• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help All photos deleted/disappeared

Bugdog

Jan 19, 2010
Chicago
Okay, so I've searched and found nothing similar to this - my phone deleted all the pictures that I've taken, every single one. From the SD card. I haven't done anything unusual, although the phone did a spontaneous reboot this morning. All the rest of my files seem to be there, including some desktop background images that showed up in the photo gallery - it just deleted the photos that I've taken. It's not rooted or anything, just running stock with the OTA update. WTF is that all about? I am beyond fed up with this kind of garbage.

Try browsing to the files with the file explorer or an add on one, they may still be on your card. Or put the card in your computer and view it with Windows Explorer and look in various directories to see if they are still there.

Also, good rule of thumb is to back those files up daily from your phone.

Reactions: Bugdog
Upvote 0
I did try looking around on the card, both on the phone and with it hooked up to my computer - no luck. I don't have another SD card reader to try; for the moment I'm considering it a loss. Maybe it will serve as a warning to other people to back them up every day as you suggest. Still, the whole "this phone may self-destruct at any time" aspect of owning this thing is just not worth it - it's so unreliable it's a joke.

If by some magic I find the deleted photos, I'll be sure to post an update. If anyone knows that kind of magic please feel free to chime in.

Upvote 0
Anyone not read the news?
Samsung Behold II SD Card Issues Result in Loss of Saved Pictures? | Android Phone Fans

Anyways this is just part of the SD card issue that has already been discused. Its related to some users getting generic non branded sd cards. As I posted here and on the article, my sd card was a branded one(samsung). So if you continue to have this issue, you can either complain to Tmobile about replacing the sd card, or buy a larger capacity brand name card.

Upvote 0
wow this happened to me on friday night, sat i woke up and noticed it said no sd card (something to that nature) mixzing said no memory card found. i checked i had no pictures no music, no wallpapers. put it in my sons phone nothing came up, tried it on computer nothing came up, everything gone. only thng that bother me was my sons pictures i cant get back..oh well. glad to know its not just me at least

Upvote 0
I did try looking around on the card, both on the phone and with it hooked up to my computer - no luck. I don't have another SD card reader to try; for the moment I'm considering it a loss. Maybe it will serve as a warning to other people to back them up every day as you suggest. Still, the whole "this phone may self-destruct at any time" aspect of owning this thing is just not worth it - it's so unreliable it's a joke.

If by some magic I find the deleted photos, I'll be sure to post an update. If anyone knows that kind of magic please feel free to chime in.

If the photos are really important to you, there are a number of recovery programs out there for flash cards that does a good job of scanning them for missing images. I have used one several times successfully, even if you deleted them on purpose these programs can bring them back. Just do a google search for them.

Upvote 0
wow this happened to me on friday night, sat i woke up and noticed it said no sd card (something to that nature) mixzing said no memory card found. i checked i had no pictures no music, no wallpapers. put it in my sons phone nothing came up, tried it on computer nothing came up, everything gone. only thng that bother me was my sons pictures i cant get back..oh well. glad to know its not just me at least

See my other post, the card was corrupted, but you can still get your images back with any number of flash card recovery programs. They works well generally.

Upvote 0
Anyone not read the news?
Samsung Behold II SD Card Issues Result in Loss of Saved Pictures? | Android Phone Fans

Anyways this is just part of the SD card issue that has already been discused. Its related to some users getting generic non branded sd cards. As I posted here and on the article, my sd card was a branded one(samsung). So if you continue to have this issue, you can either complain to Tmobile about replacing the sd card, or buy a larger capacity brand name card.

Totally missed that article - thanks.

Upvote 0
i have not broke down and get a new card since this issue. is there not a way to take a picture without the sd card..wont let me do it tells me to insert card. just seems crazy to me that i cant save a pic on the phone storage

not to thread jack..but outside of the 1.6 update (which i never got and im clueless on the flashing) is there no way to have swype on the phone, when i tried to redownload from their site says i need a memory card?

Upvote 0
I just encountered the same problem on my Samsung SPH-M900. I had installed the 3D gallery apk months ago and had no issues. Just recently, all of my media was deleted upon launching. It even removed the corresponding directory where camera photos are taken and re-created one over it. Somehow, all of my videos were deleted as well.

I plugged my phone into my Linux workstation, unmounted the drive, and worked directly on the device. In this case it was something like /dev/sde1. I actually used `ddrescue` to image the device to a local file first.

I used `autopsy` to try to recover deleted files. Apparently, file pointer references were gone as well!!! `foremost` was able to carve 98% of my images and video out. I had to add the following entry to my foremost config file to capture 3gp video files...

Code:
        3gp     y       500000000       ????\x66\x74\x79\x70
If you know the proper hex for 3gp footer information then I'd be interested in knowing. Otherwise, I think it's just a bunch of null padding until the ending block size ends.

In order to weed through junk jpg images I used jhead to find photos with EXIF information related to my phone.

Code:
\ls | xargs -n50 jhead -c -model SPH-M900 > found.txt
Good luck!

Upvote 0
My phone attacks on video too and it happened several times (probably once in a month). It deletes all the photos and videos not only from the Gallery but from each and every folder. I remember, once I am in the movie list and it starts deleting the file and reducing the list. I am seeing it in front of my eyes but I'm helpless to do anything. So, I immediately reboot the phone.

I guess backup is not the solution for everyone. Taking backup and specially restoring it takes very long time.

I have Samsung Nexus S 16gb andriod 2.3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones