• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

all about the Keyboard

Leob

Sep 9, 2016
What are the main complaints on the stock keyboard?
My main one so far is that the word suggestor and spell check seems a lot dumber than the iPhone? Anyway to fix that??
What are the best 3rd party keyboard apps, and their advantages/disadvantages? Do they slow down the Note 8 or consume a lot of memory?

keyboards are specific to each person and how they type. Difficult to try to prove why one keyboard is better than the other.

swiftkey is amazing because it DOES learn from your typing. you can also heavily customize the look and feel of it, vibration, etc. it even has cloud storage so you can easily backup your setting and customizations/ app color schemes.

rather than explain to you, you can go research yourself and find out if its an app for you to use.

https://swiftkey.com/en

the app will not slow down your phone.
the app will not consume a lot of memory.

its clear you are a long time iPhone user, and I understand there will be a learning curve with you to Android. I encourage you to spend some time researching more on Android and its differences over Apple in general.

Upvote 0
My main one so far is that the word suggestor and spell check seems a lot dumber than the iPhone? Anyway to fix that??

Can't really comment about that myself, having only used a Samsung Note7 for a couple of weeks last year, and the last iPhone I had was nine years ago, and have no interest in buying another one for various reasons.
What are the best 3rd party keyboard apps, and their advantages/disadvantages? Do they slow down the Note 8 or consume a lot of memory?

I have been a long time user of both Swiftkey and Google Keyboard(Gboard), both work well and certainly don't slow any phones down I've had.

Upvote 0
Why?
What are SwiftKey's advantages/disadvantages?
Does it use up a lot of memory or slow things down?
You complained that that the stock keyboard's word prediction and spell check seems a lot dumber than the iPhone. One of SwiftKey's best features is artificial intelligence -- the more you use SwiftKey the better it gets at next-word prediction and auto-correct.. You can Google "why is swiftkey the best keyboard", but I suggest you try it for yourself. You can also try Google Keyboard (Gboard). Both keyboards are free from the Google Play Store.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Whenever you're in a box that allows typing, look at the bottom right corner of the screen (waaay down by the recent apps icon—just to its right) on the images attached.

If you ever want to point using one keyboard for another, tap that keyboard icon there and you will get a popup with thre keyboards installed.

4695E9E9-1053-4DD5-8394-6198AF2A1387.jpeg
5249F05B-A092-4B12-9C72-BBA6F2A24F67.jpeg

Upvote 0
Hi everybody, I'm looking for s.o who could answer a simple question: If you install several languages within the Samsung keyboard, are predictions and auto-correct muntilingual ?
I mean if I you install French and English for example do you get only English auto-correct when you use the English layout or both French and English?
Many thanks for trying for me please because multilingual is very important to me!

Upvote 0
Hi everybody, I'm looking for s.o who could answer a simple question: If you install several languages within the Samsung keyboard, are predictions and auto-correct muntilingual ?

I get both. I have English and German on mine and I get auto correct for both. The only issue that I have is that the predictions are stubborn with distinguishing between "have" and "habe". Both mean "have", but sometimes "habe" pops up in place of "have". Otherwise I get predictions in both languages. The longer you use it the more it learns. Unfortunately for me, since I just got a new SGN8, I will have to teach mine all over again. It is a learning process for both the device and me:)

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, it's exactly what I needed to know!
Maybe know the reference of ur device?
N950F FD other ?
Thx again
I'm referencing the SGN8 (U.S. Version). I use the "Swift Keyboard" with it. It learns well, but seems to be missing the [.com] button that comes with the stock keyboard. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it and it's configuration possibilities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones