• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help All Google related Services not Working

ObamaLemon

Lurker
Nov 1, 2021
For the last two days, any application that relies on google services or the google play api in any way has been unusable. This includes chrome, maps, gmail, the play store, any sort of location using app, and even google's calculator. The first time I noticed this problem was when I closed google payments after my phone reported it was using too much battery in the backround. After that, the signs started showing.

First, everything google related was taking forever to load, almost always just crashing. For example, chrome crashes while it tries to load a page, and if maps doesn't immediately crash, it shoes a blank map with the regular UI elements. My battery has been draining extremely fast, however, I don't know how I can view all backround processes like I would on windows. Even some apps that have little to do with google suffer, like discord taking 30 seconds to bring up a keyboard and for typed text to show.

I think something happened to google play services, but I can't find any way to view it (idk if it's an app or something?). If that's not the case, it could also be some sort of crypto mining virus. I used another browser to download bitdefender to do a scan, but nothing came up so idk.

I rarely go to forums, but I am truly stuck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen_Recording_20211101-171301_Maps.mp4
    5.9 MB · Views: 175
is google play services up to date?

and sorry but i'm not downloading a file i do not know what it is. i would explain what you attached to your post or take it down.
Sorry I've never used this site before. The file is a screen capture of google maps crashing when I open it. As for updating google play services, do I need the play store for that? The play store doesn't open at all.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
First, restart the phone.
Notice, I did not say to reset the phone- just to restart it- basically turning it off and back on again.

Second, try clearing the caches of Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Google, G-Mail, and Chrome.

Settings
Apps
(show all)
(three dot 'overflow' icon)
(show system)
(find each app)
Storage
Clear cache

No important data will be removed at this point.
Either it will help right away, or not.

If all else fails, you can do the above again, but this time clear data for the apps.
This will erase all your settings for each app you do, so be aware of that.

Things like this happening are fairly common, and was one of the things that eventually led me to stay away from Google as much as possible.

Get rid of Bit Defender, and any other app you have installed like it.
None of this is needed on Android, and the vast majority are junk that actually leaves your device MORE vulnerable than without it.

If you must, Sophos is considered to be the best (during testing it scores the highest), but like I said- none of it is necessary.
Anti-virus apps run constantly, slowing the device and eating up resources.

Google apps are much the same in this respect, especially Google Play Services- which is basically connected to everything.

Upvote 0
First, restart the phone.
Notice, I did not say to reset the phone- just to restart it- basically turning it off and back on again.

Second, try clearing the caches of Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Google, G-Mail, and Chrome.

Settings
Apps
(show all)
(three dot 'overflow' icon)
(show system)
(find each app)
Storage
Clear cache

No important data will be removed at this point.
Either it will help right away, or not.

If all else fails, you can do the above again, but this time clear data for the apps.
This will erase all your settings for each app you do, so be aware of that.

Things like this happening are fairly common, and was one of the things that eventually led me to stay away from Google as much as possible.

Get rid of Bit Defender, and any other app you have installed like it.
None of this is needed on Android, and the vast majority are junk that actually leaves your device MORE vulnerable than without it.

If you must, Sophos is considered to be the best (during testing it scores the highest), but like I said- none of it is necessary.
Anti-virus apps run constantly, slowing the device and eating up resources.

Google apps are much the same in this respect, especially Google Play Services- which is basically connected to everything.

So I cleared the cache on all of the google apps and restarted, but that did not work. Something weird is that when I tried to clear the data on google play services, it just shows a blank menu and the only way to get out is to close settings. However, I noticed that google play services has used 42% of my battery since I charged it, so that's definitely the culprit.

Side note, I usually don't run an anti virus on my phone, however, I wanted to do some sort of scan to check if it a virus using the recources on my phone.

Upvote 0
did this start to happen after an update?

you might want to consider doing a factory reset.
There was a recent android update but everything worked after that. Something I have noticed is that google play services is on update 21.39.17, which is not the newest version. I can't open the google play store to update it so idk. Maybe I can get an apk version or an updater in apk form?

Upvote 0
For the last two days, any application that relies on google services or the google play api in any way has been unusable. This includes chrome, maps, gmail, the play store, any sort of location using app, and even google's calculator. The first time I noticed this problem was when I closed google payments after my phone reported it was using too much battery in the backround. After that, the signs started showing.

First, everything google related was taking forever to load, almost always just crashing. For example, chrome crashes while it tries to load a page, and if maps doesn't immediately crash, it shoes a blank map with the regular UI elements. My battery has been draining extremely fast, however, I don't know how I can view all backround processes like I would on windows. Even some apps that have little to do with google suffer, like discord taking 30 seconds to bring up a keyboard and for typed text to show.

I think something happened to google play services, but I can't find any way to view it (idk if it's an app or something?). If that's not the case, it could also be some sort of crypto mining virus. I used another browser to download bitdefender to do a scan, but nothing came up so idk.

I rarely go to forums, but I am truly stuck. Any advice would be appreciated.

So I saw an option called uninstall updates, and while I didn't want to do something I couldn't undo, I didn't know what else to do. I took a leap of faith and that fixed it. Thankyou very much to everyone who responded!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones