1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

All My Documents — Gone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wonkytoaster, Jan 24, 2019.

1. wonkytoaster

wonkytoaster Lurker

i created a lengthy, and very personal, document this morning along with other documents I already had on my phone. As I was typing I got a notification telling me my document had been uploaded to My Drive. I was not asked if I wanted it uploaded, it just happened. I had everything possible disabled to prevent this from happening. I went to My Drive to delete the documents, then followed up with emptying the trash as well. When I returned to the docs app, all my documents were gone. This is a very bad system. Hours of work are now completely gone. This should not be allowed to happen. As anyone would, I assumed My Drive was Google’s server storing a backup or copy of my document. Wrong! Thanks, Google!

#1 wonkytoaster, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Unforgiven, Jan 24, 2019 (3 points)
  3. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Use Dropbox, and log in your google account that way.

It saves your documents, and does not cost a thing!!

I feel your pain man, I do not ever use my drive on google!!

wonkytoaster likes this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Well My Drive is in the cloud so unless you saved stuff to your internal storage or a card in your phone those docs may only exist in your memory.
    Probably going to get banned from posting in this thread too...

Get online and look in Google Docs.

5. wonkytoaster

wonkytoaster Lurker

Thanks, but I do not want my documents, videos, photos, songs, etc. backed up on someone else’s server. I want them kept private on my own f’g phone. Why is this concept so hard for companies like Google and Apple to understand?!

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

They are growing companies @wonkytoaster.
    Information nourishes them.

7. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Well alternatively you can still keep them locked up on the comp,
    use a usb transfer them on your gaming system.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

@wonkytoaster, if you use Google docs it will save to Google Drive, no matter what. You would need to find another document editor that lets you save locally.

Deleted User and Hadron like this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

^This. Google Docs is purely a cloud service.

As for why, Google are not a search company, a hardware company, a software company or a service company. Google are an advertising company, whose business model is to collect and process as much information as they can so that they can sell their ad targeting. All of their products and services are designed to serve this end, and a tool that let you write documents on your device that you did not share with them would be worthless to them. And that's why you won't find them providing anything like that.

10. svim

svim Extreme Android User

If you insist on storing your data locally, only on your phone, than this is the kind of situation that can't be avoided. it's an either/or matter where you either have to expect to lose things from time to time or you accept that online storage services are a necessity. Smartphones cannot be relied upon as a stable or long-term storage solution, that's pretty much a given.
    A more secure online storage service is something like SpiderOak, or use a less secure service like Dropbox where you use something like Veracrypt to create an encrypted storage container that's just stored in your Dropbox account.

11. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Or you back up to a different device that you own. That means you have to do it, rather than it being done for you, but you don't have to go to some corporation's servers to back up a phone.

If it's really important, never keep just a single copy no matter where you keep it. Smaller cloud services have gone under before now, and nothing can ever be guaranteed.

12. svim

svim Extreme Android User

athenajackson3235 likes this.
  13. Kimmydawn1

Kimmydawn1 Lurker

How can u bring back pics and files and everything from your phone when it gets factory reset by mistake