• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help All market apps crash after power off

D

Deleted User

After turning on my Incredible and swapping the stock battery with my extended battery, I was shown the start-up tutorial. After that, I was bombarded with about 5 FC messages.

My scene layout was still intact, but many of my icons were replaced with the little green Android guy, and tapping them resulted in the message "This app is no longer installed on your phone" and installed widgets said "error loading widget."

Any other market app I tried to run FCed immediately or after a few seconds running. Most pre-installed apps ran as if it were the first time running. Market only showed Gmail in my downloads. App list showed all the downloaded apps on phone, but none on SD.

Been running Android 2.2 with no issues up until now.

Searched various different things on Google and here, but found nothing. Help!!!

Same thing happened to me today. I power the phone down at night, pull the HTC extended battery and put the stock battery in so that I can charge the big boy externally. I do not power the phone on until after I've swapped the batteries in the morning. This morning, the Droid Red Eye seemed to stay on for way too long and when the phone finally came up, I had the same inital tutorial screen and had a number of installed apps that were no longer on the phone (with the generic Android icons on the screen). I also had numerous apps like Handcent, Color Note, Smart Keyboard Pro continuously Force Stopping. Google Maps reverted to a prior version. I had used Juice Defender for a few days and uninstalled it yesterday so I though that maybe that was the problem but after reading your post, I don't think so. Ultimately, I did a factory reset to clean the phone's OS out and restored some (but not all) of my market apps. The phone seems stable enough, even with a battery swap but I wonder if that process, even with the phone "powered off" may be causing the crashes. I hope not because if so, the DINC isn't long for my possession. The bump charging nonsense is not acceptable to me and the external charger tops the batteries off ay an honest 100%.

Upvote 0
holy crap the SAME thing happened to me yesterday. i had no idea other people had the same issue. its been a pain. all i did was power off to switch to slimmer battery before going out (i usually use the 2150) and when i rebooted it was like a factory reset! all my apps were still showing there but they all force closed. i reinstalled most of them and it solved the issue with the apps. ALL my contacts were gone (thank god for verizon's over the air backup) and the phone is now all sorts of laggy again. :(

Taking the fun out of this phone lately... ugh

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen, also seems to have corrupted my SD card. Some apps like app brain won't work even after uninstalling and re downloading.

Anyone have any idea what happened overnight?

Wow, I guess I feel lucky that my SD card wasn't corrupted, but other than that, I just had the same bad experience as everyone else in this thread. I got a new SEIDIO 2100 extended battery (which I'm very happy with btw), but when I swapped it with the old battery, it messed up my Incredible. What hell, man?! Apps that had worked reliably from Day 1 were crashing and FC. Aedict, Weather Channel, Juice Plotter, and more. I uninstalled them, reinstalled them, swapped the batteries back, but nothing helped.

I'd hate to do a factory reset because I'd probably lose Tasker Pro, but if I can't find another solution soon I'll have to try it.

Upvote 0
Same thing just happened to me at work today. My phone's been overheating the past week whenever I'd use it for more than 10-15 minutes and would reboot. This time, however, when it rebooted, I decided to take the battery out to cool it (HTC 2150 extended). When I put it back in a few minutes later, I get 6-7 Force Close notifications, especially on AppBrain. Non-rooted, updated to 2.2 FroYo. I'd really hate to do a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Had this happen to me as well awhile back. It's caused by an improper battery swap. Do NOT remove the battery during shut down. After you KNOW for a fact that the phone is turned off (on the Incredible, this is signified by a vibration sometime after the screen goes black), count to 10, THEN remove the battery.

If you remove the battery during shutdown (even if you THINK it is done, but it's really not), this error can occur. Any app not included in /system/app/ (IE, anything that you installed yourself) has the potential to be corrupted and FC. This can only be fixed by re-installing the affected app(s). All of your default settings would likely be reset as well.

A factory reset is a quick way to make sure that EVERYTHING is clean before you start installing apps, so that's the recommended fix.

Upvote 0
Had this happen to me as well awhile back. It's caused by an improper battery swap. Do NOT remove the battery during shut down. After you KNOW for a fact that the phone is turned off (on the Incredible, this is signified by a vibration sometime after the screen goes black), count to 10, THEN remove the battery.

If you remove the battery during shutdown (even if you THINK it is done, but it's really not), this error can occur. Any app not included in /system/app/ (IE, anything that you installed yourself) has the potential to be corrupted and FC. This can only be fixed by re-installing the affected app(s). All of your default settings would likely be reset as well.

A factory reset is a quick way to make sure that EVERYTHING is clean before you start installing apps, so that's the recommended fix.

Yep...

This says it all and is 100% correct.... I learned the hard way twice now...

Didn't figured it out the the first time, but this happened again last night.... and it is due to not allowing the Dinc to completely shutdown properly when the battery is yanked too quick...

I was forced to factory reset on both occasions.... I also learned not to reinstall app's too quickly (too many at a time).

When you go to reinstall after the factory reset, install a few at a time and seperate the installs by powering down and pulling the battery for a few seconds.... This allows the installs to not conflict with on another.

Lego

Upvote 0
Had this happen in December but my circumstances are different the phone powered down by its self and when I turned the phone on, the battery still had 50% left, and all of the things described in this post started to happen I looked in my SD card for files downloaded on the day it happened to see if there was something I may have downloaded and there were 4 downloads entitled download-x.apk. I don't know if these have anything to do with it cause I didn't download anything that day and I can swear that to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones