• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[All Discussion}Your S Pen... Use It? /Help/features ect...

I don't think I'll want another phone without it. It just makes things easier.

Same here. I love the S pen.
Sometimes I use it on web pages. I don't accidently click the wrong thing with the pen like I sometimes do with my finger. I also love that I can take a screen shot of anything I see on my phone and make notes or draw on it. I have made many mustache pictures lol.
Lately I've been using it for school. I have an OCR program to turn some of the stuff in my books to pdf files and I can edit and highlight stuff with my phone. I can study anywhere and don't have to drag all my books with me.
I'm still looking for a good app for taking handwritten notes in class. As soon as I can find one like the Note Taker HD app I have on my iPad I think I'll retire it.
I use it for taking general quick notes too. I never seem to have a pen and paper when I need it but I always have my phone.

Upvote 0
just curious. if ya use it. what for?

With my GN1 I'd say I used the S-Pen about 30% of the time, with this, it's more like 80%. The only time I use my fingers now is when I'm using my phone briefly and usually while on the move. If I'm note-taking or planning on using the phone for more than a minute, the S-Pen almost always comes out.

I find it perfectly comfortable for all operations. It navigates perfectly well and is superior to a finger in almost every way. It has the button for extra functionality, has air view for additional information and using it keeps my screen squeaky clean, fingerprint and smudge free. Also I find that when navigating menu's etc, the S-Pen glides across the screen far better than a finger.

To summarise with the G-Note 1, my fingers were the norm and the S-Pen was optional... with this, my fingers are optional, the S-Pen is the norm.

Upvote 0
I would be interested in what S-PEN with eraser you guys are ordering. Please link (unless you did already and I missed it).

I use the S-PEN for everything!! My fingers do not touch the screen of my phone. That's a good thing as I don't have smears or fingerprints everywhere.

The best thing about the S-PEN is the Samsung Keyboard handwriting to text feature. Gets some getting used to, but once you get the hang of how to carefully handwrite your messages, the conversion to text is almost always perfect.

Again, if I am using the Note II, the S-PEN never leaves my hand. I use it for every function of the phone. Just wish it would work with the menu/back buttons on the corners of the phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that Drex, i was thinking of ordering myself an s pen with eraser for my birthday present to myself. After your brief review I'm convinced :thumbup:

I would be interested in what S-PEN with eraser you guys are ordering. Please link (unless you did already and I missed it).

I use the S-PEN for everything!! My fingers do not touch the screen of my phone. That's a good thing as I don't have smears or fingerprints everywhere.

The best thing about the S-PEN is the Samsung Keyboard handwriting to text feature. Gets some getting used to, but once you get the hang of how to carefully handwrite your messages, the conversion to text is almost always perfect.

Again, if I am using the Note II, the S-PEN never leaves my hand. I use it for every function of the phone. Just wish it would work with the menu/back buttons on the corners of the phone.

S Pen W/ Eraser (8PI), Black

There ya go! Just use the 50% off coupon and you're good to go. I wish they offered the BT S-Pen because I would've bought that one also. Nontheless, this thing is awesome for me, while I'm at work. I have my S-Pen ready to use, since my Note 2 is on the battery charger/stand and when I see a notificaiton come in, I'll just take the phone off standby, pull the notification bar down using the s-pen w/ eraser, check the message or whatever came in and put the phone back on standby. Of course, in order to do that, I use Widgetlocker which allows for the notification bar to be pulled down when the lockscreen is enabled (It has been my most favorite option on Widgetlocker, which isn't an option on the stock locker).

If you don't have a coupon, you can try the one that was posted on slickdeals recently:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5830130-50-...ginal-Note-2-and-s3-flip-case-19-99-Much-more

Upvote 0
all these replies are awesome. just what i was looking for.

can i say i'm kinda scared to take it out from the holster. lmao scared of loss or breakage perhaps. lol my way of "protecting" the device as a whole. don't know what it is.

but with all the replies here of how to use it/get the most usage of device. just may have to try it. lol never thought of it for replacing my fingers and the smudges. thought thats what the screen film protector was for. but screen protector & S pen sounds like a possible pb'n'j type of must have. lol

thanks all :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
I use the pen at work and some navigation. Lately I'm using a note taking app called papyrus instead of s note. I think hand writing is important and I'm happy to be doing it again. Typing text is one way I gather my thoughts. Hand writing is another. It is a benchmark of being civilized. We shouldn't stop doing it.

Upvote 0
all these replies are awesome. just what i was looking for.

can i say i'm kinda scared to take it out from the holster. lmao scared of loss or breakage perhaps. lol my way of "protecting" the device as a whole. don't know what it is.

but with all the replies here of how to use it/get the most usage of device. just may have to try it. lol never thought of it for replacing my fingers and the smudges. thought thats what the screen film protector was for. but screen protector & S pen sounds like a possible pb'n'j type of must have. lol

thanks all :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I've mentioned it before in some other threads, but the X-factor for me to get this phone was based on the S-pen and the software that Samsung built that works with the S-pen (must specify, that the software for Android because it's not possible to do the same things on their new ATIV Windows tablets). Now, after having the phone for over 2 months, the use of the S-pen has more than paid off.

I was more tentative using the S-pen, at first, until I had my SGP screen protector on there. For some, they don't like any marks on their screen (whether screen protector or naked). I personally will mark the heck out of my screen protector, so long as it means the glass on the phone stays immaculate. Once I installed my SGP protector, I'm using the S-pen as often as I possibly need.

For me, it goes way beyond just taking notes in meetings. In my line of work, I use so many things with the S-pen, which is why I'm likely to get the Note 8 tablet, as well.

Upvote 0
I use mine to jot down my shopping list for the week. I have a "shopping list" note saved on the phone, and whenever I realize I need something, I jot it down in the list.

Have considered taking meeting notes with the S pen but haven't tried that yet.

The one thing I recommend is writing in landscape, rather than portrait.

Upvote 0
Hovering over menu is cool but it's just as quick for me to tap on the item and open it.
I don't use the Samsung keyboard so can't use writing to txt.
I use Swiftkey and tbh it's faster than I could write anyway so the s-pen uses are limited for me.

Add to that my phone is generally in it's cradle on the desktop so I can't get to the pen anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones