• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All In One Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in the habit of making a weekly Nandroid backup, and every time I do I find myself wishing that RA recovery would list the name of the Nandroid file it just created before I reboot and dig up that information with a file explorer (I keep a log for the Ally and copy down these Nandroid names as they are made).

Could this be a possible feature upgrade for RA Recovery, to list the Nandroid name when it is done creating it?

Upvote 0
whats bad? using ROM manager to flash gnm's amonra recovery? or using CWM recovery?

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/352401-do-not-use-clockwork-mod-rom-manager.html

There had been a variety of users who ran into the same basic problem, and if I'm not mistaken, it points mainly to the use of CWM. Simply installing ROM Manager itself causes no harm of course.

whats even worse for our phones (ANY PHONE) is rooting without understanding what your doing, but people do it ALL THE TIME.
Agreed.

like i said, i advise doing it the manual way and if thats too much, maybe dont root.
I'd like to provide an analogy for you to illustrate that using a more efficient way is not, as you seem to imply, a bad idea. Take for example two different methods in basic Calculus on how to take a derivative of a function. The basic understanding in either case is that the derivative of a function yields another function that represents the slope of the original at any given point. If you're already familiar, cool. If not, just think of slope in common sense terms--skiing down a mountain that is sloped either steep or gently.

Taking the derivative the manual way, you must take the limit of the function plugged into the difference quotient as h -> 0. For an example, I'll use a basic equation: y = f(x) = x^2:

d(x^2) = lim.. (x+h)^2-x^2 = lim.. x^2+2xh+h^2-x^2 = lim.. 2xh + h^2 =
....dx.......h->0....... h........... h->0.......... h............... h->0 h .......h

lim.. (2x + h) = 2x
h->0

Or, you can take the derivative the super fast way, by simply reducing the exponent by a value of 1, and applying the original exponent as a coefficient of your variable. Demonstrated with the same function as above, f(x) = x^2:

d(x^2) = 2x^1 = 2x
....dx

Now if you're already familiar with this, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you're not, that's okay. Surely you can still see the MASSIVE difference in efficiency. In fact, the second method shown here is vastly used, and the first method is only taught practically as a formality to show where it comes from. You can learn what a derivative really is with either method. Once you start taking derivatives of much more complicated functions, it becomes impractical and illogical to use the long method.

Just the same, while I recommend that all new rooters heavily investigate what they're doing, understand what it is that they're doing, have a backup plan and a way to revert what they're doing, and overall be completely aware of the consequences, both potential and guaranteed, I believe that a rooter can understand these consequences in this context without going through and manually typing a bunch of stuff in ADB. Just the same, I enjoy administrator access on any computer I own, but I enjoy it at the level of a competent user--not a Windows developer.

Efficiency is a good thing, and is sufficiently separable in this context from the issue of knowledge vs ignorance.

EDIT: All of the above said, while it doesn't take much typing to manually flash a recovery, I look forward to when ROM Manager compatibility issues are addressed, and/or someone makes a competing app that achieves the same goal.

Upvote 0
Model: LG Vortex
Problem:
when entering
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
I receive this:
/sdcard/flash_image: no such file or directory

look where you put flash_image on your SD card. is it in any folders? for example, for anything I intend to install like this, or any zips I want to flash, I always put them in a folder on my SD card named "a". So in my case, I had to modify the statement to "cat /sdcard/a/flash_image....", so it would look in the correct location.

Upvote 0
look where you put flash_image on your SD card. is it in any folders? for example, for anything I intend to install like this, or any zips I want to flash, I always put them in a folder on my SD card named "a". So in my case, I had to modify the statement to "cat /sdcard/a/flash_image....", so it would look in the correct location.

Yeah I found it, thank you so much, it worked perfectly once I realized I had the stuff in a folder named "recov"

Upvote 0
This Custom Recovery works very well, once you figure out those commands.

BY the way, don't sell the LG Vortex short. It's a decent phone and a good successor to the Ally if money is an issue for you. (I got mine free after $50.00 rebate.) It's extremely easy to root and there is very little need for a custom ROM. Just delete the crap you don't want and install what you do. AND it runs Netflix! :)

I do miss knowing what's going on in the Ally community though. Doesn't look like anything juicy has emerged on the Custom ROM scene since Velocity 1.1 though. StormDroid isn't out yet, nor is CM7... and nothing else appears to be happening.

Upvote 0
This Custom Recovery works very well, once you figure out those commands.

BY the way, don't sell the LG Vortex short. It's a decent phone and a good successor to the Ally if money is an issue for you. (I got mine free after $50.00 rebate.) It's extremely easy to root and there is very little need for a custom ROM. Just delete the crap you don't want and install what you do. AND it runs Netflix! :)

I do miss knowing what's going on in the Ally community though. Doesn't look like anything juicy has emerged on the Custom ROM scene since Velocity 1.1 though. StormDroid isn't out yet, nor is CM7... and nothing else appears to be happening.

Netflix also appears to run on the Optimus M...

Upvote 0
when i coded
$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
it showed sumthing like this
"Usage : mount[-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory "

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
"cannot create /system/bin/flash_image:read-only file system "
please tell me what to do,..

Upvote 0
You must unzip flash_image.zip into root directory of sdcard (not in any folder)[/QUOTE]
and u answered

i put in the follow code & this is what i get.. (cannot create /system/bin/flash_image: read-only file system) help pleasee

Im guessing thats after the last part, did you enter "su" and get a "#" instead of the "$" AND THEN issue the remount command successfully??? Sounds like you just need to re-remount /system/

What kind of error would be helpful, if the error is because the file isnt there, then donw worry about it. All this does is rename the "program,script,installer,thingamijiggy" (not sure of the linux term) that will overwrite the custom recovery with the stock one.

when i coded
$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
"Usage : mount[-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory "

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
"cannot create /system/bin/flash_image:read-only file system "
please tell me what to do,..

Upvote 0
hey @ SIXPACK pls help...

Not sure in your case but did you do the following:

<Assuming you are using adb from pc command prompt> After you issue the su command it asks for permission in your phone for superuser approval, after you approve, did you then select the mount as mass storage on your phone again?

Don't exactly remember if that's how I did it but I think so.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Not sure in your case but did you do the following:

<Assuming you are using adb from pc command prompt> After you issue the su command it asks for permission in your phone for superuser approval, after you approve, did you then select the mount as mass storage on your phone again?

Don't exactly remember if that's how I did it but I think so.

Cheers!

no i hav used terminal emulator got permission 4rm superuser..and then typed those commands bt it showd sum different

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones