot about the fourth one, it must have been that good. Probably like other sequel movies, things just get stupid and tired. Like Halloween, or Saw, or Friday the 13th movies.

Star Wars is another long runner that's had its up and downs for me. I thought Rogue One was great, the one before not so good, and Phantom Menace was dreadful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a soft spot for Alien 3 - maybe just because it's rare you get a film that unremittingly bleak from start to finish through Hollywood. And because it's better than the fourth one (clones from forensic traces that come complete with memories and the parasite that was inside her - I can suspend disbelief with the best of them but there simply are limits).

I'm half hoping that they don't try to squeeze too much of that storyline in and stick mainly with the basic premise.

I'd be surprised if there was any of that garbage in the new film. I think we're back to good old chest bursting and skull cracking, to keep the fans happy. :rolleyes:
I agree that Alien 3 was passable, and you're right, it was relentlessly bleak.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Well it looks from the initial reviews that this has gone exactly the way I thought it would. i.e. playing it safe with tried and tested, standard Xenomorph action. Basically just a re-heating of stuff that's gone before. Not that it's a bad thing, but I was hoping for something a little fresher from Ridley. But maybe his hands were tied by the studio?

No spoilers please, as I haven't seen the film yet.

Upvote 0
Now it's released in some areas, has anyone seen it?

I've got to wait until 16th June apparently..
105207.46698640_270X405X4.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Incidentally, I recently read the original screenplay for the movie which became Prometheus. The basic idea is the same as Prometheus (Engineer race creating life on Earth), but the details are very different. In the end, they radically changed it into the final version of the movie. But having read the original, I'm convinced it would have made a much better movie - easier to follow, and makes a lot more sense. Plus there's much more traditional alien action, to keep the gore fans happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones