• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help All my problems, all your suggestions

zmauls

Dec 5, 2012
So here's the deal.

I bought the HTC Evo V 4G knowing about the radio problems.

After some grueling work (though I now know how to do it and it would surely take 1/4 of the time), I am rooted, unlocked, and S-off. Everything seems to be going pretty well, I still sometimes cannot make calls, but I am in a pretty disclosed area. Since flashing the Hboot (1.4) followed by PRI Radio (suffix .808) I have not received the radio interference error once.

However, I am still suffering some difficulties. I am running the newest version of Harmonia, which I do like. However, I am super obsessive compulsive about my electronics (surely some of you can relate), and I am aggravated that the stock voice recorder is no longer present. I used to be able to record my voice right into an SMS message and send it. Now, I cannot. The voice recorder is no longer on my phone, and it's bothersome that the option to use it is still there when I press the "attach audio" button. Also, when I run bootloader, my phone still says Hboot 1.7 and Radio suffix .406, though I have flashed both the older Hboot and radio (seemingly successfully, but apparently not? Not sure). Finally, I now have the problem that when I pull my phone away from my ear during a phone call, it stays dark. I'm not sure if that's Harmonia or what.

And on top of everything, today, the day I finally complete everything, i.e. today, HTC decides to release the radio update making the (completely) stock version of this phone pretty decent.

So what do I do? Before I make any irrational decisions, I'm asking you, the pros. I've considered the following options:
Flash CM10 GANGNAM and see if there are improvements.
Rerooting and turning S-off and going back to original stock, then updating the OTA from HTC.
Throwing my ******* phone out the window and telling Virgin I lost it.

Please give me your opinions, I want these issues fixed by tonight or I might go crazy.

Thank you.

So here's the deal.

I bought the HTC Evo V 4G knowing about the radio problems.

After some grueling work (though I now know how to do it and it would surely take 1/4 of the time), I am rooted, unlocked, and S-off. Everything seems to be going pretty well, I still sometimes cannot make calls, but I am in a pretty disclosed area. Since flashing the Hboot (1.4) followed by PRI Radio (suffix .808) I have not received the radio interference error once.

However, I am still suffering some difficulties. I am running the newest version of Harmonia, which I do like. However, I am super obsessive compulsive about my electronics (surely some of you can relate), and I am aggravated that the stock voice recorder is no longer present. I used to be able to record my voice right into an SMS message and send it. Now, I cannot. The voice recorder is no longer on my phone, and it's bothersome that the option to use it is still there when I press the "attach audio" button. Also, when I run bootloader, my phone still says Hboot 1.7 and Radio suffix .406, though I have flashed both the older Hboot and radio (seemingly successfully, but apparently not? Not sure). Finally, I now have the problem that when I pull my phone away from my ear during a phone call, it stays dark. I'm not sure if that's Harmonia or what.

And on top of everything, today, the day I finally complete everything, i.e. today, HTC decides to release the radio update making the (completely) stock version of this phone pretty decent.

So what do I do? Before I make any irrational decisions, I'm asking you, the pros. I've considered the following options:
Flash CM10 GANGNAM and see if there are improvements.
Rerooting and turning S-off and going back to original stock, then updating the OTA from HTC.
Throwing my ******* phone out the window and telling Virgin I lost it.

Please give me your opinions, I want these issues fixed by tonight or I might go crazy.

Thank you.

Where to begin...okay so, hboot 1.7 is wrong...I think virgins stock is 1.57 or 1.58. Could be wrong, but I'm S On, so I know its one of the two.

As far as the stock update, you could run the RUU, after locking the bootlloader again, and take the ota. Honestly, that's what I did. Lock and ruu, ota, done. Then I rooted again, just for a theme.

Of course, you could also flash the stock Rom by jmz. Then you'd get the stock feel, and the voice feature back, I believe.

As far as Gangnam style, that will be a no go if your hboot isn't 1.04, I believe.

Upvote 0
Where to begin...okay so, hboot 1.7 is wrong...I think virgins stock is 1.57 or 1.58. Could be wrong, but I'm S On, so I know its one of the two.

As far as the stock update, you could run the RUU, after locking the bootlloader again, and take the ota. Honestly, that's what I did. Lock and ruu, ota, done. Then I rooted again, just for a theme.

Of course, you could also flash the stock Rom by jmz. Then you'd get the stock feel, and the voice feature back, I believe.

As far as Gangnam style, that will be a no go if your hboot isn't 1.04, I believe.

Okay, yes it actually says HBOOT 1.57, being the VM stock. Also, the radio suffix is 426. I flashed an earlier bootloader though, along with the 808 radio. Should these be updated and show up in my bootloader? If so, what could I be doing wrong? Like I said, I am not getting the error any more. If I did something wrong, that seems strange. Is there a way to get the update while root/s-off? Rerooting and locking looks a bit complicated, though I guess I did get through the opposite. If I can get the update without doing that though, I'd like to. As far as the voice recorder, maybe I should just run a different ROM? Is there a way to set a market app as my new primary voice recorder?

Upvote 0
Okay, yes it actually says HBOOT 1.57, being the VM stock. Also, the radio suffix is 426. I flashed an earlier bootloader though, along with the 808 radio. Should these be updated and show up in my bootloader? If so, what could I be doing wrong? Like I said, I am not getting the error any more. If I did something wrong, that seems strange. Is there a way to get the update while root/s-off? Rerooting and locking looks a bit complicated, though I guess I did get through the opposite. If I can get the update without doing that though, I'd like to. As far as the voice recorder, maybe I should just run a different ROM? Is there a way to set a market app as my new primary voice recorder?

Honestly, I can't answer what you're doing wrong. Sorry about that. As far as root with the ota, it will not work. Needs the stock HTC recovery. However, there are roms that have the update baked in, as far as the various libs and whatnot.

Different roms all have pros and cons. You can flash a few, and see which one tickles your fancy. Some remove different apks, so there may be one with the voice recorder. As far as a play store app? I'm sure there is one you can use, but again, never tried it. So I can't say a definite app.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I can't answer what you're doing wrong. Sorry about that. As far as root with the ota, it will not work. Needs the stock HTC recovery. However, there are roms that have the update baked in, as far as the various libs and whatnot.

Different roms all have pros and cons. You can flash a few, and see which one tickles your fancy. Some remove different apks, so there may be one with the voice recorder. As far as a play store app? I'm sure there is one you can use, but again, never tried it. So I can't say a definite app.

Is the update really that big of a deal? And any suggestions as to why, despite the Bootloader claiming the HBOOT and RADIO are stock, my phone is miraculously working much better? The new boot and radio would definitely show in the bootloader?

EDIT: and what about the dark screen when pulling the phone away from my ear?

Upvote 0
Is the update really that big of a deal? And any suggestions as to why, despite the Bootloader claiming the HBOOT and RADIO are stock, my phone is miraculously working much better? The new boot and radio would definitely show in the bootloader?

The update changes the radio, which you have done already I believe. So really, you aren't missing much.

As far as the bootloader, it would indeed reflect the changes that you made. Not sure why yours are not taking, if you are s off though...

Upvote 0
The update changes the radio, which you have done already I believe. So really, you aren't missing much.

As far as the bootloader, it would indeed reflect the changes that you made. Not sure why yours are not taking, if you are s off though...

Definitely S off, says so in bootloader. I think I may have found the problem. In the guide, it says copy it to your SD card (the root of it.) I have been copying the Hboot zip to my ROMS folder and flashing it from that. Is this the issue? Where is the root of my SD card?

Upvote 0
If you plug it into your pc, you'll see either a removable drive (E, F, etc...) Or some variant. I assume you are on windows. Open up that drive, and then you are in the root. Do not go into any subfolders. Copy it to that removable drive, and you will be set. Remember. One at a time.

Alright, right on. Going to try this, fingers crossed. I'll be updating this thread momentarily.

Upvote 0

Indeed, the problem was I was loading into recovery. I am currently Hboot 1.4 and radio changed to .0808. I am running on MidnightRomS and absolutely love it. I have one, and only one, remaining problem. My time/weather sense widget isn't picking up the weather, just giving my location. Any tips?

Edit: Also, no number on my messenger app icon showing how many messages I've received. Neither of these are too big a deal compared to how much better the phone is now, but if they can be fixed I'd like to know how.

Edit2: Just fixed the second easily with Teslaunread Plugin. The first is still an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones