• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [All Carriers][ROM][4.4.4] ViperOneM8 | Android 4.4.4 Sense 6.0 - HTC One M8

I've been such a slouch. So busy, and am STILL on 1.8. I got cold feet when I saw Cap's sig had crossed out links LOL. Such a wuss I am.

I'm happy with it as-is, outside Wi-Fi calling. But if Wi-Fi calling is a bit glitchy, maybe it's wise to hold in a bit.
That had nothing to do with this ROM, lol

Reactions: Tre Lawrence
Upvote 0
That had nothing to do with this ROM, lol

I take full responsibility for adding to the confusion.

My posts are always TL/DR - or TL/CU (too long/can't understand) - and that's on me.

Anyway -

Anyway, it was a Sprint bug that Viper inherited, not a Viper bug. If in doubt and you're on Sprint, go ahead and don't use that feature until we're all clear on that.

Which, you covered for us earlier (and many thanks!).

I was going to suggest something like GPS Status and Tasker or something at startup but according to Phandroid, Sprint is sending out a wifi calling update for international use (read: Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, not Germany and Taiwan lol) and also - "GPS enhancements."

http://phandroid.com/2014/10/22/spr...-receiving-international-wifi-calling-update/

It's probably obvious what my guess is.

Anyway - I haven't had wifi calling before so I don't know what I'm missing. It's probably really cool. If it means yet another configuration thing just to make a phone call (and I already know it does) then it slams squarely into my too lazy to care nature. :rofl:

Which, like wifi calling issues, have nothing to do with this rom.

Someone stop me before I post again. :p :eek:

Reactions: Tre Lawrence
Upvote 0
Funny thing. I decided I was tired of the awful battery life with Viper 3.2.1 and am rolling back. I tried going to 2.5.1, but got stuck on the bootanimation. So I forced back into TWRP and restored my black Viper 1.8. Phone is much snappier now, just like new. Too soon to say about battery life as I still have the 4.4.4 radios, etc. installed. At this point the only thing I may miss is the Lollipop elements available in the Black Viper theme for 3.2.1. Otherwise, so far I am happy.

Reactions: dan55 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I keep wanting to update. Then I keep noticing that I'm happy.

Still on 1.8 lol.

Haha. An update. There isn't anything in 3.2.1 that I needed that isn't already in 1.8. And since I restored my backup well over twelve hours ago, my battery has gone down by maybe 30%. With 3.2.1 I'd be lucky to get that in extreme power saving mode. I got real tired of finding my phone dead every time I turned around on 3.2.1

Am I the only one on 3.2.1? Battery ain't too bad but I'm using a custom kernel so maybe that's helping.

You probably aren't but may be amongst some of us here. Personally with the hardware in these phones now I don't feel like shopping for a custom kernel as well. I just look for the ROM I want and if the kernel baked into it has faults, I'll just look for another ROM. But I am getting a bit lazy and not as flash happy as I used to be.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You probably aren't but may be amongst some of us here. Personally with the hardware in these phones now I don't feel like shopping for a custom kernel as well. I just look for the ROM I want and if the kernel baked into it has faults, I'll just look for another ROM. But I am getting a bit lazy and not as flash happy as I used to be.

Tbh I've upgraded and flashed a new kernel mainly because I could. I'm nowhere near as flash happy as I once was but I work 12 hour night shifts so I gotta be able to justify not doing any work for most of that time so flashing seems to fit the bill :p

Reactions: dan55 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've heard a lot about viper dropping hot spot connections which makes it a no go for me at the moment but it seems a lot of people in the Verizon Viper thread over at xda prefer it to Vipers stock kernel. Anyway buckmarbles official thread and download is here. There are a few different versions so be sure to grab the right one if you want to give it a try. http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...4-elite-kernel-for-vzw-spr-htc-one-m8.276292/

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've heard a lot about viper dropping hot spot connections which makes it a no go for me at the moment but it seems a lot of people in the Verizon Viper thread over at xda prefer it to Vipers stock kernel. Anyway buckmarbles official thread and download is here. There are a few different versions so be sure to grab the right one if you want to give it a try. http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...4-elite-kernel-for-vzw-spr-htc-one-m8.276292/
So far I've not had a problem with it dropping hot spot connections, or none that I've noticed. I'm using the international version tho so that could be a reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones