• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "All Contacts" choice does not display all

BJBBJB

Nov 3, 2011
This is kind of strange. I've searched but have not seen an answer to this issue.
I am running straight 4.0.2.

I have contacts under a gmail account and some under a corporate exchange account. The strange thing is when I choose "all contacts" it only lists like a third of my contacts based on the count at the top! However I found if I go into "customize" and check all the categories on both accounts, it does display all my contacts!

I tried to look at a few of the entries that only display when I choose customize and upon editing them, everything looks "normal". For example it would show it belongs to the gmail account, etc.

I absolutely understand if I select each account individually, the total might not add up due to android joining certain contacts. But that is not what I am talking about here. But based on looking at this, there seem to be numerous Google contacts that list under customize that do not under "all contacts" nor when just Google is selected.

Is there a cache file or something that can be deleted and force it re rebuild? Is this a "known issue" that I just did not find?

Another clue or bad side affect. The contacts "search" does not find any contacts that do not show up in the "all contacts" view. Even they they are clearly there in the "custom" view. If I call one of the "there but not there" contacts, it does show up on the favorites tab.

I've resorted and rebooted but no change. I guess I can live with it, however I lose my custom categories. Wouldn't mind fixing it.

Any ideas?

BJBBJB

Have you tried going into gmail in your browser and viewing contacts there? The gmail account on your phone will only display contacts listed as "my contacts" when viewed through the gmail contacts. It will not display "other contacts" - other contacts being, basically anyone you've ever emailed. For me, "my contacts" are 157 people when viewed through gmail, 158 people when viewed on the phone (b/c it includes 'Me" as a contact). If I go through customize and choose all the categories, it includes "other contacts" and ups the number to like 357.

For me, it works the way it should....only displaying my gmail account contacts that I have indicated as 'my contacts'.

I don't use a separate exchange account so I can't comment whether that is working or not.

Upvote 0
After extensive research, I have determined the "Missing contacts" from the contacts search and the "all contacts" list is all my gmail contacts that do NOT have groups (or categories whatever they called) assigned to them.

If I go to custom and just choose "all other contacts" they are all there!

And not one of those listed are searchable.

Hope this clue helps.

Thanks,
BJBBJB

Upvote 0
Tim,
I was unaware that contacts added people I have e-mailed to the contact list as "other contacts". However these are not the contacts that are missing.

However the group setup is indeed the problem. I have contacts in "other contacts" that are not just people I have e-mailed but full-fledged contacts. Somehow their group name is not set to "my contacts" or one of my other groups.

I was going to take this opportunity to assing appropriate group names to my contact on the phone. I have about 10 groups or so. However it is strange that my "other contacts" do not present the complete list of my groups as options to assign them to? So one contact might only list 4 groups....however when I look at some other contacts, I have a choice of more.

Of course if a contact is assigned to a group I would not expect to see that one listed. But I would think if a contact had no group assigned it would give me the option of assigning them to any of my groups setup up.

Thanks for your help.
BJBBJB

Upvote 0
Dear BJBBJB,
How do you get to " "customize" to check all the categories" on Gmail Contacts?
I've tried to find it and I'm not sure where it is. I have the same problem. Not all my Contacts are shown, but if I search for an specific one thats not being shown, it shows it to me.. =(

Under contacts (with ICS or JB) lower right corner menu, "contacts to display", then click on "customize". By going into my google "cusomize" options and selecting "all other contacts", I found my "orphan" contacts.

At the end of the day, what I did was make sure I assigned a group to each and every of these contacts . Then they all showed up. You can also look at your contact "count" with all contacts selected and try to add them up. I know it sounds crazy, but this is how I figured it out. Still not sure how those contacts were added that way. Of course if you add a contact on your phone, even without a "group", it should show up.

Anyway, find your "missing" contacts by going into customize, add them to a group, and then you should be good.

BJBBJB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones