• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All files default to internal storage

DoodleD

Jan 13, 2010
I just got off the phone with Motorola (and Verizon). It appears that all your downloaded files (except camera photos) automatically default to internal storage. There apparently is no setting to change this to default to your SD card. This will be a deal blower for this phone for me since I download many email attachments, music, etc. throughout the course of the day and need them to go to the SD card. I fear the phone will crash and require a master reset and my docs go unprotected and lost. Motorola says there is a work around to "cut and paste" or "move to" from internal to SD. Why would I want to have to go through all my downloads at the end of the day and move them? It seems I'm only creating more work on an advanced phone compared to my previous phones. I don't understand Motorola's reasoning on this default and why we are unable to control or set it accordingly for our needs. Am I missing something here, is it possible I have 2 defective Bionics?

I appreciate any suggestions or work arounds anyone may have.

Most of the apps I use are customizable enough to let you tell them when to put your files. K-9 Mail for one. All attachments go to the SD card. Same with Handcent, the best messaging app around.

Having said that ... whose to say that the sdcard is a more reliable means of storage than the internal flash memory of the Bionic? Hhmmn...

My two cents.

Upvote 0
Most of the apps I use are customizable enough to let you tell them when to put your files. K-9 Mail for one. All attachments go to the SD card. Same with Handcent, the best messaging app around.

Having said that ... whose to say that the sdcard is a more reliable means of storage than the internal flash memory of the Bionic? Hhmmn...

My two cents.

My thought process is if there is an issue with the phone, Verizons ultimate answer is master reset. Do you know if this will erase everything on the flash drive or because this is partitioned, are your files protected?

Upvote 0
My thought process is if there is an issue with the phone, Verizons ultimate answer is master reset. Do you know if this will erase everything on the flash drive or because this is partitioned, are your files protected?

When you do a master reset it gives you the option to also reset the internal memory but it is not requred in order to do the reset.

Reactions: DoodleD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones